Thread: Winter sleeping

Default Winter sleeping

So last year I camped in winter in a bag borrowed from a friend.

Woke up to this one morning

I realised 2 things.
    1. I don't like my arms in a sleeping bag.
    2. I don't really like being enclosed in a bag but certainly don't like liners.

I'm an xl sort of guy. Any advice on solutions or bags to look at? Don't want to spend the earth but want something that'll pack down small to go in Canoes/ kayaks. Used an alpkit pipedream last year for reference.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Your mate may not have been XL which is why you feel restricted. You can buy larger bags.
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

You could use a duvet. If you want a 'system' or just ideas/confirmation, look on the Thermarest or backpackinglight websites. There's no reason why a duvet should be any bulkier/heavier than a sleeping bag, particularly if made from similar materials.
    Damien

I had seen duvets and like the sound of them. The selky looks interesting but only rated for summer use really

I don't like being constricted in a bag.

I just use my bag as a duvet and wear a down jacket to sleep in if it's really cold.

Probably a good compromise per. I guess if you're really cold you can then zip the bag up and get inside

I find this site good...........https://uk.hotels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rbm109 View Post
    I find this site good...........https://uk.hotels.com/

That's the suggestion Robin normally gives!

Quote Originally Posted by jamiemagee View Post
    if you're really cold you can then zip the bag up and get inside
    Or even the other way 'round

Me I have a three season bag, couple that with a bivy bag and additional clothing if required, never needed to yet
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

You can buy a zip in wedge that extends the circumference of your bag if you find it a little constricting, otherwise for UK temperatures and beyond a quilt will work fine with a little practice.

I'm not sure what you're complaining about though, we regularly camp at -25 C and below and stay warm with a good bag.

I have a Rab Expedition 1200 and add a down jacket when it gets too much for that. Make sure your mat is up to the job, you'll need something with a decent R value or all your body heat will be lost to the ground no matter how good your sleeping bag.
    "All right" said Eeyore "We're going. Only don't blame me"

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

My mate tall Paul (xl 6ft 5) uses musac bag selky suit but also a sleeping bag. Brilliant as still warm in morning to have a dash of make coffee. Try both?

ir

I use a Sioen ECW ( Extreme Cold Weather Suit, a trappers hat and a small duvet.

I haven't had my heating on this winter so far, keeps me warm and a lot better than the Selky suit.

Armed Services issue them to their Tank and Truck drivers sleeping in their vehicles in the Baltic area overnight in a drivers seated position,

Good deals can be found on EBay if your patient.

Hi, I'm an XL guy also. I'm too tall for any off the shelf sleeping bag, even the 'xl' ones. I have a 2 season and a 4 season bag from RAB which were made with extra sections in the middle to accommodate me. I'm sure that if you asked them they could offer something. They are down, so pack up small. I also use a down waistcoat which gives extra flexibility.

I also have some down trousers for serious cold. They are by PHD who again made them extra long. They do serious sleeping bags for high altitude and polar trips, so very good quality and not too expensive for what they are. As you can see from my recent Glen Affric bloggs I know something about camping in the cold...

Mike

My choice is a 3 season down bag that I rarely zip up (it has to be very cold) and an Exped DLX Synmat 7. I remain warm in winter and can still use (or not) the same kit for summer.

This stuff works well on the ground or in a hammock (even in winter).

Doug
    When there's trouble on shore, there's peace on the wave,
    Afloat in the White Canoe.
    Alan Sullivan

Black Cat tent heater. Cozy & warm, even when it's cold enough outside to freeze the dog's water bowl solid!

I'm not XL but I also don't like being restricted in a sleeping bag. I started using Alpkit's cloudcover: https://www.alpkit.com/products/cloud-cover which is perfect by itself for summer camping and much more comfortable than a sleeping bag... when the temperature drops I simply use it inside a 3 season sleeping bag but without doing up the sleeping bag so that it covers any gap made by the zip when moving about.

I find it a pretty flexible and cost effective set up which can take anything the UK can throw at it.

Another thing to think about is the "Ray Way" well known among the ultralight enthusiasts in the states but less so here. Ray and Jenny have made quilts they have used in all temperatures. They sell as a kit so it can be made to your exact specifications:

http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Qu...x.htm?g_page=1

...an interesting read (some 20 pages) if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Jones View Post
    I Use this site ... <snip> Its Good For Winter Sleeping Best Duvets Ever..

WARNING

I clicked on this link and was taken to uk . hotels . com. I think the link is compromised.

Searching for ray mat textiles took me to <snip>

Something fishy with Dean Jones link?

Doug
    Last edited by lowlander; 26th-June-2017 at 03:25 PM. Reason: removed spam URLs
    When there's trouble on shore, there's peace on the wave,
    Afloat in the White Canoe.
    Alan Sullivan

this was a deliberately placed link, on an old/dead thread, after a bunch of harmless but nonsense posts. that's typical spam behaviour, and i've banned the guy and deleted the posts.

doug: you know you can report these kind of things to mods by clicking the little "exclamation mark in a triangle" symbol underneath each posts? that's a more certain way of reporting them. i now just came across this one by chance.

P.S.
    edited your post to delete the spam URLs. no need to drive more traffic to to them

You got there ahead of me, lowlander. I'd just realised that all his posts consisted of repeating something that had been said earlier in the thread, with a few words altered.
    Not in Oxford any more...

yeah, they often do that so that they can build up post count until they are allowed to create links, without looking too suspicious.
    after a while you develop a nose for these guys

Some interesting mis-translation too, for somebody with the name "Dean Jones". Was going to report once I had proper interweb, but you guys were on it pretty quickly.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r View Post
    Black Cat tent heater. Cozy & warm, even when it's cold enough outside to freeze the dog's water bowl solid!

That caught my eye as I really suffer with the cold anything below 15 degrees so I use a bag plus duvet.

Unfortunalety it seems they don't make them anymore, are there any comparable heaters for inside tents.

Thanks

This one is made by Martin. I have on of their stoves & it's an excellent product, so I expect the heater is as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r View Post
    This one is made by Martin. I have on of their stoves & it's an excellent product, so I expect the heater is as well.

Thanks but I can't find anything on google or Martins site not even amazon, maybe they are discontinued, I'm wondering if there is something about fire risk so have been stopped?

Nope. Here's a page full of that one and similar heaters at one of my local retailers:

https://www.sail.ca/en/camping/burners-lanterns/heaters

Maybe they don't have 'em over there, but you could have one shipped I'm sure.

Coleman Blackcat tent heater is available in UK here.

http://www.campingworld.co.uk/en/gb/...er/m-4990.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by meirion View Post
    Coleman Blackcat tent heater is available in UK here.

http://www.campingworld.co.uk/en/gb/...er/m-4990.aspx
    Thanks but..

Discontinued Item - Sorry, this item is no longer available,

Ooops! .................... Note to self : Always read the small print