Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。

Default Channel Crossing on Inflatable Kayak

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

Don't get any ideas now...
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Does the inflatabubble actually have to be afloat on the sea or could it be on the deck of a cross-channel ferry? Either way, you could accurately claim to have crossed the English Channel in an inflatabubble kayak!
    Juvanile delinkwit, vaguely faffing around with a pair of pliers. Du skal ikke tro at du er bedre end mig!

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Don't get any ideas now...

Don't worry, I'm not going to flee the country and seek asylum across the Channel. Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhopper View Post
    Does the inflatabubble actually have to be afloat on the sea or could it be on the deck of a cross-channel ferry? Either way, you could accurately claim to have crossed the English Channel in an inflatabubble kayak!
    If that were the case, then I could claim legitimately to have circumnavigated the globe in my packraft.

Maybe I will.

Crow Trip Log

I'm really disappointed

i read the title, saw "Crow" and thought it was another blog of one of your mad ars#%d schemes ... then had to read a newspaper instead. Must remember to look at the category of post to avoid disappointment in future

The other bloke is barking too .... but clearly desperate.
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    I don't think the "Desperate" term is quite right, once he got to Europe he was safe, it then becomes a personal or an economic choice to cross to the UK. This makes his trip even harder to comprehend, but I am sure there will be many more trying to cross in the years to come considering all the troubles around the world.
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudman View Post
    I don't think the "Desperate" term is quite right, once he got to Europe he was safe, it then becomes a personal or an economic choice to cross to the UK. This makes his trip even harder to comprehend, but I am sure there will be many more trying to cross in the years to come considering all the troubles around the world.
    I didn't comment to introduce politics to the forum and I really don't think I did. I simply said he was either mad or desperate to attempt such a thing ... having also taken the obligatory Mick and expressed ironic admiration for Gordon's escapades.
    MarkL

I didn't comment to introduce politics to the forum and I really don't think I did. I simply said he was either mad or desperate to attempt such a thing ... having also taken the obligatory Mick and expressed ironic admiration for Gordon's escapades.
    Sorry I didn't intend to make it political either, I just thought if someone was escaping from danger it was understandable to take this sort of risk but to do it just because he wanted to get into the UK made little sense.

i think it is an incredibly naive government view that our shores are safe, especially when rescue does part of the job for migrants. (this episode, and a rescued party in a RIB have made the headlines) I'm sure that ribs and inflatable "canoes" have been making the trip for ages, unseen and unreported. Despite the claims that the Channel is very busy and tightly monitored, the fact that quite sizeable yachts don't show on radar, and that there are innumerable beaches on which to land show this to be nonsense. It does help to explain why so many more NI numbers have been issued that we are supposed to have received immigrants.
    I have a Level 2 powerboat cert, and am a Yachtmaster, and I think it would be easy peasy. The greatest problem is sufficient fuel for the return journey.

... just because he wanted to get into the UK made little sense ..
    clearly it made sense to him.
    MarkL

I'm really disappointed

i read the title, saw "Crow" and thought it was another blog of one of your mad ars#%d schemes ... then had to read a newspaper instead. Must remember to look at the category of post to avoid disappointment in future

Section is key, Mark.

And my schemes always make sense at the time.

Crow Trip Log

Anyway, aside from the political aspects of this story, which I'd be happy to discuss, but probably not on here....

I do think it's quite a feat to cross the Channel in an inflatable kayak in November, or at any time.

Crow Trip Log

I think it might be considered brave, or foolhardy, but he was rescued 8 miles short from, say, 22, so 14 miles. He was in something unsinkable, easily righted from capsize,. I don't know what he was wearing, but wet suits are very cheap in petrol stations and Decathlon. I don't know which way the wind was blowing, but he probable had the sense to wait for a following wind. We have so few patrol boats, having sent one to Antarctica and one to the Med he only need to have been lucky enough to miss the french and meet the brits.
    I bet he is not the only one, any more than the two guys prosecuted over their rib trip were the only ones.

The details of his craft and equipment have not been reported. (They never are in these news stories, which is frustrating to folk like us). We don't even know if he had a PFD.

Given what you see of people in the Med or the Aegean, it is quite likely he wasn't well equipped at all.

Inflatables, while more stable, are not unsinkable, and are much slower than rigid kayaks. Not what I would use to cross the Channel. In fact I wouldn't do it at all!

He may well not be the first, and won't be the last. Unknown others may have died in the attempt too.

Crow Trip Log

It is off course possible that a boat from France dropped him off in the position he was found, made a call claiming to have spotted him from a ferry then either returned to France or docked in the UK. The immigrant will just claim his life was in danger to be accepted, the chances of him being sent back are negligible.

If that was the case, then why not drop him closer to the shore, or even on the shore?

We'll probably never know the full details of this story.

If he is seeking asylum, the rules are quite tough and he has a difficult process ahead of him. The chances of being given asylum vs. being sent back will depend on his specific circumstances. His life being in danger on the sea doesn't come into it, his life being in danger in his country of origin would. (I have some experience in this area.)

Crow Trip Log

I did mean his life in danger in his country of origin. As you say we will never know but I assume the closer to shore the greater chance of discovery, in the Med they only give them enough fuel to get them off shore so the immigrants safety is way down on the priority list.

In an interesting side note, I have just been reading about George Gamow, the Ukrainian physicist and early proponent of the Big Bang Theory.

He tried twice to escape from Stalin's Soviet Union in the 1930s, by kayak.

"His posthumously published autobiography, My World Line, contains vivid accounts of some of his attempts to escape from the Soviet Union. In what he describes as the "Crimean campaign" of 1932, he and his new wife-Lyubov Vokhminzeva, nicknamed Rho-tried to cross the Black Sea to Turkey. Gamow had put the distance at about 170 miles. The voyage was to be made in a small kayak equipped only with paddles and provided with little more than eggs, chocolate, strawberries, and two bottles of good brandy.
    "The first day was a complete success..." he writes. "I'll never forget the sight of a porpoise seen through a wave illuminated by the sun sinking below the horizon." In less than 36 hours, however, the weather turned: "The force of the wind pressing against my chest was moving the boat backward, stem first."
    The intrepid but exhausted pair had to return to shore. After a couple of days in a hospital, Gamow managed to persuade Soviet authorities that the unexpectedly inclement conditions had supervened to spoil the boat's sea trials!"

His second attempt was to paddle from Murmansk to Norway but that was also foiled by poor weather.

He eventually managed to escape after wangling a trip to a scientific conference in Brussels.

Crow Trip Log

Todays Daily Express, a paper I don't usually see, has an article drawing attention to the inflatable across the channel problem, about 2 years after anyone with a bit of knowlegde would have seen that it was a possibility.