Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 241 to 266 of 266

Thread: Paddling can interfere with other water-users. An angling perspective.

  1. #241

    Default

    I am amazed some seek to make the argument so personal so quickly - I am glad to say I didn't do the same when several paddlers chose to try and interact on fishingmagic , gofishing or any of the various other angling fora I have frequented.
    Last edited by BennyGesserit; 22nd-December-2016 at 11:02 PM.

  2. #242
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NE England
    Posts
    1,307

    Default

    I'm sorry if you thought my comment was me making things personal, but your post showed several classic signs of trolling, miss quoted figures, a misleading quote and a questionable equivalency.

    As to your 20 million figure. Again, in what way is that benefitting recreational paddlers who simply want peaceful access to our nations rivers? It's for Olympic athletes. If angling gets past demonstration status at the Olympics it may be eligible for similar funding.

    If it does make it past demonstration status over climbing (which should have been a full olympic sport years ago) it's a travesty, how does angling fit with "Faster, higher, stronger."? But that's a personal bugbear and off topic for the forum, never mind this thread.
    The only thing you have to fear is Mergatroid the vengeful, man eating bear.

  3. #243
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Mid-Wales (River Wye)
    Posts
    1,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cloudman View Post
    BOPA no longer exist and I doubt it ever did as a genuine organisation, I have yet to learn of anyone who was a member. So these signs are a fraud as BOPA did not have permission to act on behalf of paddlers. It was basically is a tool used by Chris Charters to try and give himself some credibility, he failed miserably.
    Yep - I think we've agreed about this before. What was a tad worrying was that the figures being bandied around at the time the VAA was "arranged".
    £14,000.00 to WUF and £2,000.00 of that to BOPA I believe. I'm not claiming these figures are accurate btw, just saying. The money allegedly came from SPLASH! funding.

    As far as I remember BOPA started life as a genuine organisation, but went down the pan.

  4. #244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saarlak View Post
    I'm sorry if you thought my comment was me making things personal, but your post showed several classic signs of trolling, miss quoted figures, a misleading quote and a questionable equivalency.

    As to your 20 million figure. Again, in what way is that benefitting recreational paddlers who simply want peaceful access to our nations rivers? It's for Olympic athletes. If angling gets past demonstration status at the Olympics it may be eligible for similar funding.

    If it does make it past demonstration status over climbing (which should have been a full olympic sport years ago) it's a travesty, how does angling fit with "Faster, higher, stronger."? But that's a personal bugbear and off topic for the forum, never mind this thread.

    I'd be amazed if in its entirety the figure was exclusively for Olympic class athletes , people at that level don't simply appear on the scene ready made.

    From https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/o...ent-programme/

    There is a lot of talk about developing talent , assisting canoeing clubs ( you are right not recreational paddlers ) and building an infrastructure. So you really haven't benefited from any of that input in any way ? Even if its improved facilities at your local club?

    Anyway some anglers would not see the distinction - the normal forum route is

    Anglers we pay for access -> paddlers we subsidise angling through our taxes -> anglers we subsidise canoeing through our taxes -> ( Go back to the beginning )

    None of it really relevant to the central question of access - just a sideshow really.

  5. #245
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Bucks
    Posts
    6,598

    Default

    Our club has not had a penny from anyone in the more than 20 years I have been a member. No facilities, no equipment, no representation to the NGB. We get along fine paying our way and helping anglers to enjoy our rivers.

  6. #246
    Crow's Avatar
    Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    15,655
    Journal Entries
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BennyGesserit View Post
    I'd be amazed if in its entirety the figure was exclusively for Olympic class athletes , people at that level don't simply appear on the scene ready made.

    From https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/o...ent-programme/

    There is a lot of talk about developing talent , assisting canoeing clubs ( you are right not recreational paddlers ) and building an infrastructure. So you really haven't benefited from any of that input in any way ? Even if its improved facilities at your local club?
    No.

    As an individual paddler, not a member of a club or association, I receive none of that.

    Now I wish to God I'd joined those men when they were set ashore, but I chose a wild and a reckless life serving under Captain Moore.

    Crow Trip Log

  7. #247
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NE England
    Posts
    1,307

    Default

    I'm not a member of any club, I'm not even a member of the BCU at the moment. I'm a traditional open canoeist, it's a noncompetitive discipline so isn't funded through sports england as far as I'm aware, I get changed by the side of the road, poop in the woods, buy all my own equipment and paddle to get away from facilities and infrastructure.

    Anglers don't pay for access, they pay for fishing rights.
    The only thing you have to fear is Mergatroid the vengeful, man eating bear.

  8. #248
    Crow's Avatar
    Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    15,655
    Journal Entries
    10

    Default

    And anyway, this is way off topic now.

    Why don't you start a new thread, to discuss how much canoeists are subsidised and see what response you get? And maybe explain its relevance to access rights.

    Now I wish to God I'd joined those men when they were set ashore, but I chose a wild and a reckless life serving under Captain Moore.

    Crow Trip Log

  9. #249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    And anyway, this is way off topic now.

    Why don't you start a new thread, to discuss how much canoeists are subsidised and see what response you get? And maybe explain its relevance to access rights.
    I would but I previously said this

    "None of it really relevant to the central question of access - just a sideshow really."

  10. #250
    Crow's Avatar
    Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    15,655
    Journal Entries
    10

    Default

    I see.

    Now I wish to God I'd joined those men when they were set ashore, but I chose a wild and a reckless life serving under Captain Moore.

    Crow Trip Log

  11. #251
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Bucks
    Posts
    6,598

    Default

    Didn't stop you posting on the subject five times plus two or three apologies for posting.

  12. #252
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    603

    Default

    I don't see any problem with the opinions being posted here. If some don't like it then participation is voluntary - you don't have to shut the thread down, or shut individual contributors up. Vote with your feet & take yourself out of the conversation!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I read about the evils of drinking I gave up reading.

  13. #253
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    1,499

    Default

    When you expect a grouch you find them every where. If you expect to find someone that loves the water as much as you there are lots of them everywhere. Share the love.
    Dr. Joe
    Electric Hospital
    Coos Bay Or
    http://electrichospital.com

  14. #254
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Mid-Wales (River Wye)
    Posts
    1,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Joe View Post
    When you expect a grouch you find them every where. If you expect to find someone that loves the water as much as you there are lots of them everywhere. Share the love.
    Thus in one stroke upsetting those on here who don't like sport-fishing, those who are envious of wide open spaces, and those who don't like to see trophy fish which have clearly recently spawned, or are due to spawn fairly soon .

    But I agree with your sentiment .

  15. #255
    Crow's Avatar
    Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    15,655
    Journal Entries
    10

    Default

    How about this then?


    Now I wish to God I'd joined those men when they were set ashore, but I chose a wild and a reckless life serving under Captain Moore.

    Crow Trip Log

  16. #256
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    North Notts
    Posts
    388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    How about this then?


    Looks good.

  17. #257
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Mid-Wales (River Wye)
    Posts
    1,107

    Default

    Not bad at all .

  18. #258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    How about this then?

    I guess it kinda makes a point... but if I were in the mood, I might wonder why all those 'stick figures' are quite clearly male. Don't women use the water too? Just askin'.....

  19. #259
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Robin Hood's Bay,Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sk8r View Post
    I guess it kinda makes a point... but if I were in the mood, I might wonder why all those 'stick figures' are quite clearly male. Don't women use the water too? Just askin'.....
    The second stick figure from the left is female - she's left her bra off! ;-)
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

  20. #260
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    cambs
    Posts
    1,419

    Default

    The one with a kayak paddle wears a skirt - not necessarily female, but . . . .

  21. #261
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Cheshire UK
    Posts
    1,573

    Default

    I am sure many have already seen this Ray Mears video of the Wye from source to sea, I think it is worth posting again as it gives a good balance view of the river from various interested parties.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S9--_QDZC0
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.

  22. #262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    Yes - there's one or two sanctimonious posters on here……...
    Having done some (a little) commercial fishing I know that commercially-caught fish are either left to asphyxiate, or gutted alive.
    By extension, if you eat fish, and remember you don't have to, to stay alive, you are partly responsible if you believe those fish suffer.
    And anyone using any plastic in their lives, not just plastic boats, is guilty of pollution.

    Clearly canoes and kayaks are not necessary to life in the UK.
    Although anyone who tries to take my plastic boats off me is in big trouble!
    Just seen this.

    That bit about commercial fishing... Learn something every day, I dont know why I assumed it would be different but will read up on that...

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

  23. #263
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    1,691

    Default

    The second stick figure from the left is female - she's left her bra off! ;-)
    Yeah, I think we met here and a couple of her friends last year, can't remember it if was the Wye or the Dee though.

    Great t-shirt, but would be better with canoeist, SUPer, sailboater, rower boater, sculler etc (with females) a) to better illustrate diversity, b) and maybe to show that fishing is just one of many.

    Hopefully we see a similar debate and t-shirt for England!!!!

  24. #264
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Morecambe
    Posts
    947

    Default

    It was june on the wye jon just after the wier at hay on wye
    If in doubt, hit it with a hammer!!

  25. #265
    Crow's Avatar
    Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    15,655
    Journal Entries
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cankay.org.uk View Post
    Yeah, I think we met here and a couple of her friends last year, can't remember it if was the Wye or the Dee though.

    Great t-shirt, but would be better with canoeist, SUPer, sailboater, rower boater, sculler etc (with females) a) to better illustrate diversity, b) and maybe to show that fishing is just one of many.

    Hopefully we see a similar debate and t-shirt for England!!!!
    The fisherman on the right is wearing a St. George's flag t-shirt.

    Now I wish to God I'd joined those men when they were set ashore, but I chose a wild and a reckless life serving under Captain Moore.

    Crow Trip Log

  26. #266
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    The fisherman on the right is wearing a St. George's flag t-shirt.
    Unless its the flag of Sweden, they're quite keen on Angling if memory serves.
    -------------------------
    You! Off my planet!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •