I've been asked to pass the following message on:

"Just to warn people who haven't seen elsewhere there's a slalom competition at the Yat Rapids on 1st and 2nd April. It's going to be a busy weekend of racing with 150 expected each day. If you are paddling the river on these dates please stop and speak to pre-start on the hotel steps above the rapids. They'll pause the event so you can continue your journey to Monmouth.

For those who really plan ahead the only other slalom weekend there is October 14th and 15th."
I won't be racing at Symonds Yat myself this time, I will be at the Premier division slalom competition at Grandtully on the Tay that weekend - same thing applies, the organisers will be most grateful if you would find the starter on your approach (or the control hut) and wait a couple of minutes for them to arrange a short break in the programme for you to run the rapid. There is also a division 1 race at Grandtully the following weekend 7th and 8th April, same situation.

Apart from the artificial courses which get booked up exclusively for slaloms, slalom organisers understand that touring paddlers need to be able to pass through race sections and simply ask that you work with them so they can temporarily clear the course of racers for your safety.