Thread: Hi Everyone newbie would appreciate advise on large canoe

1. Default Hi Everyone newbie would appreciate advise on large canoe

Hi looking at getting a venture hunter cut with deeper freeboard but not owned a canoe before, recently done my 1 and 2 star plus rescue foundation course and have always been around water scuba diving, speedboats, sailing boats and kayaks mainly back in BC (before children).Curently have several kayaks the largest being a ocean kayak malibu XL 3 seater sit on, so looking for a load carry list of critrea problems...
    - I'm 6ft 115kgs
    - 3 kids and 2 dogs
    - The boss (girlfriend) not interested in canoeing
    -Member of Amature yatch reseach socitey (google cordless canoe challenge the sort of thing we like doing) so will probably be adapted to sailing, powered and a few other things
    - Areas of use; river/costal trips, camping, plus hayling island and the solent
    - I'm in the building trade so not bothered about weight of boat or modifying
    - Buget 1000 (approximately)
    - Is it worth paying for corelite X ?

All help and advice would be much appreciated I've been looking at this site for years, always found it interesting so now is the time to get involved as I'm getting into canoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hampshire viking View Post
    -Member of Amature yatch reseach socitey
    Welcome to the forum. You'll get plenty of advice regarding the canoe.

Have you ever thought of joining the Amateur Yacht Research Society?
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

Hi and welcome Viking.
    An interesting choice of boat and one which I have no experience of. I have owned a Venture Prospector 16 which I loved and also regularly paddled an old club V Ranger another great boat, which I thought was really suited to family paddling - we had 5 in it once - no bother! The Hunter write up suggests the boat has a low profile to reduce the impact of wind, however​you're planning to have it higher cut which could make it a bit of a beast! Venture boats - I've been happy with mine. Good luck with the search!
    Andy,
    (Cumbria)

Hello and Welcome!

I don't know the Hunter, but think its not dissimilar to the previous Peace River Cruiser hull (when the company was Mobile Venture). This is a good flat water straight line canoe, but has relatively low free board so you'd be right to consider a higher cut. It will be a bit of a beast though, so it might be worth saving a little weight with the Corelite X.

There aren't many other 17 boats at that price, but you might get lucky and find an Old Town Penobscot in Royalex second hand.

If the kids are anything older than about 7 or 8, you're going to quickly need two canoes, or just use the sit on top Malibu alongside the canoe.

Chichester Harbour has some nice spots, and the eastern arm up towards Fishbourne is lovely and slightly more sheltered.

Sounds like you'll already know all about water conditions, but remember that open canoes and waves don't sit brilliantly together. If there are whitecaps to the waves, swamping is likely. In these conditions, I find Prospector shapes are more seaworthy.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

You ask about Corelite X. I have a Venture Prospector in Corelite X. It feels lighter than the Hou 14 I used to hire, I move it around myself ok. It's also taken a fair bit of bashing, dragging and scrapping without suffering more than superficial scratches.

Mike

6. Default

Hi all and thanks for advice.

David thanks for welcome and you right getting I'm getting plenty of advice.
    As for my spelling I do apologize for my dyslexia affliction please bear with me, despite being timed out while posting still managed to get it wrong I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Andy thanks for wecome have thought a lot about prospector, the hunter having a half ton capacity and me being in the over a 1/10 ton club was one factor and the finer bow for hopefully less slamming but a lower bow than prospector , I had dismissed the hunter initially because of low freeboard but after going to whitewater centre shepperton was told about order with a deeper cut,was thinking of nova craft prospector 17 sp3 but hopefully buying british could order a few other mods rear seat mine moved forward slightly for better trim and seats lowed to lower C of G.

Hi Mal and thanks for welcome I'm not too bothered about a beast of a boat as on venture web site says saves approximately 5 kgs but in specs 3 kgs different , I'd be more interested in thicker more buoyant and tougher even if weighed more not less. Did look at Penobscot but would like to buy british even though I'm half danish also ordering with seats moved slightly would hopefully be easer. the kids ranged from 9 to 17 but looking at a sociable boat for friends and carrying outboard and sailing rig, as for whitecaps thinking off bow and stern floats closed cell foam floor matts up to gunnalls buoyancy bags inside to sides and ethafoam sponsons to outsides saves little fingers as well when coming along side . do you find prospector shapes more seaworthy because of freeboard or other reasons ive read prospectors can slam more than a finer entry hull one write up that springs to mind Selway Fisher Ralph canoe

Hi Mike do you notice if corelite X is a thicker or more ridged hull ive been in a venture something beginning with O but theres 2 models and i noticed flat bottom was slightly bellying up in hull centre

cheers everyone for your time and thoughts and experience if only we had all listened when we was young and knew it all ;-))
    PS got my 9 year old to correct some of my spelling spo hopefully have not made to much of a dislecksit twat of my self

Hello and welcome to the forum. There are quite a few versions of prospectors out there but their general reason for being is their ability to carry large loads in lumpy water. Within reason, of course, as Mal says, rolling waves on the sea would be hairy in any open boat. Many on here love their prospectors for all their paddling needs.

If British boats are high on your list and they don't have to be called "prospector" then there are models from Silverbirch (Broadland 16) and Hou (17) to add to your research list.
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

Quote Originally Posted by MultiMark View Post

If British boats are high on your list and they don't have to be called "prospector" then there are models from Silverbirch (Broadland 16) and Hou (17) to add to your research list.
    The Broadland 16 is a really nice paddle, and can come as a high sided version I believe.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    The Broadland 16 is a really nice paddle, and can come as a high sided version I believe.

I`m really pleased with my Silverbirch Broadland 16 so far, and we have had 4 of us in it, 2 adults and 2 kids on the floor.
    They do a version cut for whitewater with a higher freeboard too if needed.

Ive put up a blogg on here too "Local boats for local people"

Cheers
    Dom

Is the freeboard on the Hunter so very low?

Silverbirch seem to be more flexible with custom manufacturing if you need a little more freeboard, to the limits of the mould of course.

There's one (Venture Hunter) for sale on the net as we speak I believe?

12. Default

Hi MultiMark and thanks for the welcome, as for rolling waves apart from the safety mods already posted plus i forgot to post I have a spare rule bilge pump plus loads of 12 volt batteries bike and old power tool ones, I have a few other ideas but decks arguable being one of the most important safety features, have seen some canoe spray decks but also forward planning helps I've gone out in south westerly 10 wind speed all day predication only to return from the east into a westerly 18 to 22 not only a slog but salt spray and eyes don't go well together after a few hours despite hat and glasses. I like to buy locally if i can but also want the seats moved which would make the rear seat redundant as it would be to short once moved forward i see seats going for 50 to 100 pounds so hopefully can save a bit. Don't know much about or anyone who has a Hou or Silverbirch, checking online one of them did not state capacity, I have a venture Flex 11 kayak which i keep in the van all the time as a spare/lone boat good little kayak

Mal I will keep an open mind hence posting on here nothing like picking the brains of people who have been there and got the T shirt

Hi Dom I've got to ask is the cr500dom a Honda cr500. I've got a Honda XR650L American import electric start and one the Kids bikes is XR70 Honda's in the blood ever since I discovered a c90 and my local woods when I was a kid, back on tangent how old are the kids will look for blog later thanks

Hi Adrian the Hunter 17 is actually 17 and half foot which all helps and hull depth 13.75 or 35 cm

Hi Laurence if a boat comes up second hand then i could afford to buy a replacement seat and other bits also more money for other toys most my kayaks i brought second hand so any links to a boat or info I'm in Hampshire close to Surrey and Berkshire

Thanks again everyone for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Hampshire viking View Post

Hi Mike do you notice if corelite X is a thicker or more ridged hull ive been in a venture something beginning with O but theres 2 models and i noticed flat bottom was slightly bellying up in hull centre
    I don't really have any thing to compare it with as I've not been in a different boat since I got this one. It's got a few less than perfect areas on the hull. It flexes when I run onto rocks but that seems normal to me; if it didn't I would think the plastic was too brittle. I'm also over 100 kg and don't treat my boat with kid gloves (see recent bloggs!) It's survived so far!

Mike