Thread: Friends of the River Nene BBQ - with paddling & hammocks

Default Friends of the River Nene BBQ - with paddling & hammocks

Some of you may recall, indeed, may still be trying to recover from, the disturbing images unleashed upon an unsuspecting public in http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...5-degree-Burns the account of a Burns Night gathering at Peartree Island on the Nene.

It only costs a tenner a year to belong and although primarily set up for narrowboats & cruisers they have been incredibly welcoming to Bisbrooke Hippo (Ian) & I and encourage membership by all with a love of the river. When the invite to their BBQ arrived we took the opportunity to devise a two night, three day hammocking trip........so here we go

Launched at the old A6 bridge in Irthlingborough

Dived down the nearest backwater which takes you through the Stanwick lakes nature reserve

The thing that amazes me most is that we are the only people on the river - so beautiful but not a soul seen all day

Time to drop into the Addington backwater - we are not 9-stone weaklings but we had trouble hauling the boats about given the sheer weight of gear, food and liquid refreshment

Nene backwaters never disappoint

Back on the navigation approaching Willy Watt's marine at Lower Ringstead lock

For some reason Hippo has made it his business to devise alternative ways to deal with locks

Shooting lock gates is something I did when I was a kid in a kayak and I expressed my doubts as to the wisdom of this experimental procedure - it made no difference - he was in that sort of frame of mind

There are no further photographs due to laughter, concern over the fate of the alcohol (saved, phew!) and running around sorting out the situation - safe to say it has been removed from my playbook but Hippo is still wittering on about angles, trajectory, momentum etc

Baled out and back on course

It seemed as though everywhere you looked there was a heron

The Friends of the River Nene mooring at Woodford - as with all their moorings there are no facilities but it's a 20 minutes walk to a pub and chippy if you aren't as able to withstand such temptations as we are

Made for hammocking - maybe not the number we had in January but a lovely setting

Cantonese brisket of beef with stir fry vegetables - don't mind if I do

Washed down with a not inconsiderable amount of the ballast - we had to do something to reduce the weight of the boats

Dawn dawned

I'd say that was a pretty idyllic spot to hammock

Whilst breakfasting we were joined by Friends of the River Nene members coming down to dredge out rocks from the side of the mooring

The floating JCB is a cracking bit of kit that I'd not seem in action before - two hydraulic arms at the front and one at the back with huge round tanks to stop it toppling over

Probably the same one following us about

A white egret was spotted just downstream from the hammocks too

Continued...........
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

So by the crack of mid morning we're hangover free and on our way - Woodford church

Still Woodford church but with Hippo braving the mighty Grade 0.25 rapids in the backwater

Next backwater down is at Denford - this sign always amuses me

Quite a long backwater with plenty of interest

Back on the main river and the iconic Nine Arches Bridge at Thrapston

View from the Friends of the River Nene mooring at Islip - we'll be returning to try out some of Hippo's experimental hammock hanging ideas

Islip Mill with lock on the right

Betwixt Islip & Titchmarsh

Still being followed.....storked!

We drop into one of our favourites - Brancey Brook which bypasses the horrible portage at Titchmarsh lock

It all gets a bit blurry after that as we believe we were kidnapped by narrowboaters and held captive at their prison camp

Forced to build our own accommodation

Supervised by cruel Prosecco-fueled female guards who insisted on finding out if they could get in a hammock whilst completely r*ta*sed

So we decided that our best chance of escape was to join them in their boatie bacchanalia and once again on Peartree Island many synapses were destroyed - no photos as I'm not sure we were in a fit state to operate anything more complicated than a ring-pull.

So fast forward to the morning - we managed to slip out before any of the Friends woke - in fact, we got up, lit a fire box, cooked breakfast and struck camp before any Friends even looked like emerging

Finally slipping past Snake Island en-route to freedom and a waiting get-away vehicle at Wadenoe

Well that's all folks, thanks for staying the course in a rather long blogg.

Regards to you all, Dick
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

very nice - can't see the first two photos in your first post though

I'm not sure I'd like an antipodean in my boat - he'd keep wanting to be upside down

Thoroughly enjoyed that as a BH Monday read when I should really be out paddling.
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Canoe outfitting packages in the Massif Central

Nice gents - liking the dawn pics in particular
    Up a lazy river by the old mill run..the lazy, lazy river in the noon day sun

Looked great Craic................the Friends have some nice moorings
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Great stuff, as always. That first camp looked idyllic, the encampment of tired and emotional narrowboaters looked dangerous. You must both be good actors to manage to fit in with such raucous types, its almost like you've done it before!
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

That looked lovely and your telling of it was hilarious! Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    When I read about the evils of drinking I gave up reading.

Looks like an excellent trip. Love a bit of hammocking.

(Autocorrect just tried to change that to "ham mocking" though why Apple thinks anyone would want to satirise pork products is beyond me)
    There are three types of people in the world:
    Those who can count and those who can't.

Kenny Lives!

Very enjoyable blogg.
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Cracking blog. You can't beat a bit of paddling and hammocking.

Loved the sunrise pics too.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Excellent. A great read as always
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Looks great, I must get to exploring some of these backwaters. I've done Northampton through to Thrapston (not in one go) to break in my SOT, but stuck to the beaten path for fear of irate fisherfolk, riparians or farmers. The dawn photos are cracking!

I saw an albino Heron on the Welland t'other day too. Thanks for informing me it is in fact an Egret. Not to be confused with the Ejeet wot fort it wuz a heron.
    I refuse to let the fact that I haven't got a clue what I'm doing hold me back in any aspect of my life.

Hoping to do this next year...can't wait :-)

Been awhile since I've been down that part of the Nene, so hopefully I'll get to pay it another visit.
    Nice blog and pics, that pliable plastic heron you cart about, really does look realistic.

Heron today and gone tomorrow Terry!

Robin, you're being subliminally lead into the next trip fella, which ain't a bad thing! (With your post now affirming your safe return from your latest sub-continental trip )

What with a chance now of a Cantonese brisket of beef with stir fry vegetables - and thereafter, a chance of a mad women occupying yer hammock, when you need it the most, just after the fire goes out!

I'm signing up 'reet the noo' for the next River Nene Trip! - Hell Yeah!

Can I send the £10 now,, whilst I've got it?
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 11th-November-2017 at 02:44 AM.
    Keep yer paddles wet, and powder dry....

MB

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((( ((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Bonarmbj View Post
    Robin, you're being subliminally lead into the next trip fella, which ain't a bad thing!

I'm signing up 'reet the noo' for the next River Nene Trip! - Hell Yeah!

Can I send the £10 now,, whilst I've got it?
    Mark - let me know the dates you're thinking of for the return of Kenny the Kangaroo to the Nene and I'll sort it out with the Friends of the River Nene - can't guarantee women climbing into hammocks though - Dick

The return of Kenny the Kangaroo (garoo-garoo) on the Nene for the week-end 26th-28th January 2018 would tie-in quite nicely with a Burns' Night Supper!

With a suitable donation from each of those attending,heading in the direction of The Friends of the River Nene if we're once again allowed to overnight on that island with it's super winter sunrise!

The best that I can do now, is rally some troops with the promise of another Haggis-Stuffed Tandoori Chicken and this year, a decent fillet of Poached Salmon!

I'll leave the paddling details, and recce for expected no's overnighting on the island to you! (Which I know, is well within your remit! )...and you'll get bonus points if you can get Terry Young to turn up for this one!
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 12th-November-2017 at 10:01 PM.

MB

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

The return of Kenny the Kangaroo (garoo-garoo) on the Nene for the week-end 26th-28th January 2018 would tie-in quite nicely with a Burns' Night Supper!

With a suitable donation from each of those attending,heading in the direction of The Friends of the River Nene if we're once again allowed to overnight on that island with it's super winter sunrise!

The best that I can do now, is rally some troops with the promise of another Haggis-Stuffed Tandoori Chicken and this year, a decent fillet of Poached Salmon!

I'll leave the paddling details, and recce for expected no's overnighting on the island to you! (Which I know, is well within your remit! )...and you'll get bonus points if you can get Terry Young to turn up for this one!
    I think you should have Tandoori Chicken Stuffed Haggis. And when you say poached salmon do you mean the style of cooking or the style of acquisition?

And don't forget the Cullen Skink and Cranachan.

"I stepped up on the platform. The man gave me the news. He said - you must be joking, son, where did you get those shoes?"

Crow Trip Log

That weekend is good for me.
    I couldn't make it last year due to work and it looked like a terrific weekend.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Just a fabulous record and the photos were utterly wonderful, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by laurence milton View Post
    Just a fabulous record and the photos were utterly wonderful, thank you!
    I'll second that!

MB

I'm very much in for this one!
    Great report on the hammocking barbeque. It's a beautiful river!
    Ian

Might need to get the thermals out again

I have just had confirmation from the Chair of FOTRN that we can hold our Burns Night Supper on Peartree Island.

The only proviso is that all attendees are members of FOTRN - this is to comply with the terms of their agreements with the landowners of their various moorings and the FOTRN insurance.

I appreciate this is a tenner you'd rather spend on beer but I don't think you'll find a better mass hammock venue anywhere and it gives you access to 6 moorings for camping on the Nene for a year, newsletters etc

Membership form here http://friendsoftherivernene.co.uk/F...hIp%20form.pdf

Cheers, Dick

Well done Dick, on the form it asks for the boat name?

Quote Originally Posted by Sirus View Post
    Well done Dick, on the form it asks for the boat name?
    Just put ‘canoe’ ..... I know they are happy with that.

£10 seems very good value to me. An encouragement to get over to the Nene more often ...

I’m happy with that. Leaves the possibility for a Hallownene

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll see if I can coax Kenny back to the fire-side. I think he may require audience participation.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Quote Originally Posted by broadsman View Post
    I'll see if I can coax Kenny back to the fire-side. I think he may require audience participation.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    That should keep the numbers down

Are conventional tents acceptable or must one be suspended 'twixt heaven and earth?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesRden View Post
    Are conventional tents acceptable or must one be suspended 'twixt heaven and earth?
    Most of us use tents here, so no problem. Just a few weird tree hanger types...

Great blog, great place!!

Quote Originally Posted by kmac View Post
    Great blog, great place!!
    ...and a great place to experience a Super Sunrise!

If you're up on time...

If not, then stay wrapped up tight and toasty..as it'll be while now before we manage to defrost breakfast!

There were a few 'Kippers' on that island that week-end! (and not all frozen by dawn!)

Looking forward very much now to the 2018 experience!
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 18th-November-2017 at 01:06 AM.

MB