Thread: Half decent hybrid bike?

Default Half decent hybrid bike?

I'm looking for a decent( half decent anyway) hybrid bike. I won't be commuting or anything but just want something that's okay on and off road, reasonably light and fairly good quality. I want to fit mudguards and possibly panniers etc.

Budget around 400-500

Any ideas?

Now paddling Either a Gumotex Palava 400 Or a Gumotex Solar Pro 410c and LOVING IT!

I use a Trek hybrid to commute to work 50 miles per week, current bike is three years old and still going strong. Cant remember which model (and too lazy to go to the garage to look)
    I use "proper" full mud guards, they do clog up with mud some what.
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

Steve,
    I can highly recommend Genesis bikes, I have a single speed & a Adventure bike (cyclocross) of there's too.
    Hybrids in INMO are more suited to mainly roadwork, whereas Adventure will easily cope with some off road work.
    Black Friday deals are still available at evans
    "Access all areas, Under the radar"

Probably a good idea to get one which suits your shape - they are not all the same and there is only so much you can adjust. Pop down to a couple of local bike shops and have a chat, you don't need high spec components if you are just bimbling about although based on my experience, it does pay to go above the Halfords/Decathlon basic stuff as you will be forever adjusting bits which go out of alignment/slip. That said, I wouldn't rule out mid/upper range Halfords/Decathlon if its got a decent spec.

I commute 22 miles a day now on a bitsa cyclo cross/touring hybrid I rebuilt from 'one or two steps up from the bottom' Shimano components. After 4 months and around 1500 miles I'm only just starting to see what parts are wearing (apart from me!)
    Last edited by Davy 90; 28th-November-2016 at 08:17 AM.

Have a look at the Boardman mx sport its bang on your budget and as long as it fits you will do all of what .
    I can recommend Genesis bikes also very good, I have two of their bikes and have had no problems with them , but they are a bit more spendy .Look at the vapour cx 10
    The Ridgeback x2 might fit the bill ,just over your budget mind , also can recommend these as I own one of their touring bikes
    Also Saracen Have a look at the Tufftrax range and the Urban Range these might fit your bill , Also own one of their range so can recommend
    But for the money you are talking about there are loads of good bikes out there , have fun looking and get one you are comfy on

I have a Cotic RoadRat I could be willing to part with. Currently it is set up with Flared Drop bars, 18 speed and V pull brakes, Mavic wheels with winter tyres. The Cotic can be set up for pretty much any configuration you like - Disc brakes, single speed, panniers, guards, etc, etc, etc.

From memory I think the frame size is around 54cm - but I can nip out and measure.

I've used it a lot on roads, but also on forestry tracks and some off road use too here in Knoydart.

msg me if you're interested Price is within your budget and would allow for any upgrades etc...

These guys are friendly http://www.cyclechat.net/ (and unusually well behaved)

Thanks very much everyone, I need to make some serious moves towards regaining and maintaining my fitness and thought getting back on a bike and swimming a few times a week would cover it. ( not swimming on the bike by the way)

There's a "Giant" dealer near my work and an Evans too, as well as a few smaller dealers not too far away so I'll see how it goes.

Thanks again

Stevie

Now paddling Either a Gumotex Palava 400 Or a Gumotex Solar Pro 410c and LOVING IT!

If you are near an Evans I have heard good things about the Pinnacle Arkose.

Like this. https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle...-bike-EV244107

Decathlon bikes get some good reviews on "bikeradar"
    I purchased one for the Mrs and its been superb.

Quote Originally Posted by rancid badger View Post
    Thanks very much everyone, I need to make some serious moves towards regaining and maintaining my fitness and thought getting back on a bike and swimming a few times a week would cover it. ( not swimming on the bike by the way)
    I find cycling, especially mountain biking, a very good way to increase fitness and to lose weight. I've lost a stone and half in a year and a half almost purely due to one days mountain biking (2-4 hours) and 2 days cycle commuting (9 miles each way) each week. This has meant I haven't had to give up wine or chips

Quote Originally Posted by rancid badger View Post
    There's a "Giant" dealer near my work and an Evans too, as well as a few smaller dealers not too far away so I'll see how it goes.
    I was killing time in a Giant shop this morning, and was looking at the Rapid range, vaguely thinking about commuting. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb...3/28543/99183/
    Whilst there, the Roam range caught my eye, e.g. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb...c/28550/99207/ or https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb...3/28550/99208/
    These seem to fulfil your needs.

I have a Giant Anthem SX full susser, and am extremely happy with it. I also used to buy Giant bikes for a small chain of bike shops in a long-ago life, and the quality was always top notch for the money. Their factory in Holland was an amazing place, enormous and very high tech. I've also found the staff in both my local Guildford shop, and this one in Shoreham, to be excellent.

I would say that unfortunately I think the poor exchange rate with the dollar/euro is affecting the UK on bikes, so looking for a 2016 model rather than the just-released 2017 ranges might get you better componentry for your money. The bike companies will look to make savings on components, whilst keeping there nominal retail price points as close to the previous as possible, so you might find groupsets and the less obvious shiny bits of a slightly lower spec in the coming year.

I also think the better Decathlon and Boardman models look good. Surprisingly, the Calibre "own brand" range at Go Outdoors have been getting rave reviews on mountain bikes. DOn't remember seeing any hybrids, but you could always put semi-slick tyres on a hard-tail mountain bike and that's not a million miles off the same thing!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    I find cycling, especially mountain biking, a very good way to increase fitness and to lose weight. I've lost a stone and half in a year and a half almost purely due to one days mountain biking (2-4 hours) and 2 days cycle commuting (9 miles each way) each week. This has meant I haven't had to give up wine or chips
    So if you gave up the wine and chips as well, you'd end up looking like No. 18 !!

Don't you realise the trad look for canoeists is overweight, bearded and middle aged?

Letting the side down.

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

Don't you realise the trad look for canoeists is overweight, bearded and middle aged?
    Mal had the dubious pleasure of our bickering family company last weekend, I can confirm he's a shadow of his former self - positively svelte

Quote Originally Posted by Davy 90 View Post
    Mal had the dubious pleasure of our bickering family company last weekend, I can confirm he's a shadow of his former self - positively svelte
    Hah. Christmas should sort that out...
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Went with a Giant Escape XS. Well within budget, light,fast and appears to be quite good quality too.