Thread: Lost a fiver

Default Lost a fiver

Was wondering if anyone has any tales of woe on the new indestructible five pound note, granted it's waterproof but...

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

It's not suitable for vegetarians.

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    It's not suitable for vegetarians.
    No 5 notes are, they gain animal fats through repeatedly changing hands
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

I haven't had one of the ones with a valuable number on it that I could sell for 10k

Quote Originally Posted by aannddyyhh View Post
    I haven't had one of the ones with a valuable number on it that I could sell for 10k

Don't know if it's an urban myth but was told one was on e bay without a reserve and went for 2.45 !

Quote Originally Posted by Whitenoise View Post
    Don't know if it's an urban myth but was told one was on e bay without a reserve and went for 2.45 !
    ... maybe the postage was set at 10 though.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Quote Originally Posted by Whitenoise View Post
    like I said,10k after the ebay commission

I did see this in the news today though:

5 notes 'worth 20,000' in circulation

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-38223552

Quote Originally Posted by aannddyyhh View Post
    I did see this in the news today though:

5 notes 'worth 20,000' in circulation
    Wow ... that makes a total of only 4,000 notes ... no wonder they are so caked in animal fats (aka grease from sticky fingers) if they are working that hard.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

I spoke to a bar maid last night and she said they were a nuisance because they don't lie flat after having been crumpled in someone's pocket, so when they go into the till they can push the other notes up. She still took the one for my pint though.
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudman View Post
    I spoke to a bar maid last night and she said they were a nuisance because they don't lie flat after having been crumpled in someone's pocket, so when they go into the till they can push the other notes up. She still took the one for my pint though.
    These smaller notes have already had an effect in devaluing our currency ... it's now a fiver a pint
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Quote Originally Posted by Potty Paddler View Post
    These smaller notes have already had an effect in devaluing our currency ... it's now a fiver a pint

Thank your lucky stars it's still a pint tho.

Come on Mike do you really think I would pay 5 a pint, I got 1.80 change. The Marsden's bitter at the White Lion in Barthomley is so nice I would pay 5 but don't tell them that.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudman View Post
    Come on Mike do you really think I would pay 5 a pint, I got 1.80 change. The Marsden's bitter at the White Lion in Barthomley is so nice I would pay 5 but don't tell them that.
    Phew
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

I've seen one there is no chance to destoy them by hand. They looks exactly the same and when you touch them its like paper mixed with plastic, but I have one pound note and its waterproof( keep it for 2 hours in glass of water). You can go to your local Bank and ask them about that. I've been told in my local bank that all those new money will be changed in few years time. will be hard to make fake one as well so its better.

They're a pain in the axxe, well the fingers actually! They have horrible hard, sharp corners and edges which have a tendency to go under finger nails or dig in to flesh when trying to stuff them into your pocket after you've grabbed them off the securicor (showing my age there a bit methinks?) delivery chappie at the supermarket.

No seriously, they really are unpleasant little things but I suppose Ideal for anyone carrying spare cash while taking part in water based activities, just stuff a few in your pocket ( taking heed of the aforementioned sharp edges etc) and away you go.

Actually, I've changed my mind now, I think they're brilliant.

Steve

Now paddling Either a Gumotex Palava 400 Or a Gumotex Solar Pro 410c and LOVING IT!

I like them.

They are a bit slippery and if folded in two with others thee middle ones can be squeezed out from the middle - or so I've been told.

We;ve found a couple on our beech where the tide has washed them up. I guess people drop them on the beach and the tide washes them into gathering spots. The old paper ones simply got shredded to pulp.
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

Don't leave them somewhwere hot. They shrink.

A mate of mine has one the size of a credit card.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

We've had this plastic money for some time now - it pretty much sucks. You need to be very careful how many of them you are handing to a cashier - they stick together. When you get a stack of them from a bank machine, they are hard to separate when you go to use them. Also, word to the wise - don't put them in the clothes drier by accident, or leave them on your car's dashboard on a hot day - they melt.

About two months ago, on a hot and sticky day, I had 40.00 in new fivers in my pocket. Went to Homebase and Screwfix, then half an hour later realised there was no money in my pocket. The fivers had obviously got 'stuck' to my car keys and had liberated themselves. I was going to write the money off, but went back to Homebase, where there was an envelope waiting for me with 30.00 in it. Always one to look on the positive side, I've never felt better after losing a tenner.
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Feet View Post
    About two months ago, on a hot and sticky day, I had 40.00 in new fivers in my pocket. Went to Homebase and Screwfix, then half an hour later realised there was no money in my pocket. The fivers had obviously got 'stuck' to my car keys and had liberated themselves. I was going to write the money off, but went back to Homebase, where there was an envelope waiting for me with 30.00 in it. Always one to look on the positive side, I've never felt better after losing a tenner.
    I was queuing to go into the Macro cash & carry last year and the chap in front pulled out his membership card to check in, in doing so he dropped at least 500 in 20's onto the floor and walked on. I picked them up and asked him if he didn't want these anymore, he just took them off me and grunted, not even an odd one as a thank you!!

I like them. BUT, because they are plastic they appear to be able to straighten themselfs out - even in your pocket. I've definitely had one or two come out of my pocket without my permission ;-)
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

you must be down South if you paying a fiver a pint or
    in a wine bar
    in which case you were still down south

Quote Originally Posted by BennyGesserit View Post
    you must be down South if you paying a fiver a pint or
    in a wine bar
    in which case you were still down south
    Not my pint and on clarification it proved to be a fiver for a pint plus change so not a Southern pint either
    My last pint was of Thistly Cross Whisky Cask Cider for 3.80p
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Quote Originally Posted by Boatieboi599 View Post
    watched a ridiculous interview on This Morning with a vegan arguing to have them ceased
    Another slow news day .....
    You don't stop playing because you get old - you get old because you stop playing.