Thread: River tamar

Default River tamar

Quick question to someone out there that may have done it. I'm contemplating having a go at paddling the entire length of the tamar at least as much of it as possible from source over a period of how ever long it takes me just wondering if anyone know about the upper reaches, obstacles and portages fences etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ripvanwinkle; 12th-November-2016 at 09:34 PM.

Never done it, so not much help really. I stayed in Lydford earlier this year and did wonder about finding out more about the Tamar and revisiting with a canoe.
    These might be of some little use to you, but they don't anywhere near cover the whole length that you mention.
    http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/r...-to-gunnislake
    http://www.paddlepoints.net/Water.as...=1&WaterId=116

Judging by what the first site says about weirs etc, it would probably be prudent not to do it on your own.

Let us know what you find out
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    Never done it, so not much help really. I stayed in Lydford earlier this year and did wonder about finding out more about the Tamar and revisiting with a canoe.
    These might be of some little use to you, but they don't anywhere near cover the whole length that you mention.
    http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/r...-to-gunnislake
    http://www.paddlepoints.net/Water.as...=1&WaterId=116

Judging by what the first site says about weirs etc, it would probably be prudent not to do it on your own.

Let us know what you find out
    Thanks old man, every time I drive from cornwall to Devon or from Devon to cornwall the divide of the two county's is where the tamar goes under the A30, I always peers over and look down to the river and it always looks paddleable, mind you that's the only section I can see, so I've followed it on google maps and it nearly ends up in bude, reckon it would be a great little adventure with someone else to wild camp to saltash over 3 days or so. I'll let you know what I find

Regards Rip

Mr Vanwinkle, I too have looked questioningly at the Tamar from the A30 and numerous other bridges on my regular trips to Cornwall and back (I also think that the Parrot and king Sedgemoor drain could do with a good paddling - bit further up country)

ive paddled from Bude - both cannal and river and didn't get very far - ran out of water (it was middle of summer) and it all got a bit narrow and overgrown - cant quite see how the Neet/Strat? (from bude) would meet up with the Tamar one is running south to north the other north to south = different sides of the hill? I cant say I know the lay of the land apart from saying that inland from Bude there are some hills.(might make an interesting portage!). i have found, to my continued disappointment, that just because there is a wiggly blue line on a map water is not always found to be present? I did once (years ago, before sat nav) look for the Tamar where it was shown on the map to passed under the A3072 (near Tarmarstone - there was a camp site there once) but couldn't find it , but I freely admit I could have been in the wrong place.

If you put together your ideas I would be interested in what you find out, it may be better with 2 or 3 may be 4 persons ,boats, cars, shuttles - I expect that the endeavour would involve certain amount of bushwacking, weir negotiation, lining through shallows and possible trespass - south of Launceston I think it will open up, its the upper reached that look to be the major difficulty - locals may be able to offer some advice?
    when were you thing of giving it a go?
    cheers
    steve

I also think that the Parrot and king Sedgemoor drain could do with a good paddling - bit further up country)
    Whilst I haven't paddled it much, the non tidal/upper reaches of the Parrett are very pleasant. If you want more info, contact Nikjo on here, she's paddled it more than me as she lived in that area.
    With regard to the Sedgemoor drain, that is under the control of the EA who will tell you, should you care to ask , that paddling isn't allowed. It's actually quite a pleasant place to paddle (unless there's fishing matches happening) except when it's windy, because it's very straight and there's nowhere to hide.
    Also, beware of paddling it after heavy rain. The EA will open sluice gates to let excess water out into the Parrett and the current can get very strong.
    There's also the possibility of getting onto the river Cary which feeds into the Sedgemoor Drain. If you want more info anytime, let me know.

There's a couple of others down this way that you'll have passed over, but didn't mention. One is the river Brue, and the second is the Huntspill river.
    Again, if you want more info, let me know.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sit and Relax View Post
    Mr Vanwinkle, I too have looked questioningly at the Tamar from the A30 and numerous other bridges on my regular trips to Cornwall and back (I also think that the Parrot and king Sedgemoor drain could do with a good paddling - bit further up country)

ive paddled from Bude - both cannal and river and didn't get very far - ran out of water (it was middle of summer) and it all got a bit narrow and overgrown - cant quite see how the Neet/Strat? (from bude) would meet up with the Tamar one is running south to north the other north to south = different sides of the hill? I cant say I know the lay of the land apart from saying that inland from Bude there are some hills.(might make an interesting portage!). i have found, to my continued disappointment, that just because there is a wiggly blue line on a map water is not always found to be present? I did once (years ago, before sat nav) look for the Tamar where it was shown on the map to passed under the A3072 (near Tarmarstone - there was a camp site there once) but couldn't find it , but I freely admit I could have been in the wrong place.

If you put together your ideas I would be interested in what you find out, it may be better with 2 or 3 may be 4 persons ,boats, cars, shuttles - I expect that the endeavour would involve certain amount of bushwacking, weir negotiation, lining through shallows and possible trespass - south of Launceston I think it will open up, its the upper reached that look to be the major difficulty - locals may be able to offer some advice?
    when were you thing of giving it a go?
    cheers
    steve
    Hey Steve thanks for the input I guess give it a go anytime when conditions are favourable if you fancy it could make a plan I'll ask about for more info and let you know also up for any of the others that old man mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    Whilst I haven't paddled it much, the non tidal/upper reaches of the Parrett are very pleasant. If you want more info, contact Nikjo on here, she's paddled it more than me as she lived in that area.
    With regard to the Sedgemoor drain, that is under the control of the EA who will tell you, should you care to ask , that paddling isn't allowed. It's actually quite a pleasant place to paddle (unless there's fishing matches happening) except when it's windy, because it's very straight and there's nowhere to hide.
    Also, beware of paddling it after heavy rain. The EA will open sluice gates to let excess water out into the Parrett and the current can get very strong.
    There's also the possibility of getting onto the river Cary which feeds into the Sedgemoor Drain. If you want more info anytime, let me know.

There's a couple of others down this way that you'll have passed over, but didn't mention. One is the river Brue, and the second is the Huntspill river.
    Again, if you want more info, let me know.
    I've always wondered about these rivers / drains on the Somerset levels, they do look very scenic when you pass by on the m5 recon wind could be a bit of a problem like you say one day definitely give the area a go