Thread: Canada on the cheap.

Default Canada on the cheap.

As I approach my mid fifties, I find myself with fewer and fewer canoe tripping partners. The Scout group I was involved in has folded, my children now spend their summers doing foolish stuff like working or studying and few of my friends have as many vacation days as myself.
    So this summer I am (rather belatedly) inviting anyone who is interested to join me for a week in Algonquin , French River ,Temagami or wherever you wish.
    Here's the deal, You get yourself (1 to 5 persons) to Toronto Airport with basic personal camping gear, I will drive into town and pick you up. We will return to my house and spend the night. Then the next morning we depart for the north country.
    I pride myself on how cheaply I can go canoeing for a week, so expenses are at a minimum. You would be on the hook for equal share of food,petrol.permits and any other collective costs. Also I have one canoe so any more than one person would require renting a canoe(s).
    My wife is interested in going for a week with me ,so if you are a couple that could work out.
    I provide all the collective camp gear, transport and local knowledge,I have been doing this for years and would love to share my country with anyone who is interested. The weeks I am available are Jul 15-23. Aug 12-20 and Sep 2-10. This is purely a non commercial invitation.

Wow if I could only send the dogs and cats to he rescue centre.....

Hi. Sounds really interesting. I probably cant do this year, but definitely interested next year assuming the offer is there. Cheers Mark

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Im with Mark, next year would be great. What a lovely offer!
    If in doubt, hit it with a hammer!!

This sounds awesome. Will check with the boss if I can do the Sep dates
    Was up at Algonquin last year in Aug. Had an awesome holiday but only short canoe stints as was with the family who are not overly keen on canoeing or camping.

That's an awesome invite - good work!
    ...Sometimes it's good to put the paddle down and just let the canoe glide...

I've been watching this thread with interest as, like others have said, its a very generous offer.
    Could you clarify for me, about the dates you posted. Can you just do one of those weeks, or are you available for all of them?
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Your a brave man to make such a generous offer. A week with an annoying, snoring, and boring stranger could be hell on the water. Then again it could be the start of a beautiful friendship.
    Dr. Joe
    Electric Hospital
    Coos Bay Or
    http://electrichospital.com

A fab offer......good luck with your endeavours!
    To Canoe is to be moved!!!

Hello Ron

I've been thinking of seeing friends in Connecticut and then visiting Algonquin on my own - so would love to take you up on your offer. Any week suits me.

Ian

I also meant to say that either of your three options would be great.

I would be able to do one of those weeks. Whichever was most popular.

Hi, this sounds a lovely offer and would be very interested for me and my partner in September.
    Cheers,

Ceibach

Cruising n' bruising!

Hi Ron (hope I've guessed correctly), I'm currently trying to find /organise a trip / paddle in Canada (probably 2018 due to family issues, but possibly later this year). However having never been to Canada, I'm finding it difficult to narrow things down. Just read your post & the more I think about it, the better it sounds !

My perfect idea of a trip is fly in & paddle out (OK bit of a romantic cliche perhaps but sound like a great start to an adventure !). Then a trip of about 2 weeks (+?) ideally covering lakes & gentleish white water rivers. Lining / portaging anything we don't fancy, but in a perfect world without long portages.

My dream ticket would be to see wolves in the wild & also bears, so I guess somewhere fairly remote. I'm 60, reasonably fit & have paddled one type of boat or another for the last 55 years. Current plan is to paddle with my son (mid 20s uber fit, strong, in the navy), but I'm open to other ideas. I think we are both good humoured, easy to get on with and have done communal camping before with success.

We'd love to paddle with someone like yourself who knows the country.

I'd love to have a chat with you & explore ideas to see if anything makes sense to us both ?

Kind regards & many thanks for a fantastic offer.

Chas