Thread: collect for the first time

Default collect for the first time

I am meeting up with the suppliers of my new canoe in some services whilst they are on the way to another delivery (they don't often come this far north). I am happy with the principal of attaching it to the car but my only concern is the front and rear tie lines.

It will not be fitted out at all and I don't fancy drilling it in a services car park to fit front and end loops, so do people think it will be OK to attach to the wooden grab handles (on a royalex Pal) if I am cautious on my speed and take the non-motorway 140 mile route home?

Handles will be fine
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

I always use the handles

My plywood Orca Mayfly survived the journey from the Lake District to the Peak District down the M6 with just cam straps attaching it to the roof bars, no bow or stern ties

Absolutely fine, the front lines on mine just go to the grab handles, and have done thousands of miles like that.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

My Pal is the most secure of all my boats on the roof of my car. If you stick to the limits you will be fine. I've cut. A 26" inner tube in half and stick a section on each cam strap and it grips the boat like you know what to a blanket wet or dry.

I've driven a car topped 16 ft Mad River Explorer without any fore or aft ties at all without any problems although couldn't recommend it and I've now become more cautious now and do use the grab handles to tie front and back

I find the biggest problem is with modern cars that they don't seem to have any convenient tie points centrally to the front or back of the car

Quote Originally Posted by Stewby View Post
    I've driven a car topped 16 ft Mad River Explorer without any fore or aft ties at all without any problems although couldn't recommend it and I've now become more cautious now and do use the grab handles to tie front and back

I find the biggest problem is with modern cars that they don't seem to have any convenient tie points centrally to the front or back of the car
    I found some straps that fasten to bolts under the sides of the bonnet. Just need to be flipped out so the ropes can be tied on. Being a bit of a fanatic I put clear film on the edge of the bonnet to protect the paint at the point where straps rub the the edge.
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

Quote Originally Posted by MultiMark View Post
    I found some straps that fasten to bolts under the sides of the bonnet. Just need to be flipped out so the ropes can be tied on. Being a bit of a fanatic I put clear film on the edge of the bonnet to protect the paint at the point where straps rub the the edge.
    I bought a second screw in tow point for 6 off ebay (unbelievable considering it came from Estonia) as my Grand C4 Picasso has no substantial metalwork under the bonnet that I would trust a tie down to.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiMark View Post
    that sounds pretty good solution if it doesn't lift the bonnet

last time, i think i put a long tie all the way from the front handle of the canoe all the way under the car and back up to the rear handle - wasn't ideal i suppose as the tie might have been near part of the exhaust but it worked. To get it under I just drove forward by a length

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger0110 View Post
    I bought a second screw in tow point for 6 off ebay (unbelievable considering it came from Estonia) as my Grand C4 Picasso has no substantial metalwork under the bonnet that I would trust a tie down to.
    The only problem with that on mine is that the tow loop point is off-centre - does that matter do you think?

that sounds pretty good solution if it doesn't lift the bonnet

last time, i think i put a long tie all the way from the front handle of the canoe all the way under the car and back up to the rear handle - wasn't ideal i suppose as the tie might have been near part of the exhaust but it worked. To get it under I just drove forward by a length
    It's a very strong bonnet and if it wasn't shut tight the electronic gubbins would light up the dashboard warning lights
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

The only problem with that on mine is that the tow loop point is off-centre - does that matter do you think?
    Not sure, but as front and back are in line I will probably have the canoe off centre

Out of curiosity, Who are you buying from and when are they coming up?

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Out of curiosity, Who are you buying from and when are they coming up?
    Norfolk Marine, they are hopefully coming up in the next couple of weeks. I am pretty flexible otherwise delivery costs are prohibitive, if you were looking for a boat as well it would hopefully mean a reduction of delivery for all involved!

Alright,thanks.

I was looking at buying a canoe, but put off due to delivery problems. Was hoping to get one second hand in scotland at some point, but i may need to email them and see if they have space available for one more.

Trig

I spent months trying to get a second hand one but refused to pay the stupid prices on ebay. With Norfolk Marine you might be better off ringing them to see exactly what they have in stock

I also have a Pal on order from NM… Not sure I'd fancy being the delivery driver for that round from Norfolk to Devon (first ) then to Scotland before the return leg.

Quote Originally Posted by mw-fox View Post
    I also have a Pal on order from NM… Not sure I'd fancy being the delivery driver for that round from Norfolk to Devon (first ) then to Scotland before the return leg.
    Still gutted that the timing didnt workout, I'd have happily brought that down to Devon for you last friday

Journal Entries

Handles will be fine as people have said. I did exactly that with my bob special;

Brought back from Solihull to home ~320 miles all motorway. Secure the front too, grab handle to hood loops and/or front roofbar and you should be sorted.
    Cheers,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by cr500dom View Post
    Still gutted that the timing didnt workout, I'd have happily brought that down to Devon for you last friday
    It's probably a good thing you didn't bring my pal with you from Norfolk... i'd have done zero work last week if you did!

Quote Originally Posted by mw-fox View Post
    Mine's arriving Tuesday, just in time for the first club night of the summer!