Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guide Dog Paddle on the River Idle and/or Chesterfield canal

Default Guide Dog Paddle on the River Idle and/or Chesterfield canal

Firstly, a very happy new Year to you all!

These things take a bit of organisation, so I thought I'd give advance warning of another Guide Dog Paddle, which will be the third or 4th (I can't remember!)

It'll be happening on the Bank Holiday Weekend 27/28/29th May, in and around Retford in North Nottinghamshire.

For those who haven't been before, a great Friend of ours, Jeff Williamson, has yet again offered the garden of his beautiful country house to hold this event. Jeff, aka Jumping Jeff, was a high quality motocross driver competing with the likes of Timo Makkinnon. He has his own car museum which he is always delighted to show you.

Camping or caravanning is the order of the day, if you want to stay overnight, where we booze and barbeque.

The beautiful canal is accessible from your tent, and the Idle is about 5 miles away. The choice is yours to do as you wish.

I expect to have some real-life Guide dogs and their owners popping in to charm and talk to you during the evenings, and one or two have asked if they can experience canoeing with you. Some of you will remember our first GD Paddle, which was 32 miles along the canal in two days!!!, with 25 locks to portage. It was amazing how well my blind bow paddler coped with it, especially putting up his tent in a monsoon. He finished well before the rest of us.

Whilst we would like to raise some cash (the dogs cost 50,000 you know!!). There is no charge, and no expectations of donations, but if people would like to raise sponsorship or something that would be great. If you take with you kind thoughts and appreciation of this wonderful charity will be enough for me.

Put it in your diaries, please!!

I'm up for a bit of this for sure. A long way off but its in my diary.

Just wondering how to raise a bit of money, going to ask if folks would sponsor me for 10 pence per mile I'm sure I could make a couple of quid over the weekend.

Mr. Williamson's museum is definitely worth a browse if it's open and I've seen the "Senna wheel" with my very own eyes.

I'll be hopefully attending all weekend and have a bow seat spare for a couple of the days.

This sounds good. I might even be able to convince Mrs and Miss along too.

32 canal miles doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun though I have to say!
    I refuse to let the fact that I haven't got a clue what I'm doing hold me back.

In the diary, not sure I'm up to 32 miles though, maybe an idea , If folks pledged a certain amount for camping the weekend?rather than a price per mile. I'll start it off by pledging a 100

Dont worry about doing 32 miles, that was a one-off. Just decide either individually or as a group what you want to do. The canal is near a few canalside pubs, you can.walk to them for the non paddlers. The nearest pub one year had a music festival, some of the ladies spent the afternoon getting sozzled. On one day the regular Idle Beggars route is always very popular. We had to train very hard for the 32 miler, most of us had only been canoeing for 3 months and had only once done 3 miles!!! At the end they had to lift some of us out of the boats.
    Last edited by Tykey; 3rd-January-2017 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davidfletcher View Post
    In the diary, not sure I'm up to 32 miles though, maybe an idea , If folks pledged a certain amount for camping the weekend?rather than a price per mile. I'll start it off by pledging a 100
    Thats fantastic!!! Closer to the date, I'll be offering fundraising assistance with whatever method individuals might choose. No compulsion to do anything, apart from having a good time.

Hi Eddie,

We's hoping to pop along for this , he says bumping slightly.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by cankay.org.uk View Post
    Hi Eddie,

We's hoping to pop along for this , he says bumping slightly.

Jon
    jon, isn't this the normal date of your annual barrow meet!

Yes, but it would seem counter productive and a little anti-soc to set up a competing event, as we're only 1hr drive apart. Jewels and I have enjoyed the previous Tykey Doggie Paddles we've done and more than happy to support other people organising 'local' paddles.

We've a couple of ideas for Barrow and no doubt we'll have something ongoing there at least once this year, more if peeps drop hints...

Excellent, Jon, it's always good to see you and Jewels. Invite your Brother from Leeds of course!

Possibly just the Saturday night dont finish work till 10pm on Fridays
    If in doubt, hit it with a hammer!!

If anyone has a ukulele, (or any other instrument) bring it along! We might have a singsong around the camp fire

Quote Originally Posted by Tykey View Post
    If anyone has a ukulele, (or any other instrument) bring it along! We might have a singsong around the camp fire
    you obviously have not seen the vid of robin and his uke, ( blog -5 degree) !!!!!!

Evening Tykey, Rimfire and family looking forward to this one. Campfire singing a great speciality of mine, honed by 18 years of battle re-enactment camping, but now going rusty through lack of use due to committing parenthood. I shall dig out my song book and do a little practice.

Calefactio orbis? Culus meus!!

Hi tykey when would camping be from? I finish work at 10 on friday and the only option would be to come straight away arriving early am to make it worth while.

Quote Originally Posted by Rimfire View Post
    Evening Tykey, Rimfire and family looking forward to this one. Campfire singing a great speciality of mine, honed by 18 years of battle re-enactment camping, but now going rusty through lack of use due to committing parenthood. I shall dig out my song book and do a little practice.

Didn't you do a bit of singing for us at the last one. Somebody did, and it was brilliant.

Didn't you do a bit of singing for us at the last one. Somebody did, and it was brilliant.
    Deffo remember some most excellent singing from both father and daughter

[QUOTE=jimmyads;631231]Hi tykey when would camping be from? I finish work at 10 on friday and the only option would be to come straight away arriving early am to make it worth while?]

Arrive any time, leave any time up to Tuesday morning. It's extremely flexible. It's only us lot on site. Bring a torch if it's dark. I'll be there over Friday night, and a light sleeper, so no doubt I'll see you on arrival whatever. Or give me a ring when you are a mile away.

it's not an issue.��

PS if our second event was anything to go by, there was so much snoring from someone who shall remain nameless, that nobody slept anyway��
    Last edited by Tykey; 28th-January-2017 at 01:38 PM.

Hi Tykey.

There is a good chance i will be at this meet. Where is the location,we will be camping at.

The snoring you had last time,was that some one who was at Anchor Church.

Lmao, ill be in my van so probably wony hear it, dont worry with my dad there and maybe gary itll be like the 3 tenors

Would hope to get along to this if there is room

Just for early info: this weekend is also the start of the National Go Canoeing Week 2017. No specific info on the site yet - other than the theme 'Big Adventure'. As with recent years, it'd be good to keep tabs on numbers of paddlers and miles done....

Quote Originally Posted by jonah aka View Post
    Would hope to get along to this if there is room
    Loads of room. We might have a special area for the 3 tenors, 100 yards away at the other end of the site.

Quote Originally Posted by slavetothepaddle View Post
    Hi Tykey.

There is a good chance i will be at this meet. Where is the location,we will be camping at.

The snoring you had last time,was that some one who was at Anchor Church.
    it's on Bonemill Lane, Retford. DN22 9NL

It's a house on the left, immediately before you go over the humpback canal bridge. We are round the back of it.

Quote Originally Posted by cankay.org.uk View Post
    Deffo remember some most excellent singing from both father and daughter
    I think that may have been us. Thank you for the compliment, I shall tell Little Madam of your appreciation.

Hi Tykey.

Thanks for the info.

is there a link to any previous doggy paddles???

Hi David,

Here are a couple of blogs from previous Tykey Doggy Paddles
    2013 Hair Of The Doggie Paddle
    and anorher one

Cheers
    Jon

Thanks Jon. There is also a blog about our very first event, back in 2012. The 32 miles in 2 days adventure. I'm still hurting!!! An extremely ambitious challenge, never to be done again, unless anyone wants to. It seemed easy as a concept, because two of our paddlers did it and more the year before, all the way from Chesterfield, which as well as another 6 miles of paddling needed portage of 8 miles.

Whatever the pain, it was an amazing experience to finish something which I never thought possible for an OAP like me.

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...t=guide+paddle

I'm also up for this paddle so will put it in my diary. Would like to camp with small caravan please

Quote Originally Posted by Orthodromy View Post
    I'm also up for this paddle so will put it in my diary. Would like to camp with small caravan please
    No problem at all, looking forward to seeing you.

hi tykey, will be attending and donating. onepaddler plus one pedestrian, camping Friday and sat. Is any body starting a list, if so can they add my name.

Quote Originally Posted by ricogee View Post
    hi tykey, will be attending and donating. onepaddler plus one pedestrian, camping Friday and sat. Is any body starting a list, if so can they add my name.
    Hi, good idea, I'll start a list. Look forward to meeting you.

Right, me hearties!!, 'ere's t'list to date:

Ricogee
    Orthodromy
    Cankay
    Jewels
    David Fletcher
    Rimfire
    Slave to the Paddle
    Jonah aka
    Jimmyads
    Bobbing Ben
    Whitenoise
    Di
    Joel.

That's a great list this far off the event!!

Can you add me and Catherine to the list please, tbc but likely!

Delighted to do so murph and Catherine

Ricogee

Orthodromy
    Cankay
    Jewels
    David Fletcher
    Rimfire
    Slave to the Paddle
    Jonah aka
    Jimmyads
    Bobbing Ben
    Whitenoise
    Di
    Joel.
    murph847 and Catherine

STOP PRESS!!!! We have toilet facilities! Compliments of Di, who has a portaloo!! That aspect has always been a problem on earlier events.

STOP PRESS!!!! We have toilet facilities! Compliments of Di, who has a portaloo!! That aspect has always been a problem on earlier events.
    Ah!! Do you think it may be worth hiring a proper loo? I'm not to bothered as have my own

Ah!! Do you think it may be worth hiring a proper loo? I'm not to bothered as have my own
    Sorry, I wasn't clear, it is a proper one, not one of the little cassette jobs.

Couple of questions. Are we ok to put in a this location any time, or only by pre-arrangement with the owner of the house? And second, what is the plan for paddling, circular routes or paddle - camp - paddle - camp? My wife and I live not too far form Retford so it would give us somewhere else to go to paddle and practice.

Sorry, I wasn't clear, it is a proper one, not one of the little cassette jobs.
    ok was thinking it just cassette type!!!

Quote Originally Posted by murph847 View Post
    Couple of questions. Are we ok to put in a this location any time, or only by pre-arrangement with the owner of the house? And second, what is the plan for paddling, circular routes or paddle - camp - paddle - camp? My wife and I live not too far form Retford so it would give us somewhere else to go to paddle and practice.
    my guess would be , it's a one off to be enjoyed

my guess would be , it's a one off to be enjoyed
    I'm thinking it's probably the same, but if there is somewhere nearby to put in it's handy to know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by murph847 View Post
    On the canal, there are dozens of places to put in and out, every lock and bridge provides an opportunity, so you dont need access via Jeff's. As for the River, have you ever paddled with the Idle Beggars? They do it regularly. I'd suggest that the first thing to do is look at the blogs such as this one just before Xmas. http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...Idle-Xmas-trip, Mayobren normally organises these, so will be able to point out the points to get in and out, but you would need two cars to do a shuttle. Whilst in theory, it is possible to have a circular route up the canal and down the river, it's for only the very fit and intrepid paddler.

It's very difficult to plan anything for this event this far ahead, wind can determine which direction to go on the canal, and water depth might influence the Idle plans. The river can be a bit more challenging than the canal if it's full, so that might influence what novices might choose, but the canal is far more attractive with plenty of pubs. We'll have paddlers there who have experience of both river and canal, who can advise/suggest each day. I'd be pretty certain that on one day at least there will be a paddle from West Drayton to Chainbridge, as in the Idle Beggars blog I listed above. There's no reason why some might do a leisurely canal pub crawl, why others go for a potential swim in the river.

If you want to go on the canal independantly , but only have one car, then it's a case of going there and back to the starting point. If you want to do that before this event, let me know where you live and I can point you to the nearest most attractive stretches.

ok was thinking it just cassette type!!!
    We had one of those last time, and it overflowed pretty quickly

Thanks for a very informative reply. We have done a bit of paddling on the canal, but not on the river yet. I'll have a look at the Beggars link, looking forward to getting out on the water!

Tykey, please can you amend your list to show Rimfire + Mrs Rimfire and Little Madam.
    Cheers

Ricogee
    Orthodromy
    Cankay
    Jewels
    David Fletcher
    Rimfire + Mrs Rimfire and Little Madam
    Slave to the Paddle
    Jonah aka
    Jimmyads
    Bobbing Ben
    Whitenoise
    Di
    Joel.
    murph847 and Catherine

I was on one of my canine perambulations yesterday, and finished up walking along the Idle. I've never seen it looking nicer, cloudless sky, gentle breeze lots of water (not too much). Here's the Hallcroft weir, looking very inviting.

Last edited by Tykey; 14th-February-2017 at 08:17 AM.

looking very inviting.
    Alas ... all I can see is a grey no-entry sign.

Regretfully my wife and I will have to withdraw from this one, due to work commitments and a wedding. Hopefully will be able to attend some get togethers later.

Right peeps, just 9 weeks to go! So if anyone missed the previous discussions, here's the place to catch up, put in in your diaries, come along and have a great time, whilst supporting a wonderful charity.

One lady from Newark who is blind and has a lovely guide dog will be joining us to knock canoeing off her bucket list. Her name is Netty, a lovely lady who is truly inspirational in her attitude to life.

She is running the London Marathon, and the funds we raise from this event will go to boost her total.

Here's her story in her own words:

http://newarkadvertiser.co.uk/news/2...-marathon-test

I'm still up for this, looking forward to meeting netty

It now looks like I will be joining you for a day out with a blind colleague who tells me he is looking forward to this. Me too
    Sean
    AKA Jammy
    [/U][/SIZE][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Jamatrad View Post
    It now looks like I will be joining you for a day out with a blind colleague who tells me he is looking forward to this. Me too
    That's great Sean. Does he have a Guide Dog?

He does but normally just hangs on to my elbow for the day.
    Sean
    AKA Jammy
    [/U][/SIZE][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Jamatrad View Post
    He does but normally just hangs on to my elbow for the day.
    He's very welcome to bring the dog along. I'm a registered, qualified Guide Dog boarder, so I'm more than happy to look after it if he's going paddling. Unless the dog does guiding in a boat, one woof for left, two woofs for right!!

Sadly, Whitenoise has had to drop out. I know he was looking forward to taking Netty for her first blind paddle (It's on her bucket list!)

Is anyone else willing to consider using her as your bow paddler for part of the weekend? She's a lovely lady with a great sense of adventure and fun.

min is single seater sorry,

Tykey, we may be able to take Netty as bow oar for part of the week end. My boat is big enough for three, and Little Madam can paddle at the waist for a while.
    Cheers
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast