Thread: sussex newbie seeks cam advice

Default sussex newbie seeks cam advice

Hi canoe friends, I am Hamish from Sussex, i enjoy getting out on our local stretches like the adur, arun and cuckmere. Most years i get out with friends further afield for a longer trip. The River Avon around Salisbury was eventful! We wont be going back there any time soon! I am planning to revisit my old home town of cambridge with some sussex families in open canoes. We try to have an annual canoe camp with the kids. Is there anywhere to camp on the Cam within a few miles of the town? Many thanks, Hamish

Hello and Welcome!

Can't help you with the Cam, but maybe see you on the Sussex and Surrey rivers sometime, as that's my part of the world.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

I've only recently starting Exploring the Cam. The section up stream from granchester to the M11 bridge is an easy short paddle, but has no camping spots near by. Under the M11 bridge the Cam splits in two, one half going to Sawston via Hauxton Mill, the other going Harston Via Haslingfield. Both routes are pretty much dyke paddling, a few nice spots but mainly high banks, and low trees with alot of natural debris in the water. (Am slowly clearing it on my evening trips out with my trusty Bahco saw.)

The run off from Hauxton Mill is very shallow at the moment, theres a couple of options for portaging at the mill its self, but make sure when putting back in you go to the right of the mill house, not the left. otherwise you'll come against another weir within thirty meters. the route from there meanders through farmers fields and under the M11 a couple of times, gets scrapy under the little bridges at shelford. Then deepens again as it narrows down to Shelford. (I've not been any further.)

Haslingfield / Harston route is a bit clearer up to the weir at Haslingfield, there's one tricky obstruction i've not managed to clear yet, a tree with a lot of rubbish (including an old tent intwined) thats fallen into the river and blocks the way. Portage around the weir is easy enough. Once you get to the back of Harston though it gets very shallow. Again i've not got past this point.

Going the other way i'm afraid i can't be much help as i've not gone further than the Backs. (So far.)

Happy paddling.

Hi Hamish and welcome to SoTP
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

Paddling the Cam through The Backs in Cambridge is an experience. If your there at the weekend, go early, from lunchtime onwards you'll be competing with the commercial punts (16+ passengers and sometimes pretty intolerant) and the numpties (Pimm's powered, random navigation). There are a couple of blogs on the site with plenty of details, I usually get on at Lammas Land car park (free but with a limited height access, fills up quick on a Saturday).
    Further downstream the Cam transitions from suburban to agri-business with quite a few rowers.
    Don't know much about camping near the Cam, the Great Ouse and its backwaters around Huntingdon & St Ives might be an option, There are campsites, some riverside, I haven't used them so can't comment on their quality.

Hello Hamish and welcome to the forum.
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com

I can't think of any campsites on the river near Cambridge. There would be opportunities for discreet wild camping north of bottisham lock, or south of Granchester. I occasionally see people camping on Granchester meadows, but they probably shouldn't.

Sam

Just noticed that the 'five miles from anywhere' pub at Upware (about 10 miles north) has facilities for caravans and vans. Might be worth a phone call.

Sam

Try going on Uk Camping web site. You should find some thing on there.

That post was 2 years ago
    So we beat on,boats against the current,bourne back ceaselessly into the past.