Thread: Marine Planning

Default Marine Planning

We are attending as many of the following workshops as we can, with W&E staff and volunteers. It's open to all, potentially would be useful for any clubs or groups who access the marine environment. If you can go that would be great - let us know if you are But if not, please do feed back any issues or ideas we can raise with respect to the way the government is planning, consulting, engaging and developing our coastal areas with specific reference to recreational use.

Chris, Chris.page@britishcanoeing.org.uk

Workshop details

The workshops will look at the recently published issues and evidence database, explore potential policies and review the proposed new format for the marine plans, which is more interactive, linking to our Marine Information System (MIS).

The workshops are an opportunity to discuss these in greater detail with the MMO’s marine planning team. In particular the workshops will include group discussions on your marine plan area's economic, social, environmental and governance issues, and whether some policies from the South and East Marine Plans are appropriate to address them.

To find out more and to book your place via Eventbrite, please click on one of the marine plan areas below.

North east marine plan area

• Scarborough: Wednesday 15 February 2017, Crown Spa Hotel, 9.30am to 4pm
    • Newcastle: Thursday 16 February 2017, Centre for Life, 9.30am to 4pm

North west marine plan area

• Blackpool: Tuesday 28 February 2017, Hilton Hotel, 9.30am to 4pm
    • Carlisle: Wednesday 1 March 2017, Hallmark Hotel, 9.30am to 4pm

South east marine plan area

• London: Tuesday 7 March 2017, The Wesley Hotel and Conference Venue, Euston House, 9.30am to 4pm
    • Colchester: Wednesday 8 March 2017, Rose and Crown Hotel, 9.30am to 4pm

South west marine plan area

• Falmouth: Tuesday 21 March 2017, National Maritime Museum, 9.30 am to 4pm
    • Plymouth: Wednesday 22 March 2017, Future Inn, 9.30am to 4pm
    • Taunton: Thursday 23 March 2017, Holiday Inn, 9.30am to 4pm

Evening drop-in sessions
    We will also be holding two evening drop in sessions in the north east and south west:

• Amble: Monday 13 February 2017, Amble Development Trust, 5 to 7pm
    • Falmouth: Monday 20 March 2017, National Maritime Museum, 5 to 7pm

These will include a presentation on the north east and south west marine plan areas respectively, which will run at 5pm and 6pm.

For more information please contact your local marine planning officer, or email planning@marinemanagement.org.uk

North east: Mellisa Metcalfe, 0208 225 7094
    North west: Sam Wright, 0208 225 7095
    South east: Pete Cosgrove, 0208 026 7865
    South west: Neal Gray, 0208 225 6647
    South west: Nick Boase, 0208 225 7066

But if not, please do feed back any issues or ideas we can raise with respect to the way the government is planning, consulting, engaging and developing our coastal areas with specific reference to recreational use.
    This has all the structure of a sentence in the English language - but the meaning entirely eludes me.

Anyone think they understand it?
    This post may vanish at any moment.

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

Does sound a bit bureaucratese.

Could we have some examples maybe, of the type of things you will be talking about, that might help people understand how it affects them?

"I stepped up on the platform. The man gave me the news. He said - you must be joking, son, where did you get those shoes?"

Crow Trip Log

I did have to read it several times. I suspect your request wasn't meant seriously, but I'll try! Government is planning to do stuff relating to recreational use of coastal areas. They've set up some meetings to find out what we think. BC would like us to take part in these meetings. If we don't, BC would like us to tell them what we think.

It's a bit odd that Government are spending money on this, when they don't have any, and there are very problems regarding coastal recreation (jetskis?) compared to those in other areas (such as inland water) that they aren't interested in.

Journal Entries

Fine and good, but what kind of 'stuff' are they talking about? All a bit vague. Some examples please.

Also, we know all about the access problems on rivers and lakes in England, but are there coastal access problems too? And what are they?

"I stepped up on the platform. The man gave me the news. He said - you must be joking, son, where did you get those shoes?"

Crow Trip Log

The government has been involved in a large project to 'gather data' on the coastal environment of the UK. This is data relating to any and all aspects of protecting, using and enhancing the marine environment - from the protection of wildlife and ecosystems to economic development. This is leading into the development of Marine Plans for the regions of the UK (e.g. a South West Marine Plan). The workshops are aimed at presenting the variety of data collected - and how these are translating into developing the Marine Plans. Each area has a variety of plans - from Tourism & Recreation (most relevant?!) to Cables! The site appears to be in development - I've requested full copies of the plans for the area I'm attending (North West) and requested more information on when they will be added to the website.

Examples of the ways in which marine planning may affect coastal paddlers are:
    - Poor access to various stretches of coast line
    - Development of marine protection zones which may impact on recreational use
    - Simply flagging and ensure planners consider the absolute PRN on coastal waters and how this is used by recreational users

This is more aimed at any paddlers who access the coasts around the country, and I wanted to flag we are attending, and so any thoughts on issues, challenges or opportunities can be sent to us. The site has links to questionnaires too for those who are interested by can't make an event - I'll update the thread when I hear about when the website will be fully populated with information.

Full details of each plan are at - http://mis.marinemanagement.org.uk/

The government has been involved in a large project to 'gather data' on the coastal environment of the UK. This is data relating to any and all aspects of protecting, using and enhancing the marine environment - from the protection of wildlife and ecosystems to economic development. This is leading into the development of Marine Plans for the regions of the UK (e.g. a South West Marine Plan). The workshops are aimed at presenting the variety of data collected - and how these are translating into developing the Marine Plans. Each area has a variety of plans - from Tourism & Recreation (most relevant?!) to Cables! The site appears to be in development - I've requested full copies of the plans for the area I'm attending (North West) and requested more information on when they will be added to the website.

- Simply flagging and ensure planners consider the absolute PRN on coastal waters and how this is used by recreational users

This is more aimed at any paddlers who access the coasts around the country, and I wanted to flag we are attending, and so any thoughts on issues, challenges or opportunities can be sent to us. The site has links to questionnaires too for those who are interested by can't make an event - I'll update the thread when I hear about when the website will be fully populated with information.

I think you should read, in full, this thread on UKRGB Sea Kayaking section. There was a proposal to introduce a 'canoe trail' on the sea, presumably with the aim of restricting access. It is clear from the discussion that, not only was this a really bad idea, it was likely only a ruse to introduce more restrictions.

https://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/...01&hilit=cliff

I would reinforce your final point that we must emphasise the public right of access, full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Cooper View Post
    I think you should read, in full, this thread on UKRGB Sea Kayaking section. There was a proposal to introduce a 'canoe trail' on the sea, presumably with the aim of restricting access. It is clear from the discussion that, not only was this a really bad idea, it was likely only a ruse to introduce more restrictions.

https://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/...01&hilit=cliff

I would reinforce your final point that we must emphasise the public right of access, full stop.
    I know the thread and the discussion well...

Something had obviously gone wrong in our communications/engagement process on that issue (which is partly why I want to show we are involved and we are doing that with and for paddlers). However, the intention of that trail (which was only one idea) was never to act in any way to restrict people to any set path (not least because that wouldn't be possible even if any of the partners involved - though there are mechanisms government can use to restrict navigation on the sea I understand).

There are (or can be some access issues on coastal waters - but not on the water itself so much as in accessing it - or in having good stop off points. Some beaches which are in private landownership can install either draconian restrictions on access to their land, or even seek to over-step the limits of this with regard to the foreshore/tidal limits etc. I don't think that will be a strong theme in these workshops, which are higher level, but we want to take with us as much feedback as we can muster on the opportunities available for strengthening and improving recreational use of the coasts.

Chris

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BC Waterways&Environment View Post

Thanks for the explanation, that makes it much clearer.

Crow Trip Log

I might go along for a gander, to find out what is going on.

Easy access to the sea if ever it is high enough and close enough to get on it. Southport notorious for its beach/mud

Doug
    When there's trouble on shore, there's peace on the wave,
    Afloat in the White Canoe.
    Alan Sullivan