Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Paddling can interfere with other water-users. An angling perspective.

I am amazed some seek to make the argument so personal so quickly - I am glad to say I didn't do the same when several paddlers chose to try and interact on fishingmagic , gofishing or any of the various other angling fora I have frequented.
    Last edited by BennyGesserit; 22nd-December-2016 at 11:02 PM.

I'm sorry if you thought my comment was me making things personal, but your post showed several classic signs of trolling, miss quoted figures, a misleading quote and a questionable equivalency.

As to your 20 million figure. Again, in what way is that benefitting recreational paddlers who simply want peaceful access to our nations rivers? It's for Olympic athletes. If angling gets past demonstration status at the Olympics it may be eligible for similar funding.

If it does make it past demonstration status over climbing (which should have been a full olympic sport years ago) it's a travesty, how does angling fit with "Faster, higher, stronger."? But that's a personal bugbear and off topic for the forum, never mind this thread.
    The only thing you have to fear is Mergatroid the vengeful, man eating bear.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudman View Post
    BOPA no longer exist and I doubt it ever did as a genuine organisation, I have yet to learn of anyone who was a member. So these signs are a fraud as BOPA did not have permission to act on behalf of paddlers. It was basically is a tool used by Chris Charters to try and give himself some credibility, he failed miserably.
    Yep - I think we've agreed about this before. What was a tad worrying was that the figures being bandied around at the time the VAA was "arranged".
    £14,000.00 to WUF and £2,000.00 of that to BOPA I believe. I'm not claiming these figures are accurate btw, just saying. The money allegedly came from SPLASH! funding.

As far as I remember BOPA started life as a genuine organisation, but went down the pan.

Quote Originally Posted by saarlak View Post
    I'm sorry if you thought my comment was me making things personal, but your post showed several classic signs of trolling, miss quoted figures, a misleading quote and a questionable equivalency.

As to your 20 million figure. Again, in what way is that benefitting recreational paddlers who simply want peaceful access to our nations rivers? It's for Olympic athletes. If angling gets past demonstration status at the Olympics it may be eligible for similar funding.

If it does make it past demonstration status over climbing (which should have been a full olympic sport years ago) it's a travesty, how does angling fit with "Faster, higher, stronger."? But that's a personal bugbear and off topic for the forum, never mind this thread.

I'd be amazed if in its entirety the figure was exclusively for Olympic class athletes , people at that level don't simply appear on the scene ready made.

From https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/o...ent-programme/

There is a lot of talk about developing talent , assisting canoeing clubs ( you are right not recreational paddlers ) and building an infrastructure. So you really haven't benefited from any of that input in any way ? Even if its improved facilities at your local club?

Anyway some anglers would not see the distinction - the normal forum route is

Anglers we pay for access -> paddlers we subsidise angling through our taxes -> anglers we subsidise canoeing through our taxes -> ( Go back to the beginning )

None of it really relevant to the central question of access - just a sideshow really.

Our club has not had a penny from anyone in the more than 20 years I have been a member. No facilities, no equipment, no representation to the NGB. We get along fine paying our way and helping anglers to enjoy our rivers.

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BennyGesserit View Post
    I'd be amazed if in its entirety the figure was exclusively for Olympic class athletes , people at that level don't simply appear on the scene ready made.

From https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/o...ent-programme/

There is a lot of talk about developing talent , assisting canoeing clubs ( you are right not recreational paddlers ) and building an infrastructure. So you really haven't benefited from any of that input in any way ? Even if its improved facilities at your local club?
    No.

As an individual paddler, not a member of a club or association, I receive none of that.

Now I wish to God I'd joined those men when they were set ashore, but I chose a wild and a reckless life serving under Captain Moore.

Crow Trip Log

I'm not a member of any club, I'm not even a member of the BCU at the moment. I'm a traditional open canoeist, it's a noncompetitive discipline so isn't funded through sports england as far as I'm aware, I get changed by the side of the road, poop in the woods, buy all my own equipment and paddle to get away from facilities and infrastructure.

Anglers don't pay for access, they pay for fishing rights.
    The only thing you have to fear is Mergatroid the vengeful, man eating bear.

Journal Entries

And anyway, this is way off topic now.

Why don't you start a new thread, to discuss how much canoeists are subsidised and see what response you get? And maybe explain its relevance to access rights.

Now I wish to God I'd joined those men when they were set ashore, but I chose a wild and a reckless life serving under Captain Moore.

Crow Trip Log

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    And anyway, this is way off topic now.

Why don't you start a new thread, to discuss how much canoeists are subsidised and see what response you get? And maybe explain its relevance to access rights.
    I would but I previously said this

"None of it really relevant to the central question of access - just a sideshow really."

Journal Entries

I see.

Crow Trip Log

Didn't stop you posting on the subject five times plus two or three apologies for posting.

I don't see any problem with the opinions being posted here. If some don't like it then participation is voluntary - you don't have to shut the thread down, or shut individual contributors up. Vote with your feet & take yourself out of the conversation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I read about the evils of drinking I gave up reading.

When you expect a grouch you find them every where. If you expect to find someone that loves the water as much as you there are lots of them everywhere. Share the love.
    Dr. Joe
    Electric Hospital
    Coos Bay Or
    http://electrichospital.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Joe View Post
    When you expect a grouch you find them every where. If you expect to find someone that loves the water as much as you there are lots of them everywhere. Share the love.
    Thus in one stroke upsetting those on here who don't like sport-fishing, those who are envious of wide open spaces, and those who don't like to see trophy fish which have clearly recently spawned, or are due to spawn fairly soon .

But I agree with your sentiment .

Journal Entries

How about this then?

Crow Trip Log

How about this then?

Looks good.

Not bad at all .

How about this then?

I guess it kinda makes a point... but if I were in the mood, I might wonder why all those 'stick figures' are quite clearly male. Don't women use the water too? Just askin'.....

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r View Post
    I guess it kinda makes a point... but if I were in the mood, I might wonder why all those 'stick figures' are quite clearly male. Don't women use the water too? Just askin'.....
    The second stick figure from the left is female - she's left her bra off! ;-)
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

The one with a kayak paddle wears a skirt - not necessarily female, but . . . .

I am sure many have already seen this Ray Mears video of the Wye from source to sea, I think it is worth posting again as it gives a good balance view of the river from various interested parties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S9--_QDZC0
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    Yes - there's one or two sanctimonious posters on here……...
    Having done some (a little) commercial fishing I know that commercially-caught fish are either left to asphyxiate, or gutted alive.
    By extension, if you eat fish, and remember you don't have to, to stay alive, you are partly responsible if you believe those fish suffer.
    And anyone using any plastic in their lives, not just plastic boats, is guilty of pollution.

Clearly canoes and kayaks are not necessary to life in the UK.
    Although anyone who tries to take my plastic boats off me is in big trouble!
    Just seen this.

That bit about commercial fishing... Learn something every day, I dont know why I assumed it would be different but will read up on that...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

The second stick figure from the left is female - she's left her bra off! ;-)
    Yeah, I think we met here and a couple of her friends last year, can't remember it if was the Wye or the Dee though.

Great t-shirt, but would be better with canoeist, SUPer, sailboater, rower boater, sculler etc (with females) a) to better illustrate diversity, b) and maybe to show that fishing is just one of many.

Hopefully we see a similar debate and t-shirt for England!!!!

It was june on the wye jon just after the wier at hay on wye
    If in doubt, hit it with a hammer!!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cankay.org.uk View Post
    Yeah, I think we met here and a couple of her friends last year, can't remember it if was the Wye or the Dee though.

Great t-shirt, but would be better with canoeist, SUPer, sailboater, rower boater, sculler etc (with females) a) to better illustrate diversity, b) and maybe to show that fishing is just one of many.

Hopefully we see a similar debate and t-shirt for England!!!!
    The fisherman on the right is wearing a St. George's flag t-shirt.

Crow Trip Log

The fisherman on the right is wearing a St. George's flag t-shirt.
    Unless its the flag of Sweden, they're quite keen on Angling if memory serves.
    -------------------------
    You! Off my planet!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345