Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: waterproof cameras?

Quote Originally Posted by flat cap Andy View Post
    Sure, here is my professional one, being built at moment, so lots of spelling mistakes and not enough https://www.yellowdoorphotos.com
    and here is my more personnel B/W Rolleiflex site: https://www.myrolleiflex.co.uk/
    I like! Love the black and white personal pics with the Rolleiflex. I bet they fit beautifully with the rest of the family albums.

The commercial site is impressive, just needs the typos sorting I had no idea that you hobnobbed with the great and the good ! Very impressive studio and location images, nice one. I assume that this is a full-time profession?

Yes lucky I was too stupid have a proper job.
    Up North in the late 70s/earley 80s school leaver jobs were very thin on the ground. So with my parents pulling out their hair I went to college to study photography, one of the few courses open to my O level grades! Once I scraped a pass on that course it was down South, along with many Northerners, to the land of the yuppie and regular work. I have been a photographer ever since!
    Thank you for the complements, does photography support your canoe habit also?
    Last edited by flat cap Andy; 21st-May-2017 at 07:34 AM.
    '...you can led a horse to water but a pencil must be lead...' Stan Laurel

Quote Originally Posted by flat cap Andy View Post
    Thank you for the complements, does photography support your canoe habit also?
    Not to any great extent to be honest. I started a wedding photography business about 10 years ago. It was building very nicely and I was about 12 months off jacking my job in to go full time when I was struck down by a bit of a nasty neurological condition that screwed me up for about 5 years so I abandoned it all. During my "bad" time I started selling prints through several sites and then sold my soul to the stock industry. It's nice regular pocketmoney for no further effort though so not complaining My Fineartamerica site is linked below. That's the one that does the best business for me.
    Last edited by meirion; 21st-May-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by meirion View Post
    Not to any great extent to be honest. I started a wedding photography business about 10 years ago. It was building very nicely and I was about 12 months off jacking my job in to go full time when I was struck down by a bit of a nasty neurological condition that screwed me up for about 5 years so I abandoned it all. During my "bad" time I started selling prints through several sites and then sold my soul to the stock industry. It's nice regular pocketmoney for no further effort though so not complaining My Fineartamerica site is linked below. That's the one that does the best business for me.
    Great site with strong graphic images...making money can really spoil your enjoyment of photography!
    '...you can led a horse to water but a pencil must be lead...' Stan Laurel

Having just returned for a paddling trip to Coniston as part of a Paddlesport Leader assessment (I was being lead, not leading), I can confirm that an Olympus TG-4 really is waterproof.
    I accidentally fell out of my canoe three time today. My camera was tied to a thwart with a piece of string so it's been swimming too. It still works! Phew.

RBM109, good to see a real life test of the waterproof quality. Good to know

+1 on the Nikon Coolpix (AW130 in my case).

Waterproof 30m/100ft (feels as strange submerging a camera as it does drilling holes in a canoe)
    Shockproof to 2.1m/7ft
    Full HD (and then some)
    WIFI built in
    GPS / compass build in
    Digital map display
    Fits in BA pocket
    Amazon @ 270 (ish)

Just need to learn how to use it properly

This swayed my decision toward the TG-4. Ken Rockwell's review, a Nikon lover!

The Olympus TG-4 isn't quite as tough and costs more, but it's superior in every other way.
    For instance when it comes to ergonomics, it takes seven clicks to get the clock to display in the AW130, while one held button on the TG-4 shows a screen where I can check not only the time, but also the depth or altitude and GPS location. This is handy when I'm not wearing a watch out in the water.
    Depth Rating
    100'/30m
    50'/15m
    Access doors
    One
    two
    Sharpness (online)
    Excellent
    Excellent
    Sharpness (5-foot prints)
    Poor
    Good
    Included strap
    Flimsy shoulder strap for land use
    Tough wrist strap perfect for water use
    C1 C2 presets?
    no
    Yes
    Color Rendition
    good
    Excellent
    Ergonomics
    poor
    Excellent
    Fill flash
    poor
    Excellent
    Weight
    7.8 oz./222g
    8.6 oz./243g
    Price, 3/2016

I read a few reviews and scrutinised a few 100% magnified images before I decided that the the Nikon was not for me (bit soft) and the Olympus won. Lens quality/image quality are paramount to me and the Olympus wins in these departments. Other folk have other priorities and that's fine. Different strokes for different folks is what they say, I think!.....
    Last edited by meirion; 25th-May-2017 at 09:03 PM.

How much!!!!

Forget that, Aldi, 30 ish, has been in the North sea as many times as I have in the past couple of years, including kayak surfing in January!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcs View Post
    How much!!!!

Forget that, Aldi, 30 ish, has been in the North sea as many times as I have in the past couple of years, including kayak surfing in January!
    Good for you!

Some of us have pretensions to maintain though.

Quote Originally Posted by rbm109 View Post
    Good for you!

Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Quote Originally Posted by rbm109 View Post
    Good for you!

Nice, I prefer to spend mine on watercraft and all the other things that get me and keep me on the water, narcissism isn`t my thing

Rather than narcissism it's probably a bit more like discerningism that's coming into play I think Malcs. Many photographers using land based, high end cameras, are used to a level of image quality that they cannot abandon when upon the water but cannot risk their land based pride and joy. Image quality is important to us. As said further up, "different strokes for different folks".

how are the "doors" on the olympus sealed and locked?
    i am asking because in proper under-water use, this seems to be the weak point judging from my repeated experience with these "waterproof" cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by lowlander View Post
    how are the "doors" on the olympus sealed and locked?
    i am asking because in proper under-water use, this seems to be the weak point judging from my repeated experience with these "waterproof" cameras.
    Assuming it hasn't changed since the TG2, they have a thick rubber seal that squashes against the frame, then a sliding latch that keeps it in place, followed by a second sliding lock. My TG2 has swum with me on numerous occasions, and did the odd bit of underwater stuff, but I've not had it under for more than a minute or so.

My coolpix I got for christmas is doing ok too. I'm liking the colour reproduction.

Lens fogging and such is still an issue but not as bad as with my last casio exelim. I find the biggest problem with waterproof compacts is lens flare from low angled sun and backlight.

I like being able to pick it up in one hand and just take a quick snap.

Here's the blogg with my first trip out with it:
    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...-Derwent-Water

The casio is still working but it got dropped (by nobody) which broke a lump off the casing so it's no longer waterproof.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

My first waterproof camera was an Olympus Tough 790SW. Main negative point about it was the white balance in environments with little color. Canoe colors would get over compensated on gloomy winter trips.
    My current waterproof camera is a Canon Powershot which was reviewed to have good low-light characteristics... White balance in "adverse conditions" is just as bad as with the Olympus and what's worse: water doesn't drain from the lens.
    I never had any problem with wet lenses with my Olympus and my next camera will be an Olympus again. What's the use of a waterproof camera if you can't take any proper pictures because there are waterdrops on the lens most of the time?
    Best use I had for the Canon was for taking underwater pictures, like on snorkeling trips and shallow dives (shallow for the light, not the waterproofnes).

As said: next waterproof camera won't be a Canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Assuming it hasn't changed since the TG2, they have a thick rubber seal that squashes against the frame, then a sliding latch that keeps it in place, followed by a second sliding lock. My TG2 has swum with me on numerous occasions, and did the odd bit of underwater stuff, but I've not had it under for more than a minute or so.
    thanks mal. how easy is it for little things, like dust particles, to get caught in the seal and cause a leak?
    that is what keeps flooding my panasonic. to be fair it took a few of these attempts during snorkelling but i think it is finally clinically dead.

Whenever I close one of the doors I give the seal a good old blow to make sure there isn't a stray hair or anything else sat upon said seal. Should be precaution enough to keep it all dry. If not, I'll be miffed! It's going out to Greece on holiday with me in a week's time so is going underwater for a proper "dip". Will let you know if it survives!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks mal. how easy is it for little things, like dust particles, to get caught in the seal and cause a leak?
    that is what keeps flooding my panasonic. to be fair it took a few of these attempts during snorkelling but i think it is finally clinically dead.
    Never had a problem, I do rub round the seal before I close it. Nice positive action. You don't need to open the batter/SD card often at all, as the battery charges in the camera, but the second door with the connecting sockets gets opened regularly. Mine's done hundred of trips now, so I keep wondering if it'll wear out/start leaking or whatever soon, but no sign of that. Not used it as much this year though.

Rather than narcissism it's probably a bit more like discerningism that's coming into play I think Malcs. Many photographers using land based, high end cameras, are used to a level of image quality that they cannot abandon when upon the water but cannot risk their land based pride and joy. Image quality is important to us. As said further up, "different strokes for different folks".
    Yeah probably a bad choice of words, but for @ 30 the Aldi one has a lot going for it, it even spent a good few hours underneath the med taking movies and stills of the aquatic life there.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcs View Post
    Yeah probably a bad choice of words...
    No. It's definitely narcissism in my case....'cause I'm gorgeous!

It's going out to Greece on holiday with me in a week's time so is going underwater for a proper "dip". Will let you know if it survives!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    great, let me know! i'm in greece right now and the panasonic is still dead.
    the seal of the door has a very fine lip which i think is the weak point. especually with salt water and pressure when snorkelling/diving.

I have noticed that Olympus recommend changing the two seals annually. Anyone had this done and/or know the cost?

It's going out to Greece on holiday with me in a week's time so is going underwater for a proper "dip". Will let you know if it survives!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    it's been a while and it's been quiet here... does that mean your still in greece, or does it mean the camera died

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

No he's at Screwfix!

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...903#post642903

Possibly the Athens branch though.

Now I wish to God I'd joined those men when they were set ashore, but I chose a wild and a reckless life serving under Captain Moore.

Crow Trip Log

ha, you're onto something: just wrap any old camera in enough duct tape and happily dunk it in the drink

it's been a while and it's been quiet here... does that mean your still in greece, or does it mean the camera died
    All home in the UK safe and sound and still waterproof with no duct tape required....

This blog done since Greece....... http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...a-Long-Weekend ....and the Olympus still works even though it had to endure quite a bit of rainy stuff!

PS - I have to complain that there isn't a "blowing a raspberry" emoticon to use here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by meirion; 31st-July-2017 at 09:39 PM.

good to hear that there were no casualties.
    did you use it a lot underwater, while in greece?

And then some of us are stupid enough to take our high end cameras out on the water with us... but it helps get the shot! I have an exhibition of waterscapes mostly made from the canoe coming up in February.
    My 1ds3 goes most places I go - on the water, in the snow, up climbs and scrambles, rain, mud, wading in rivers and the sea. I can keep it reasonably safe around water - windblown sand is my bugbear. I've written off 2 lenses due to that (sand ingress destroying the internal gears)

good to hear that there were no casualties.
    did you use it a lot underwater, while in greece?
    Was just too chilled out in Greece to be bothered taking any pics or going snorkelling. Lazy I know but a damned good chill is soooooooo good for the soul Well that and a shedload of Greek lager, Mythos

Gordon, I feel for you mate. Two lenses destroyed by sand is not going to be a small financial loss
    PS - still waiting to see a bit of a blog from the new boat!
    Last edited by meirion; 1st-August-2017 at 08:08 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12