Thread: River Liddel, Scottish Borders Newcastleton to Penton Linn or Longtown

Default River Liddel, Scottish Borders Newcastleton to Penton Linn or Longtown

If the forecast rain is not too significant, I fancy a bash at this on Sunday 1st October.

The river is the Scotland/England border down to where it meets the Border Esk.

Sections of this river at Penton Linn go at Grade 3/4 according to UKRGB. Will not be on the water if levels get near to being high at Penton Linn.

Length approx eight miles from Newcastleton down to Penton Linn, another seven or eight more to Longtown IF it goes the full distance ...

If interested please contact by PM for the up-to-date cunning plan ...
    I like canoes ......

This turned out to be a very exciting run.

I was relieved that no one stepped forward to join me on the water - and was fortunate to have, quite by chance, taken an OC 1 type canoe, (Dagger Caption).

I put in at Newcastleton on a clearly very low river level.
    Apart from the pleasure of paddling the actual Scotland/England border, this did not achieve very much at all and would use the bridge lower down at Kershopefoot for future access.

Lots of scraping,wading and lining - all good fun on an idyllic Autumn day but not for the 'boat precious' amongst us (me).

Further down as the river builds, there are plentiful G 3 type Rapids, very technical at scrape levels inc at least ten ledge drops - the biggest being close to 1 metre, most nearer to 0.5m.
    No piccies due to the lack of a waterproof camera ...

Got off, exhausted, at the bridge at Penton, Penton Linn looked unrunnable at these levels. Nine mile bike shuttle (strenuous) and back home for 16:00.

Certainly my most exciting solo paddle, probably a bit stupid to have run it alone, but at least I had no one else's needs to consider ...

Posted for reference should anyone else get the notion in the future ...
    Last edited by barelyafloat; 3rd-October-2016 at 11:23 AM.
    I like canoes ......

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。

Thanks for the info - that's very useful. One I might try some time.

Did you cycle back along the old railway track?

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

Sounds like a good crack!