Thread: River Avon nr Bath advice please

Default River Avon nr Bath advice please

Hi Folks, towards the end of March I'm staying for a few days at the Bath Marina caravan site (Nr Bath) It's right on the Avon and I'm trying to decide if it's worth taking the canoe, as I may be able to grab a couple of hours or so pootle, though it would be nothing more than that. My question is ...Is it really 48.50 ??? this is the cost quoted for a non powered craft up to 15ft license. Can't see anything about day/week tickets. I'm not a BCU member. I'm not used to this paying to paddle malarkey. Any thoughts? or should I just leave the boat at home.
    Paul.
    Last edited by paulsmith; 13th-March-2017 at 05:48 PM.
    Just goin with the flow

West Country UK (and Quebec Province sometimes)

Launching is free and relatively easy at Saltford Shallows, a couple of miles downstream but on the other bank.
    G

'Adventure is relative. My adventure is another's commonplace.'

who wants to charge u 48.50? - I feel the need for bad language! - and what for, it not like anyone has ever spent a single penny providing any facilities for paddlers anywhere on the avon.....and the avon is arguable tidal (the highest springs top all the weir up to the one directly down the river from bath) and Saltford (just west of bath on the A4) as the name suggests regularly sees salt water (ive tasted it) - buy BCU membership (its cheaper 45) and wave that in the face of the grabbing harpies, Er yes there is some nice paddling (on the River) both to the west and east of bath, avoid the cannel busy and boring, if you eere to paddle as far as Bristol don't try to get out at the Nethan lock (the keeper is a notorious C~%t) and he will try to charge you the Bristol dock fee (I resent paying to paddle, happy to contribute to upkeep of facilities - but as there are all but none that should be the sum total of our contribution) - er sorry its been a long day

You won't be asked...

Thames has week licence options if you are asked, not sure about the Avon. The whole "BCU" licence thing is a bit weird as there seem to be few other ways to get licensed, and no short period options. Its almost as much to join for a year and if you don't need that I wouldn't bother, I'd just paddle and act innocent in the unlikely occurrence of being asked.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Paul, if perchance you think you'll need a BCU licence, PM me and I'll chuck mine in the post for you to use
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

The Canal and River Trust do Short Term Visitor Licences

A Rivers only licence includes the Avon (Covers from Hanham Lock to Bath) costs 2.90 for a day 8.71 for a week.

Hi folks, Thanks for all the usefull replies. I've just spent a pleasant half an hour filling in the relevent online forms, and as suggested, I can indeed obtain a day ticket for less that 3.00, (4.73 if I want to use the adjacent canal as well) so not too bad if I can grab at least couple of hours. I'll take the boat along and hope there's internet connection at the site so I can pre pay for my ticket. Or I might just plonk it on the water and act daft if anyone stops me
    Thanks again,
    Paul
    Just goin with the flow