Thread: Mass Paddle

Default Mass Paddle

A while back i saw a link to site documenting a mass paddle that happened sometime ago (80's?) in Wales I think. The fishermen blockaded the river in places,I can't seem to find it, if anyone knows the site could they post a link please. Thanks

Thanks Pam

Beaten to it

Quote Originally Posted by smurf View Post
    A while back i saw a link to site documenting a mass paddle that happened sometime ago (80's?) in Wales I think. The fishermen blockaded the river in places,I can't seem to find it, if anyone knows the site could they post a link please. Thanks
    Interesting case - one which still divides opinion!

Some look back on it fondly... casting those involved in heroic light. Parallels are drawn with other protests over the years... and the example is used as a benchmark of ambition against which all other efforts can and should be measured.

Others wince at the memory, recalling an episode that sparked militant reactions and significantly set back efforts to swing acceptance of a "live and let live" approach to sharing rivers.

Some "truth" in each way of looking at things... but not something to repeat right now: lots happening all over the place which could be jeopardised by even drawing attention to what transpired!

I dare since since the advent of the Aggravated Trespass law (1994) the police would do rather more than just observe if something similar was attempted today

And just what would the police do??

Probably nothing trespass is civil law and aggravated trespass is criminal law, all they can really do is ask you to leave the property by the quickest exit which is normally downstream.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Trespass is civil and the police would do nothing. An organised trespass is aggravated and indeed a criminal offence and you might well be arrested. I wouldn't assume you have safety in numbers either. I once saw a policeman stand on the hard shoulder of a traffic jammed motorway booking every single driver who took to the hard shoulder to reach the slip road that was only 100 metres away. Any insurance you have against legal costs of defence almost certainly only covers you for civil cases too.

Many efforts are being made, particularly in Wales right now, to show what reasonable people we and other river users are, in contrast to the ranting of certain members of the fishing community, to gain proper fair access. I agree with Greg that an illegal trespass would be counter productive at this point.
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

I agree too, a negotiated agreement is the way forward. Apologies if I gave the impression otherwise. I was just recounting the story of the mass paddle to a friend and couldn't remember all the details.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by GregandGinaS View Post
    Interesting case - one which still divides opinion!

Some look back on it fondly... casting those involved in heroic light. Parallels are drawn with other protests over the years... and the example is used as a benchmark of ambition against which all other efforts can and should be measured.

Others wince at the memory, recalling an episode that sparked militant reactions and significantly set back efforts to swing acceptance of a "live and let live" approach to sharing rivers.

Some "truth" in each way of looking at things... but not something to repeat right now: lots happening all over the place which could be jeopardised by even drawing attention to what transpired!
    This is very, very similar to the way in which the Kinder Mass Trespass was seen within the walking world for many years. We have lost a lot of the nuance in recent years in how that event was viewed. It was felt by many in the rambling movement, from the key organisations like the Ramblers and Open Spaces Society to other senior campaigners and figures to have set back the cause by decades. Again, no doubt truth on both sides - and no doubt also that both sides helped bring the issue to bear in different ways.

Chris