Thread: Go Pro or Similar any suggestions

Default Go Pro or Similar any suggestions

Thinking of a Christmas present (for me clearly) There seems to be a glut of go pro look a likes available are any of them any good ? Does anyone have anything good quality but cheaper than go pro ? Im not against buying a go pro if its the best value for money what are your thoughts and recommendations. Thanks Graham

I've been using an SJCAM M10 for a little over a year and been really happy with it, you can get an idea of the results here (the raw video from the camera is a little better without youtube recoding on it).

It doesn't have quite the dynamic range or the frame rate of the more expensive gopros, but it was a little over 50 quid with three batteries and came with loads of accessories for attaching it to things.

SJCAM have some new models out that I suspect will give all but the top of the line gopros a run for their money, at a fraction of the cost, and the SJ4000 (same inner workings as my M10) is going out of production so there may be some really good deals to be had (do watch out for fake 4000s though).
    The only thing you have to fear is Mergatroid the vengeful, man eating bear.
    (and my youtube channel)

Thanks saarlak I'll check them out Cheers Graham

One thing to consider is whether your PC/Laptop is up to the job of editing video quickly and easily. Mine struggles enormously, one reason I've never spent long taking videos. So don't spend too much without testing it out, or you may find you can't make the most of your new toy as its too frustrating editing the clips!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Thanks Mal I really don't want to spend hours editing however some may be necessary should be ok with Imac that said these files are big. Thanks Graham

MayoBren recently posted details of the Ion Air Pro cameras, seem really good from Bren's video. Can get them with wifi control, so operate from your phone, laptop, whatever or get the dedicated remote. Now they've 3 models ... I succumbed to the Air Pro 2 Wifi ... yet to try it out though ... I like the idea that the camera is waterproof itself and so doesn't need a GoPro style dive suit.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

I have a Mobius camera which I rather like:

http://www.minidvcameras.co.uk/produ...egory/cameras/

which you can get a waterproof case for:

https://www.joovuu.com/gb/cases/103-...roof-case.html

I dare say it's not up to the tech specs of the GoPro, but it's a fraction of the price & the picture quality is good enough for me. I also never really liked the fisheye lens on my ancient GoPro-1

I use one of these..

Joke - JOKE!

The 1940 Leica isn't all that waterproof. I looked at GoPro and clones when I was considering my last kayak camera. I ended up with a Fuji - waterproof to 33 feet and shockproof if dropped on a hard surface up to a height of 5 ft - XP. It will take a rudimentary video and the stills are not too bad at all. Oh, and the battery lasts for ages before it needs a recharge.
    100 when I bought it, probably around now for 80 or so.

It's digital though, so factor in a 5-year life if you're lucky!
    Last edited by davidh; 1st-December-2016 at 04:24 PM.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a universal mount for action cams ... Go-Pros are different to Ion, different to AEE, different to 4000 ...
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Quote Originally Posted by Potty Paddler View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice if there was a universal mount for action cams ... Go-Pros are different to Ion, different to AEE, different to 4000 ...
    The SJcam mounts are compatible with gopro, I've had a couple of third party clips that didn't work perfectly with some bases, but everything else has been fine.
    (and my youtube channel)

ROLLEI Once a excellent camera make, they appear to have vanished with the coming of digital. Then I saw a 'go pro' lookj alike =- with the Rollei badge. But not the once expensive price tags. |This go pro was advertised at around 70. Don't know how it compares with the real GoPro.
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks for the ideas I've been having a look at them all cheers, I think I'm going to plump for the SJ5000

Ill post something up when i try it in the New Year cheers Graham (if Santa Visits)

Quote Originally Posted by David Perry View Post
    ROLLEI Once a excellent camera make, they appear to have vanished with the coming of digital. Then I saw a 'go pro' lookj alike =- with the Rollei badge. But not the once expensive price tags. |This go pro was advertised at around 70. Don't know how it compares with the real GoPro.
    Not so David. You can still buy a Rollei twin lens reflex, new, for some ridiculous price - like 8,000.00 or so
    Word from the kayak angler chaps is that GoPro is still the best action cam around.

Sorry - a bit late to the thread, but I've been using an SJCam this year - and it's been fantastic and captured some cracking footage!

Certainly cheaper than the GoPros - but perfectly adequate for my needs! And it won't break the bank if it accidentally falls off and takes a longer swim.

Quote Originally Posted by batfink View Post
    Sorry - a bit late to the thread, but I've been using an SJCam this year - and it's been fantastic and captured some cracking footage!

Certainly cheaper than the GoPros - but perfectly adequate for my needs! And it won't break the bank if it accidentally falls off and takes a longer swim.
    Great stuff Batfink what model do you have ?

SJ4000 wifi. It's cracking - although the phone app takes some getting used to - but is REALLY handy for checking you're filming what you want to film (even simple things like walk through's or paddle pasts - you can make sure you start out of shot!)

My only regret (if I have one!) is that it doesn't have a remote. You can operate it via the mobile phone (which is great!), but it does drain my phone battery quite quickly. A remote would've made my life complete.

The M20 does that this feature (and is smaller!)... when I have some spare folding queens faces I might purchase and start multiangling my videos!

Thanks for the heads up I'll let you know how I get on cheers Graham

Quote Originally Posted by saarlak View Post
    The SJcam mounts are compatible with gopro, I've had a couple of third party clips that didn't work perfectly with some bases, but everything else has been fine.
    Thanks for that saarlak ... 3rd party go-pro mounts are readily available and really cheap in comparison to the other styles on eBay etc ... should be pretty easy/cheap to knock up an Ion/Go-pro converter ditto an AEE/Go-pro to make different cameras inter-changable on the most readily available style of mount
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

There are some very good clones, I've got one given to me as a christmas present and the video is pretty good if not excellent.

But be aware if you want good audio then check it out before you buy, mine is mono, on or off and is rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    One thing to consider is whether your PC/Laptop is up to the job of editing video quickly and easily. Mine struggles enormously, one reason I've never spent long taking videos. So don't spend too much without testing it out, or you may find you can't make the most of your new toy as its too frustrating editing the clips!
    ^ What he said!

Most computers struggle with large video files, if you can keep the clips to shorter than a couple of minutes whilst filming you would find them much easier to edit and your Pc should cope better
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Most reasonably recent PCs will handle video OK.

To put geeky figures on it, I run a quadcore i5 (second generation), with 4gb ram, which is far from well specced for a modern machine (it's more than 5 years old) and it handles things pretty well. I bought my camera primarily for self coaching and found shooting from the back deck most useful for that (I can judge timing to oncoming water but still see what I'm doing) and with no remote or wifi I leave the camera running a lot, many clips are 20+minutes long and my editor handles them easily without precutting. I had trouble editing my first videos, but most of that was down to using free editing software which was power hungry and a bit rubbish.
    (and my youtube channel)

It won't be the computer in house that will struggle with the editing!
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by saarlak View Post
    I had trouble editing my first videos, but most of that was down to using free editing software which was power hungry and a bit rubbish.
    Which software are you using Saarlak

Quote Originally Posted by mayobren View Post
    Which software are you using Saarlak
    I use sony vegas. but I'm not sure it matters which editor you use, provided it's well coded, it's just a matter of picking one and spending some time getting familiar with it. Vegas is based on an audio editing program that I'd played with in the past so I went with it.
    (and my youtube channel)

Thanks Saarlak

GoPro silver, around 250
    New laptop capable of processing HD footage reasonably quickly 1800

Couldn't see the point of scrimping on the camera when I realised how much I would need to spend on a laptop with the specs I wanted
    Added a GoPro hero in the summer, very good value, few features lost just not as obvious how to get to some. Lots of fun using both cameras and then syncing the time lines and setting up picture in picture
    Oh yeah, also got the smart remote - brilliant, I can attach the cameras well out of reach, set to wifi mode, connect the remote, then turn them off and on from the remote (minimal battery drain checking for a signal from the remote periodically). I think it can control 10 cameras at a time - not just a gimmick!

Now I just need to improve my videography

How hard can it be?

I have just ordered one of these, not sure how good it is, but is is a back up to a GoPro Hero 3, to add a different angle to footage. If it is not up to much, I will give it to one of my kids to play with.

I use Sony Vegas as an editor as well, fairly straight forward & lots of tutorials on You tube.

No affiliation to the company, just came accross it when searching.

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/Photo---V...eid=6aed9ce829

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm liking the Ion Air Pro 2, no outer case, simple to use, sound quality seems good and the video quality on direct playback excellent ... it's not quite so good after being edited with Windows Live Movie Maker and exported to YouTube but ... https://youtu.be/P9qHGbYnv2I
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

I'm liking the Ion Air Pro 2, no outer case, simple to use, sound quality seems good and the video quality on direct playback excellent ... it's not quite so good after being edited with Windows Live Movie Maker and exported to YouTube but ... https://youtu.be/P9qHGbYnv2I
    good job its waterproof

Quote Originally Posted by mayobren View Post
    good job its waterproof
    It is ... and it seems to be far more robust than I am as it's looking like I didn't just bruise that rib

This is waterproof too, has GPS inbuilt, 2x SD card slots, 49-99, anyone have/used one? ... https://uk.ioncamera.com/shop/ion-adventure/

Last edited by Potty Paddler; 6th-January-2017 at 05:52 PM.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

It is ... and it seems to be far more robust than I am as it's looking like I didn't just bruise that rib

This is waterproof too, has GPS inbuilt, 2x SD card slots, 49-99, anyone have/used one? ... https://uk.ioncamera.com/shop/ion-adventure/
    Oops ... that's my Xmas pennies gone, I saw this review an I've bought one ...

DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

A still frame taken from a video recording using the Ion Adventure, I'm impressed, it's as good/better than I'd have done with my waterproof still camera. My 1Hr HD recording came to ~4Gb. To access the GPS tracking data I'm recommended to upload this whole to Kinomap, but with my snail speed supposed broadband I can't really see this being feasible on a regular basis, maybe not even once

DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Looking forward to seeing some video Mike.
    I like the look of the Adventure camera.
    Does it do time lapse? Some reviews say yes others no, perhaps you can confirm?
    Bootstrap
    There's no such thing as inclement weather - you're just incorrectly dressed

Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrap Bob View Post
    Looking forward to seeing some video Mike.
    I like the look of the Adventure camera.
    Does it do time lapse? Some reviews say yes others no, perhaps you can confirm?
    I'll need to crop the video from it's 1Hr duration, does it do time lapse ... I'll check the manual now ... OK "Time Lapse mode takes a series of photos at 5, 10, 30, or 60 secs" ... so yes
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Still learning, the videos taken by the Adventure can be auto rotated if this is selected. Translation ... the orientation is set when you start record. Turning the camera on end to set record and then turning it level while doing a test video made me think "oops" when I played it back.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Video footage, cameras used ...

First Paddling Sequence - Ion Adventure
    Controlled Capsize - Maginon 8Mp handheld waterproof camera
    Later Potty paddling/capsizes - Ion Air Pro2

DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

The Olympus TG4 always gets good reviews so is worth considering as it is very versatile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIK-vCWPaXw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgJcm7DqRcE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0T5Ko_CqdA
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.