Thread: What kind of Blades

Default What kind of Blades

Hi guys,I haven't been on for a while,my son and his friends had their maiden voyage in Sept,on Loch Earn,it was in the Coleman,the event was to be filmed,but sometimes the best laid plans can turn into something else, the camera man and his assistant fell in the Loch,fully clothed and they and the camera got a wee bit wet,but apart from that minor hiccup a great time was had by all,now to this topics heading,I won 2 x wooden paddles on ebay tonight,they were wrongly advertised as Vintage Oars, I got the 2 of them for 25.what I want to know is,what kind of Blades they have and what is the correct name for the top?where your other hand goes, see them here,ebay item 282271374860

No result for that number on ebay. Link?

The top is simply the grip.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Hi Mal, thanks for the reply, the aucrion has ended that's why the number does,nt work, but here is another link that does, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2822713748...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT like I said, they were advertised as rowing boat oars,

Hopefully this pic will upload

Hopefully this pic will uploadit did,nt,

Image: (mamaged to link direct to the ebay image)

They just look like a basic all-round blade to me, quite heavy looking.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

If you're handy with a plane/spokeshave or similar, you could take some thickness out of the blade and probably improve their usefulness. They look a bit short though.
    Paul.
    Just goin with the flow

The blades might be described as somebody's idea of a beavertail, but probably someone who hadn't actually seen a beavertail blade. Can't tell what kind of wood they are, but they look terribly heavy - both blades and shaft are really thick. Can't honestly see they'd be a whole lot of use as canoe paddles as they stand. You'd probably be much better off looking at some of the lower-end synthetic e.g. plastic & aluminum type paddles for the first little while if cost is a serious criterion.

It looks as if the maker of these paddles was familiar with oars but not canoe paddles as the blades have a definite oar shape about them.

Thanks for all the replies and advice,and as luck would have,my bacon has been saved,so to speak,the seller had said he'd be willing to post these.er, um, paddles?? But now he,s changed his mind,