Thread: Moccasins?

Default Moccasins?

After reading a story about a native American woman spending weeks making a set of moccasins for her husband to wear in his canoe in the winter, Mrs stinkwheel suggested we should make each other a set of moccasins to wear in the canoe.

As much for comfort as anything, we both like to kneel so a lot of the usual footwear (tevas etc) can be uncomfortable on the tops of your feet and I find trainers tend to rub on my achilles if I put my feet out behind me. I've taken to just removing my footwear and paddling in socks in conditions where I expect to be staying in the boat but I suspect moccasins would be a lot more comfortable.

There is a bewildering array of designs and types. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions or experience of types that would be good for canoeing? Any experience of making their own, materials etc?

Might make me less prone to foot cramp when poling too?
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

Yes - Muckboots!!!

I'd have thought wet leather boots with no tread would be a bit slippery - But I'm sure you've thought of that.
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

I wear boots which have a bit of stiffness in the sole to avoid all the problems you describe. I used to wear neoprene boots which whilst being comfortable on my old windsurfer were useless in the canoe. No idea how moccassins will work out but they would look brilliant. Could just be my taste though
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com

The likes of these would be comfy and cosy once in the boat, but I wouldn't want to launch in them unless you had a handy jetty.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkwheel View Post
    After reading a story about a native American woman spending weeks making a set of moccasins for her husband to wear in his canoe in the winter, Mrs stinkwheel suggested we should make each other a set of moccasins to wear in the canoe.

There is a bewildering array of designs and types. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions or experience of types that would be good for canoeing? Any experience of making their own, materials etc?

Might make me less prone to foot cramp when poling too?
    Plenty of YouTube stuff on making mocs.

I bought canoe mocs when I was in Temagami last autumn, not really used in the canoe - but I do wear them pretty much all the time outside. No socks in the warmer weather. You'll need to get them small as they will stretch pretty quickly.

Seems that mocs were pretty useful for a few centuries as footwear, so I'm sure they will continue to be so...

Ugh Boots?

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I'd want a pair of water moccasins in the boat with me!

Lol! (couldn't find an emoji of a snake!)

I am pretty sure that Bill Mason discusses them in some detail in Song of the Paddle and also talks about a rubber overboot for launching etc.

Contact Dave and Kielyn at Lure of the North

They sell kits for summer and winter mocs and have comprehensive instructions on their website.

https://lureofthenorth.com/product/c...-moccasin-kit/

They have been adding a sole to their mocs by coating the sole with contact adhesive then sprinkling with ground rubber to give a more grippy, wear resistant surface.
    "All right" said Eeyore "We're going. Only don't blame me"

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Since this came back up again, I have done a reasonable amount of research and bought some patterns from a first nation ebay shop. I've actually cut out the patterns too so they really just need stitching up.

I landed up using leather welding aprons for the material which is chromic leather. Very similar in apperarance to "brain tanned", has suede on both sides and is pretty cheap. Should also have good breathability when worn.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."