Thread: Quetico

Default Quetico

Quetico
    We launched my new Quetico last week.
    It was an exciting day – I have spent all winter trying to find a boat which fulfilled my needs :
    ·A good solo boat
    ·A pocket tandem
    ·Light enough for me to car-top alone (or with the help of my granddaughters !)
    My Quetico has aluminium gunwales, a pop-out kneeling thwart, and a removeable bow seat. I fitted easily removeable buoyancy blocks and side bags.
    SO – all I have to lift is the hull…..and, for the first time for 10 years, I actually carried a tandem boaton my shoulders !!

I already knew that the boat paddles beautifully – I had had the chance to paddle the first Quetico which Solway Dory built – and my Quetico did not disappoint.
    Looking forward now to many adventures – solo, three up with the granddaughters, and possibly even on expedition with the girls, together with my Little Egret.
    Last edited by MagiKelly; 9th-March-2017 at 12:17 PM.

Nice new boat.

We'll be struggling to keep up with you.

Doug
    When there's trouble on shore, there's peace on the wave,
    Afloat in the White Canoe.
    Alan Sullivan

Sue's Quetico is built in Carbon/Kevlar with a foam reinforced floor and weighs 45lbs (20kg).
    It is 15ft 7inch long and 34inch wide.
    Last edited by DaveS; 9th-March-2017 at 08:37 AM.

Carbon/Kevlar,mute swan, aluminium gunnels, they're all in the photo - I'm admiring the vertical paddle!

Nice looking boat.

Thank you ..

Quote Originally Posted by BorderT View Post
    Carbon/Kevlar,mute swan, aluminium gunnels, they're all in the photo - I'm admiring the vertical paddle!
    And the really important thing, the smile.
    This post may vanish at any moment.

I was fortunate enough to be offered a paddle in the Solway Dory Quetico demonstrator on Coniston last weekend. As background my own boat is a Nova Craft Pal in RX Lite.
    First impressions were that the boat looks absolutely stunning. The carbon weave is fully visible on the inside of the boat and contrasts with the gleaming white exterior. The general construction and fitting out are immaculate (which was no surprise to me after seeing plenty of Solway Dory's handiwork). The gunwales are wood (rather than the aluminium on Isabella's boat) and beautifully slender and delicate looking compared to the chunky alu ones on my own boat (the Quetico hull is very stiff and needs very little extra bracing). The boat has front and rear paddler's seats for tandem use and a kneeling thwart for solo use along with various fitting points for side airbags and a mast thwart and foot to allow sailing with SD's excellent Expedition Rig. Obviously if you were lucky enough to be in a position to buy a Quetico you could request outfitting to suit your individual needs.
    Picking the boat up it is immediately noticeable how light it feels (and the demonstrator is a heavier specification than Isabella's version), it'd be easily manageable for an average person to carry and felt lighter than my Pal (which is around 27kg bare). On to the water and Solway Dory's claims that the boat was very stable were borne out by an initial blunder on my part attempting to negotiate the unfamiliar kneeling thwart on entry (I paddle using a Stingray saddle rather than a KT). Primary stability is good and the boat digs in as it heals over with good secondary stability (enough to save me from an embarrassing ducking in knee deep water while untangling myself from the KT!). To put stability into context the boat felt very similar in overall stability to my Pal with possibly a little more secondary stability meaning that whilst it's a high performance boat it can easily be paddled by a relative novice. The boat is noticeably less rockered than my Pal and this is apparent on the water where the Quetico requires a lot less steering input during a paddle stroke than my Pal to maintain a straight course. This translates into impressive forward progress and combined with the super stiff, slippery hull makes for a very quick canoe that accelerates like a rocket. The trade off is that it requires a little bit more effort to turn tightly. A competent paddler would be able to take advantage of the secondary stability and put the boat right on it's side to release the bow and stern and turn it like a freestyler. While paddling the canoe it was noticeable how quiet the hull was and how little wake and water disturbance it made compared to my Pal, again testament to the slippery hull.
    I'm not in the market for a new canoe at the moment but if I was one of these would be at the top of my list, I'd forego the KT and use the extra space to allow me to use my saddle and get further forward while paddling (the hull is asymmetrical so using the canoe backwards with the saddle between the front seat and centre yoke isn't possible). I can imagine that the Quetico would be a fantastic tripping boat for deep water use (don't even think about scratching that lovely hull on a river!). Thanks to Dave S for offering me the test paddle.

As the owner of a brace of Apache canoes I've pretty much settled on composite boats and for my next one I was looking for something in exotic materials for two up lake and canal trips. When funds allow that is.

So far I've been wowed by boats from Swift, however, their extravagant price and the fact that they come from across the pond has put me off somewhat. I do love to support homegrown talent and did consider asking Stu to make me a 16 in carbon.

However, I've been looking at these wonderful looking Queticos lately and know I will have to paddle one very soon! The characteristics of beautiful finish, brilliant hull design for easy tripping and local build ticks all the boxes. I even love the standard colour! Now if only SD did a configurator like the car makers do I could play options and dream whilst saving for one.
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

Quote Originally Posted by MultiMark View Post
    As the owner of a brace of Apache canoes I've pretty much settled on composite boats and for my next one I was looking for something in exotic materials for two up lake and canal trips. When funds allow that is.

So far I've been wowed by boats from Swift, however, their extravagant price and the fact that they come from across the pond has put me off somewhat. I do love to support homegrown talent and did consider asking Stu to make me a 16 in carbon.

However, I've been looking at these wonderful looking Queticos lately and know I will have to paddle one very soon! The characteristics of beautiful finish, brilliant hull design for easy tripping and local build ticks all the boxes. I even love the standard colour! Now if only SD did a configurator like the car makers do I could play options and dream whilst saving for one.
    You traitor, I'm telling Stu on you
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    You traitor, I'm telling Stu on you
    Haha! Busted!
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

"Surprise and Delight" best sums up my experience of the Quetico... I managed to bully Solway Dory into letting me have a paddle and I am glad I did (although my wife may be less so when I tell her I *need* a new boat).

I can echo all of Jurassic's comments above regarding the build quality and looks.

Off the water one is immediately struck by the weight - I could easily lift her using only arm strength but it is on the water that she really comes into her own...

Stability wise I felt at home immediately; she feels safe and secure but easily tilts over to dip the gunnels and when you do so she seems to push back; I tried a side slip pry (which can make you feel as if you are going to be thrown out of the boat if you don't catch it right) in the first five minutes of paddling her; the gunnel dipped to the water and pushed right back so I felt completely in control.

Kneeling I set off easily settling into an Indian stroke and, as Jurassic mentions, she is fast... but what I noticed was the noise - or rather lack thereof: she seems to slip noiselessly through the water - the loudest noise was when I occasionally dipped my paddle too deep and caught the throat of the paddle in the water. She doesn't need a great deal of correction to go forward. Fast.

I then had a bit of a play with turns, side slips, prys, draws etc. and she is slouch in this department either: I came off the water grinning like a child.

In summary this is a beautifully designed and beautifully executed thoroughbred paddlers canoe... which also has the great benefit (to my mind at least) that it can be built to your specifications right here in the UK.

I bought a Quetico back in December last year (as a result of a recommendation from here, and a subsequent test drive in Cumbria). Managed to get it out last Saturday on Llangorse Lake in the Brecon Beacons National Park for a first try with its Expedition sailing rig, with leeboard. I'm an experienced yachtsman but relative novice canoeist and I was pleased with its performance. Some motor boats with waterskiers were playing about on the lake too and the canoe bobbed about on their wake with scarcely a concern. Each time I use it it becomes more enjoyable and I become more confident.

Dropped the sail and drifted gently and quietly downwind while I lunched on my marmite sandwich and salad. Then sail up and off again.

In the lighter breezes going to windward I was able to motor-sail, i.e. paddle as well as sail, to increase the apparent wind over the sail and the consequent resulting speed.

I would love a go sailing her. Do you have the little lugsail or the Bermudan?

Quote Originally Posted by bearbait View Post
    I bought a Quetico back in December last year (as a result of a recommendation from here, and a subsequent test drive in Cumbria). Managed to get it out last Saturday on Llangorse Lake in the Brecon Beacons National Park for a first try with its Expedition sailing rig, with leeboard. I'm an experienced yachtsman but relative novice canoeist and I was pleased with its performance. Some motor boats with waterskiers were playing about on the lake too and the canoe bobbed about on their wake with scarcely a concern. Each time I use it it becomes more enjoyable and I become more confident.

Dropped the sail and drifted gently and quietly downwind while I lunched on my marmite sandwich and salad. Then sail up and off again.

In the lighter breezes going to windward I was able to motor-sail, i.e. paddle as well as sail, to increase the apparent wind over the sail and the consequent resulting speed.

It's the Solway Dory Expedition rig, a lugsail. I have the leeboard without the handle. It's easy enough to adjust without.

While sailing it I found the canoe came with a free cam cleat under the carrying yoke. I'm not used to cleating off the main sail on a small boat; never did while racing dinghies (obviously always on larger vessels). But useful so I can paddle-sail at quieter times. Easy enough to steer with just one hand on the paddle when just sailing.

Shall probably tweak the rig slightly with further experience: a small block on the halyard would be useful so less friction when raising the sail when already "at sea".

I'm not used to cleating off the main sail on a small boat; never did while racing dinghies
    All anyone needs in any sailing vessel is a way of depowering the rig... but if you get hit by a gust in a well set-up canoe at MOST points of sail you get rapidly overpowered and hey-presto, you're facing head-to-wind and the sail is depowered!

The exception is going directly downwind: takes a lot longer to slew around and that experience can be a little disconcerting... but going downwind it's easy enough to have the sheet in your grip hand and still "rudder" with the paddle.

It's the Solway Dory Expedition rig, a lugsail. I have the leeboard without the handle. It's easy enough to adjust without.

While sailing it I found the canoe came with a free cam cleat under the carrying yoke. I'm not used to cleating off the main sail on a small boat; never did while racing dinghies (obviously always on larger vessels). But useful so I can paddle-sail at quieter times. Easy enough to steer with just one hand on the paddle when just sailing.

Shall probably tweak the rig slightly with further experience: a small block on the halyard would be useful so less friction when raising the sail when already "at sea".
    Have a look at this thread bearbait (if you've not seen it already). http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...sailing-thread

Quote Originally Posted by GregandGinaS View Post
    All anyone needs in any sailing vessel is a way of depowering the rig... but if you get hit by a gust in a well set-up canoe at MOST points of sail you get rapidly overpowered and hey-presto, you're facing head-to-wind and the sail is depowered!

The exception is going directly downwind: takes a lot longer to slew around and that experience can be a little disconcerting... but going downwind it's easy enough to have the sheet in your grip hand and still "rudder" with the paddle.
    Ha ha. I discovered this 'MOST points of sail' exception on Tuesday going downwind with too much sail up and trying to change tack. :-) (Experience described in the paddle sailing thread Jurassic/Chris links to above.)

The Quetico looks very interesting. Will have to try and get a paddle sail in it to compare it with my Apache. It sounds a good bit lighter, which would be a nice advantage, along with being already set up for sail ...

All the best,
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Jurassic View Post
    Have a look at this thread bearbait (if you've not seen it already). http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...sailing-thread
    Many thanks. I have started to work my way slowly through it. Too many words there for "all at once"!