Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Camp, Paddle, Sail Poole Harbour April 2017?

The waters are quite safe, just watch the wind and the tides

There is a zoomable chart you can study here, an excerpt of which is below:

The key thing you will note is that you want about 1.3m of water to avoid trudging through the mud at Cleavel Point, nearer 1.9m if you wish to make it into Newton Bay - the ground at the tip of the point is much less muddy!

The tides can be found here, just change the Daylight Saving to 1 hour and the Max. Graph size to one day, then press 'Apply' - this is set to Cleavel Point.

If you are wanting to head to Wareham on Friday night, use this tidal info for when you're at Wareham Quay - give or take, Wareham is about an hour behind Cleavel Point and will take approximately 2.5-3 hours to paddle back from.

OK. Read through all the threads........Cleavel camp site............primitive if a portaloo has to be hired, but what IS the code to get into this des. res.?!

I'll send you a PM with the code Helen

Quote Originally Posted by Helen B View Post
    OK. Read through all the threads........Cleavel camp site............primitive if a portaloo has to be hired, but what IS the code to get into this des. res.?!

Easiest description for finding the field I can think of:

Head for postcode BH20 5JH and keep driving until you get to the gate - once through keep driving straight until you reach the gated oil refinery, turn right, then around a right bend, then turn left up toward a farm gate - go through the gate and take a right fork at the end of the first field - follow this and you will end up in the right field

Adrian, thanks for all the useful information - next year we will be sure to avoid your wife's birthday

Helen I have sent you last years gate code if it changes I will send an update to all,

uncle albert, I believe that some local sea kayakers will be there, the harbour is pretty safe (the only things likely to be hurt is pride if you get stuck in the mud) - the weather and tide look to be pretty much as last year, we can all have a chat on Friday to see what people want to do.

I will stick some 'SOTP' signs up to help peeps find the field.

if anyone wants to come at the last minuet don't be put off by the code and directions, if you go to the site office, http://www.burnbake.com/ tell them you are with our group and they should give you the gate code and directions.

cheers

I have confirmed with the site that the gate code is the same as last year, I will send messages soon.

Helen, apologies for the primitive facilities at the field, however (should have mentioned this sooner) the facilities at the main site - "include a small but well stocked shop on site, a toilet/shower block, an extra shower block, washing up sinks, baby changing & wash room, laundry room, chemical disposal point" is available to all - we would just have to drive to it, >5 mins.

Apologies, just had a short-notice job given to me which takes priority over joining you this weekend sadly. Have a great weekend and hopefully see you on the water soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shall be bringing the lunar lander firebox for us to sit around and some firewood ,but more is always acceptable.
    Many thanks in advance, Ted (woodworm)

Quote Originally Posted by woodworm View Post
    I shall be bringing the lunar lander firebox for us to sit around and some firewood ,but more is always acceptable.
    Many thanks in advance, Ted (woodworm)
    Did I read the back in the thread that the owners did not approve of the scorched grass under the lunar Lander. If so I have just spotted 2 x lightweight thermalite blocks (the long ones) that I could bring to stand said Lander on and with the firebiard that would insulate a bit more.

Hi Uncle, having reread the relevant section the owners were upset their grass was burnt by others, but according to Steve they accepted not by us, but you know me I dare not blot my copybook again, so by all means bring what ever you feel will preserve the peace.

RegardsTed

2 thermalite blocks - borrowed from Sea Cadets and some bags of logs - branded - 'ye olde shedde' loaded into the paddle-wagon, see you all tomorrow.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Albert View Post
    2 thermalite blocks - borrowed from Sea Cadets and some bags of logs - branded - 'ye olde shedde' loaded into the paddle-wagon, see you all tomorrow.

Dave
    But the lander has 3 legs!

Latest wind forecasts like fantastic for you guys!

Check here

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Sirus View Post
    So does the emblem on the Isle of Man Flag....

Quote Originally Posted by Sirus View Post
    I can bring another block.
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Albert View Post
    So does the emblem on the Isle of Man Flag....
    So did Jake the peg and look what happened to him

Hopefully see you all Sunday morning(early)

Sent from my GT-I9301I using Tapatalk

Hope you all have a great weekend and sorry I can't be there but still in post-op recovery.

Another in post op recovery, will have to content myself with fitting the new seats and yolk to my Orca Mayfly ready for its first outing when I can drive again. Hopefully next year though as Poole Harbour is one of my favourite bits of water.

It was a very pleasant surprise to meet a few Marauders whilst walking around Durleston Park yesterday - hope you all get some spectacular paddles in!

We did Adrian - it was an awesome weekend for paddling in the harbour. Hardly any wind at all (which upset the sailors)
    And sunshine on both Sat and Sun.

Many thanks Steve,Awesome weekend ,sightseeing , paddling and exc ellent company, restored my joy in
    Marauders meets.

Has anyone decided to stay on for another night - I could be around for a paddle tomorrow, but the tide suggests it would need to be a midday - late afternoon one?

Top weekend Steve! great fun

a few photos from the beach...

And lastly, Kennan (Kmac) modelling this years look for the Gentleman Paddler.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good..."

Firstly, apologies to those who i never got to speak to and introduce ourselves. We came down for the Sunday and were a bit keen to 'get going' (first time out this year).
    Our intention was to return and have a paddle with you all, but once we got to Green Island, Brownsea Island didn't seem to far away so considering condition, tides etc we decided to carry on.
    It took abit longer than expected and by the time we got back most had packed up and gone.
    We had a great paddle in what turned out to be fantastic conditions. Hardly a breeze and sunny skies.
    Here are a few of the photos i took. We look forward to doing this again....next time i hope to stay the weekend.
    Thanks to Steve and Adrian. (Also thanks to griz for loan of his trolley.....i was truely knackered after pulling canoe and wife though mud :0)

Last edited by wurly; 23rd-April-2017 at 08:17 PM.

I was last to leave at 3pm this afternoon Adrian.........Sorry mate, we missed you !!

What a fantastic weekend. Great weather, great location and great people! Many thanks to Steve for organising the event and ensuring we had such fine weather too. It was great to see people from last year and meet new people too. Thank you to Geoff and Steve for their invaluable advice about canoe sailing. Paul realised his life ambition, to canoe sail under the Durdle Door Arch, with a warm up sail through Bat's Hole at Bat's Head. A simply idyllic weekend.
    Thank you every one

Yeah agreed a highly enjoyable weekend. Thanks to Steve for sorting out the venue and the weather.

Great to see some of you on Saturday, I should've packed my hammock still it was a great ride down and back home and just shy of 250 miles too.

Brilliant weekend. Thank you Steve for organising it. Perfect paddling, beautiful scenery and great company. Looking forward to the next get together.
    Sheila

Yes, it was a great weekend.Thanks again, Steve. The trip from Lolworth Cove was brilliant- only possible because the wind was so light. Missing the campsite already and looking forward to our next visit. I will bring my kayak next time. We could try to paddle the coast from Kimmeridge if the weather is good again?

Paul

A few photos from the weekend up on Facebook.
    GR!Z photos Facebook

Cracking photos Gr!z, and good to meet you on Saturday.

Apologies for the delayed response/report – have been wrestling with photobucket ( it refused to acknowledge I had an account, after stealing the photos, and then seemed to be upset with facebook? – anyone else or just me? – had to result to repeated phone calls, that I hope via skype won’t have cost me a fortune, Grrrr…some photos are still being recovered….)
    Anyway, thank you all that came – 16 of us, a total of 29 day/nights of canoe/camping were accumulated- a good thing.
    As the weather was nice the week before I arrived a bit early and set up camp quickly by reversing the box into the trees, turning it round opening the doors and getting a chair out.

the two canoes on the roof afforded an opportunity to appreciate the differences in profile (prospector/pack)

got the prospector ready for sailing but there was no wind so went for a paddle in the pack

it was like a millpond and deathly quiet – lovely evening for a paddle

it was getting a bit dark so headed back to camp and had pizza for dinner using a little charcoal oven, a first time camping experience for me – nice, did Cajun spiced chicken legs in it the next night, very nice (too busy stuffing the juicy crispy loveliness in my face to take picks) I was a bit sceptical but it worked well

the next day the weather was good for paddling bad for sailing, so off round the harbour in the pack – lovely day

as I was own (and didn’t want to get blown out the harbour) I put a small outboard on the pack just in case, didn’t need it but its nice to know the boat will take it.

the next day peeps turned up, er with some clouds and a bit of wind

we headed out that evening in the general direction of pool quay with the goal being beer and chips, unfortunately both tides, and wind, overcame abilities and after considering progress and remaining light this is some of us on the return to the camp site, I expect someone with more knowledge would have cautioned against the effort but we could see the lights, it didn’t look that far?

and this unfortunately is where my picture run out until photobucket finds the rest.?
    thanks again to all that came- it was good to see both old and new faces and the picks from your trips

Some really nice pics there Steve.

Lovely first evening pictures Steve.

Bit puzzled by this one though, why are there a bunch of empty canoes sat floating in the middle of nowhere?!

Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Mel, those canoes belong to the big canoe company, they sit about 18 people each . they were not there when I went out, they were high up on the beach, but some time while I was paddling around and the tide came in the activity centre moved them out to a swing mooring ready for the morning (I don't thing it would have been possible to move them over the mud if the tide is out - they must weigh 1/4 tonne+) got woken early on Friday morning by a noisy badly dressed hoard of cooperate in need of team building types that got ferried out to them for a good day being shouted at - they weren't so loud or clean when they returned...

So where did you get the neat spray deck for the Pack?
    Last edited by flat cap Andy; 8th-May-2017 at 10:58 PM.
    '...you can led a horse to water but a pencil must be lead...' Stan Laurel

Quote Originally Posted by flat cap Andy View Post
    So where did you get the neat spray deck for the Pack?
    Andy, the spray deck is another home made item, I did take some picks with the intention of a making it thread, but these picks are lost in photobucket with the rest?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sit and Relax View Post
    Mel, those canoes belong to the big canoe company, they sit about 18 people each . they were not there when I went out, they were high up on the beach, but some time while I was paddling around and the tide came in the activity centre moved them out to a swing mooring ready for the morning (I don't thing it would have been possible to move them over the mud if the tide is out - they must weigh 1/4 tonne+) got woken early on Friday morning by a noisy badly dressed hoard of cooperate in need of team building types that got ferried out to them for a good day being shouted at - they weren't so loud or clean when they returned...
    Ah interesting, explains the slightly weird perspective I thought I was seeing in the photo! Thanks mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sit and Relax View Post
    Andy, the spray deck is another home made item, I did take some picks with the intention of a making it thread, but these picks are lost in photobucket with the rest?
    It looks very professional. Is the material canvas or something more modern.....quick edit: Actually I have just seen your spray deck thread, you must have found those photobucket pics...
    Last edited by flat cap Andy; 11th-May-2017 at 06:38 AM.
    '...you can led a horse to water but a pencil must be lead...' Stan Laurel

"Is the material canvas or something more modern" is something called 'Cordura' its a sort of synthetic canvas that should not apparently rot, it is the same sort of stuff most PFD are covered in (and is was the closest match I could find to the boat colour) - err yes my pictures seem to have returned (2 copies of most of them?) but now photobucket is more unusable than ever with the constant popup ads (ad blocker just stops the whole site working).

what is the other photo host we can use?

what is the other photo host we can use?[/QUOTE]

Flickr works ok Steve.....

Dave

44. Default

A bit late, but thanks for arranging this Steve! Great you meet you guys also.

For photos, Flickr is great, or even Google Photos. Google photos is also great due to the fact that you can have a free account, an app on your phone and it can automatically backup your photos when you are connected to wifi and charging your phone, so you don't need to worry about losing photos. And then you simply make an album and share it so others can see it!

I will get around to uploading any of the few photos I took, and also the drone footage I took on the Sunday. I didn't film much with the drone though, but feel free to take a look once I upload it.

"Is the material canvas or something more modern" is something called 'Cordura' its a sort of synthetic canvas that should not apparently rot, it is the same sort of stuff most PFD are covered in (and is was the closest match I could find to the boat colour) - err yes my pictures seem to have returned (2 copies of most of them?) but now photobucket is more unusable than ever with the constant popup ads (ad blocker just stops the whole site working).

what is the other photo host we can use?
    I'd go with Flickr, folk who use Google Photos seem to find stuff disappears at times. As you say, photobucketofpoo is a nightmare now.

Cordura is a woven nylon fabric commonly used by rucksack manufacturers and the like, comes in different weights, e.g. 600denier, 1000denier.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123