Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Confusing!

RE. Registration of land covered by water
    Thanks, Pam, I didn't know that. Would that mean that the river bed could have no recorded owner, or might it always belong to one bank or the other, but nobody knows which?

I read it as the first case, but it seems to be open to interpretation...

I took it to mean that where a river demarcates the boundary between two landowners the middle of the the river may often, but not necessarily, be the actual boundary. Therefore I'm inclined to assume the latter with middle presumed in case of doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I read about the evils of drinking I gave up reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Starr View Post
    I took it to mean that where a river demarcates the boundary between two landowners the middle of the the river may often, but not necessarily, be the actual boundary. Therefore I'm inclined to assume the latter with middle presumed in case of doubt.
    I'm not sure why you make that assumption based on the letter from the Land Registry which Pam posted (I have seen this before).

The logic which the Land Registry are using is that the river marks the edge of the premise unless they know otherwise. In case of doubt, you would assume the bank not the middle.

Agreed. I got carried away with the previous paragraph.

A bit OT but...

having grown up with the original Star Wars films I'm uncomfortably reminded of the sandy sphincter in the desert... No relation I presume??? :O
    I used to exercise a lot, cycling to work, cycling, canoeing and climbing all day at work, with the gym at lunch time, cycling home, then watch TV while cycling on a turbo trainer. My calorie intake was shocking, I used to just open my mouth and pour food in every chance I got, when it came to thinking of a forum name, it sprang to mind. My calorie intake is still much the same, but I've given up the exercise and taken up expanding, so maybe I should change it to Jabba.

I've been called far worse than a sandy sphincter, and been told to go far worse places than the desert, so I'm marking that one down as a compliment!
    The only thing you have to fear is Mergatroid the vengeful, man eating bear.

Quote Originally Posted by saarlak View Post
    I've been called far worse than a sandy sphincter, and been told to go far worse places than the desert, so I'm marking that one down as a compliment!
    Quite right too! For the record, I was not calling you a sandy sphincter!

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

Quite right too! For the record, I was not calling you a sandy sphincter!

Wasn't he a golfer?

"I stepped up on the platform. The man gave me the news. He said - you must be joking, son, where did you get those shoes?"

Crow Trip Log

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Wasn't he a golfer?

A Gopher!?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
    Off topic, but I like the story, from many years ago, from the time when Lt C Wales was on an Army exercise on Dartmoor. It was raining hard, and water was rising around the tent. The Captain instructed Lt Wales to dig a ditch round the tent. His response was that it was illegal to dig such a ditch, Sir, without the permission of the Duke of Cornwall. Apparently he then gave himself permission and dug it.
    A funny story, but unlikely given that he was in the Air Force and then Navy.

As Doug says, nothing will come about properly until a lot of people take action, or talk to their MPs. MPs generally only respond to what the constituents who speak loudest say. If all MPs had a load of people (not just one or two) going to their surgeries and talking about the access issues, then maybe something would be done about it. Unfortunately now we have all this rubbish with Brexit, which is going to be occupying our Government, probably followed shortly by WW3. Although if the latter happens, there will be plenty of countryside (albeit heavily irradiated and rather charred) to go around for those who survive.

Hi guys/Pam,

David here from the Wye. Long time since I last tapped in. Nothing much has changed on the Wye as regards paddling and anglers. My (angling) club is pretty happy generally about paddlers on "our" water, but there are stirrings further downstream, where the stag parties have been making a nuisance of themselves - usual stuff - drunken behaviour, abuse, landing and rampaging (but not rape and pillage, yet).

The VAAs have been, predictably, a waste of time for everyone apart from WUF who made some dosh out of them.

I'm still paddling - we now have three boats in the collection, and since I'm also Chairman of the fishing club I am in a good position to put the committee right about paddling if anyone grumbles, but to be fair the grumbles are few and far between.

I'll write about our (me and the missus) paddling exploits elsewhere.

If anyone from the club based at Symonds Yat is reading this it was me who found the membership cards and handed them to another paddler in the carpark several weeks ago. I hope they arrived with the owners safely.

Cheers,

David

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    Hi guys/Pam,

David here from the Wye. Long time since I last tapped in. Nothing much has changed on the Wye as regards paddling and anglers. My (angling) club is pretty happy generally about paddlers on "our" water, but there are stirrings further downstream, where the stag parties have been making a nuisance of themselves - usual stuff - drunken behaviour, abuse, landing and rampaging (but not rape and pillage, yet).
    David
    Nice to here from you again David, I hope you are well.

That is one thing that both sides I think can agree on (Stagg parties are a real Pain in the A***) be it on the river or in the town centers at the weekend, and the Hens aren't much better!!
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.

Hi Cloudman,

I hope you are well too!

Yeah - the stags and hens don't affect us much up here thankfully.

Hi davidh.
    I'm quite new here so seems a bit strange to welcome an old hand but welcome, anyhow
    I read stories and hear stories of paddling the Wye so subsequently it features quite highly on my things/rivers to do/paddle. I hope one day to get to your part of the world and we may even share the river together at some point.
    Tight lines and happy paddling.

Thank you, and you'll be very welcome to paddle up here .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12