Thread: Editing posts.

Default Editing posts.

What are the site settings for the editing of posts?

I know that you are able to edit your post within a few minutes of posting which I have always used to correct any spelling errors or format errors.

But I have noticed today that some posts have been edited after people have responded in the thread to that post, so I was wondering what the site settings are currently set on.

I think it's up to an hour from posting.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

... if you make a complete ~*7&&@!!* of a posting and discover your error too late to correct it yourself you can always ask a friendly moderator to correct it for you. Odd typos I just leave as is ... then again for me that's qualified, see below
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

For me, after a follow up post has been made no further editing should be allowed.
    The thread that caused me to notice this has been extensively edited after other people have posted and responded. But the person has then gone back to change what he said in the original post to make themselves look better.

if you quote the OP in your reply then they can't go back & edit it

at the end of the days, it's only the Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Sutchy View Post
    For me, after a follow up post has been made no further editing should be allowed.
    The thread that caused me to notice this has been extensively edited after other people have posted and responded. But the person has then gone back to change what he said in the original post to make themselves look better.
    We used to allow editing for a lot longer but stopped because of problems like above. Unfortunately there is no setting for blocking edits once there is a reply. It is only a time we can set. I'm pretty sure it is set at an hour now as this seemed the best balance. Any less and the moderators get too many requests about fixing spelling etc. Any longer and we have more problems with history being revised.

Moderators do have the ability to revert posts to their pre edited form but it's not something we do often.

We we do get quite a lot of people asking to edit posts to update information etc. We almost always advice a new post on the thread with the new information as this bumps the thread and ensures all people subscribed to the thread get a notification of the update.
    John