Thread: Wooden Paddle at Decathlon

Default Wooden Paddle at Decathlon

Just a quick question, I am afraid I may know the answer to already, which is probably "you get what you pay for"...

but I have found a wooden paddle at Decathlon for 21.

Eaglis Yampa paddle

EFFICIENCYDeep blade and woof flat part.

LIGHTWEIGHTWeight 750 g. Wood handle

COMPOSITION / ADVICE

COMPOSITIONPoplar and walnut wood.

CARE INSTRUCTIONS:Rinse with fresh water after use.

GUARANTEE :2 Years

I wondered if anyone had seen this, used it or had any review of it for a beginners paddle who can't yet afford a Grey owl etc....

Thanks
    Gary.
    Last edited by Gadget2466; 15th-January-2017 at 03:17 PM.

Had one for a while now, can't fault it for price. Made a big difference on paddling distances.
    Not managed to destroy it yet!

is this the one you mean?:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/yampa-150-wooden-canoe-paddle-id_8090638.html

I'm assuming that the 150 in the product name means 150cm - might be a tad short, depending how tall you are

Quote Originally Posted by aannddyyhh View Post
    is this the one you mean?:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/yampa-150-wooden-canoe-paddle-id_8090638.html

I'm assuming that the 150 in the product name means 150cm - might be a tad short, depending how tall you are
    Yes, that's the one.
    i'm somewhere between 5'9 and 5'10, haven't measured for years to be honest.

i need to measure up properly, but most general plastic type paddles come in 140 or 150cm lengths so pressumed the 150 would be what I need as it seemed to be the longest size without going to custom made paddles

750g isn't bad - my Grey Owl is 660g, and the Decathlon plastic and alloy ones are 900g. You can notice 100g in a paddle.

I'm not sure about
    woof flat part
    maybe they've left the bark on?

Joking apart, I really don't know what that's meant to mean!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
    750g isn't bad - my Grey Owl is 660g, and the Decathlon plastic and alloy ones are 900g. You can notice 100g in a paddle.

I'm not sure about

maybe they've left the bark on?

Joking apart, I really don't know what that's meant to mean!

Me Neither Chris, I assumed a typo for Wood flat part - but that still doesn't shine too much light on the issue either..... I know Decathlon is French, maybe they wanted to get the point across that the blade is wood as well, but translation of Blade to French does not mean the same thing as "Blade" does in this context...otherwise I am at a loss.

The weight looked ok. I would like to see some dimensions of the blade. No resin tips, but its only 20 quid. So to start with and as a spare later on.
    I can always return it if it looks too small, I just thought it would be nice to hear if any other inexperienced or newbie paddlers had them.

sorry, had a bit of a metric-imperial brain fart. 150cm/60" is probably about right if you're 5'10"ish

Great idea for a 2nd paddle (which I don't have) and one I could take on rivers where I'm too afraid to use my Grey Owl.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget2466 View Post
    but translation of Blade to French does not mean the same thing as "Blade" does in this context...otherwise I am at a loss.
    Blade = une pale

Shaft = un manche (handle)

West Country UK (and Quebec Province sometimes)

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Cooper View Post
    Blade = une pale

Shaft = un manche (handle)
    Quite so!

http://www.decathlon.fr/pagaie-canoe...d_8090638.html

(Amazing this chat room. I always thought manche was a feminine noun - as in La Manche - the English (sic) Channel. It is indeed female for that and for sleeve and "half" [of a game or match] but masculine for its other uses! http://www.wordreference.com/fren/Manche

Thanks Adrian!)

But they seem a decent product for all of that! AND really good value over here, too!
    G

'Adventure is relative. My adventure is another's commonplace.'

My only comment regarding the paddle is that poplar is not a very durable material. Carlisle make wooden paddles and I think they use poplar; whilst they are light they might be a bit 'fat' but I have seen then dented and split.

I have this general theory about French nouns that you can tell if they are masculine of feminine by their ending and 'manche' with the soft 'e' at the end would make it feminine, but not always it seems.

Good spot Grizzle - "Pale profonde et plate en bois" = "Blade deep and flat, in wood"

I guess the walnut edges are to protect the soft poplar, not a bad way to make a cheap and relatively light paddle.

I use one as my second paddle, for the price you cant go wrong if on a budget.
    If in doubt, hit it with a hammer!!

I bought one and I think it is awful. The blade is far too small. I would rather have a plastic one with a bigger blade than this.

I wish I had put the money to a better one.

I thought it was OK, but then I bought the cheaper plastic one from Decathlon as well and it actually is better

(I'm a beginner though - I have experience with a total of 2 canoe paddles, both from Decathlon)

Cheers
    Richard