Thread: Brexit and how it may help access

Default Brexit and how it may help access

Listening to some of the debates about life post Brexit the subject of the farming subsidies keeps popping up, the general feeling is that a new way of applying the subsidies will emerge. The current system is based on the amount of land owned which is not very efficient, one of the suggestions is that payments should be based on conservation work and giving more access to the public. My discussions with my neighbours in the farming community indicate that they think this is the most likely format, if that is so this could be a golden opportunity for us to put our case for better river access. The Riparian rights belong to the landowners, most of these are farmers, if they want taxpayers cash that money should also benefit the taxpayers including walkers, paddlers & swimmers.

Interesting times ahead.
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.

I believe you are mistaken - the influence of the fishing lobby will simply translate into pressure to protect their interests then, as now. There is also the possibility that in the farming world outside the EU environmental standards will have to be lowered to compete.

Interesting times though.

Quote Originally Posted by lavrentyuk View Post
    I believe you are mistaken - the influence of the fishing lobby will simply translate into pressure to protect their interests then, as now. There is also the possibility that in the farming world outside the EU environmental standards will have to be lowered to compete.

Interesting times though.
    You may be right but they didn't stop the Grouse Moors being included in the Open Access and I suspect lots of MP's and Lord's shoot those moors. Time will tell.

I think the main effect Brexit will have on any access debate in parliament (which I think was unlikely to happen) will be to delay it until at least after Brexit is complete.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_t View Post
    I think the main effect Brexit will have on any access debate in parliament (which I think was unlikely to happen) will be to delay it until at least after Brexit is complete.
    Ken
    I was thinking of better access to the rivers rather than navigation, both are equally important. I don't think we stand a chance of a debate in parliament regarding navigation for at least 10 years, it will take that long to sort out the Brexit problems. The farm subsidies will need to be sorted ASAP to stop many of them going bankrupt so they will be in no position to reject a reasonable package that included more public access to the countryside.

Hi Cloudman,
    Apologies, I misunderstood, I hope your optimism is well founded even though I am not so optimistic.
    Ken

This is wandering dangerously close to politics. Let's try and keep it on the fun side of the line.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matto View Post
    This is wandering dangerously close to politics. Let's try and keep it on the fun side of the line.
    Think we wandered over a wee bit.... Did some deleting, I'm afraid you don't get to share your political opinions on here.
    Cheers,

Alan

I'm happy with the benign dictatorship but mine was supposed to be a joke, however unfunny. :-)

Journal Entries

Wasn't particularly aimed at you Adrian, but as you know some people can take offence at the smallest perceived slight. I prefer my junior, acting, temporary, sub-assistant dictatorship style to be grumpy rather than benign.
    Cheers,

Alan

Brexit is of course a deeply political subject, so I had best bow out before I say something that may be frowned upon.

Sorry if this is becoming political, that was not my intention, I am neutral on Brexit. I just think we should be prepared to make the best of any opportunity that arises from it..