Thread: Wistlandpound Reservoir ...

Devon ..just up from the bottom and right a bit.

Default Wistlandpound Reservoir ...

Hi guys, some of you may of seen I've recently supported a chap to access our wonderful world of canoeing with the fantastic help of The Calvert Trust.
    ( http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...sing-the-Dream )

Part of our adventure included paddling Wistlandpound to a big blue storage barrel which was anchored as a buoy in 75 feet of water.

Our instructor Al (top bloke) asked us to guess why it was there? I suggested the beers were on the end or it was the plug..

The correct answer was quite shocking ...

The reservoir was constructed in 1956. A number of cottages had to be aquired and demolished in the name of progress. But there was also a church , being against the law to demolish a church the church was left standing.

The Vicar barricaded himself in and instead of negotiation or physically removing him they flooded the valley leaving him in the church. Eventually murdering him. His death in my thoughts probably to hypothermia as it take an age for water to rise. Absolutely dreadful.

Needless to say we were speechless. Then I felt a wave of sadness. I asked if anyone was bought to book , "yes the person who gave the order to flood was in-prisoned" Al said.

The watery grave is marked only with a tatty old storage barrel and nothing to mark his passing and his devotion to his church.

Right here is my question to you guys.. Have any of you heard of this incident? I have trawled online and have come up blank??

A horrible and a tragic story isn't it...

Here's Wistlandpound... The barrel is just visible in this shot as a black spec..

Last edited by Teign Beaver; 27th-September-2016 at 11:14 AM.

Wow, what an interesting and sad story. I have walked around Wistlandpound countless times over the years and never knew about the flooded cottages or church. Its a shame that little is known or conveyed about its history, which really isn't that long ago in the grand scheme of things. Did you find out the vicars name (or the name of the guy who turned on the tap...?).

Really interesting story and if was true, would be movie worthy. However, (IMHO) given the lack of info anywhere on t'internet about the history of the build, I'm not convinced on how 'true' it is - I know that the internet doesn't contain all the information in the world ever, but it's close. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a church & village there and that the vicar put up a struggle but I can't believe that someone was allowed to 'turn the tap on' if there was there the risk of harming / killing an individual.

Perhaps I'm getting cynical in my middle age.....
    Death is natures way of telling you to slow down.

Seems a bit like a local ghost story to me as well,

I found that a local railway had to be diverted when the land was flooded but I cant find anything about someone being drowned which you would think, would be included in any local history of it.

Devon....weirdo's up there,they even put cream on their scones first instead of jam...

Well this is it guys ..is it really true?

Al was very sincere in telling the story and he certainly wasn't a wind up merchant. I didn't ask any more questions as I thought Google will furnish me with more details.

So I'm sat here with a properly prepared scone and a cuppa wondering if I should contact the Southwest Lakes Trust??

Thanks for your replies folks.. Including our friend on the wrong side of the Tamar.

I love this kind of search but the only info I can find is there is the remnants of an old railway line under there.
    If in doubt, hit it with a hammer!!

Ounce is offline 28.3495 grams - not a heavy weight! Administrator

It's not true.

Here's why... below is a link to a map from 1909 of the same area, you can see the buildings at North Thorne to the South of the reservoir quite clearly and the square shape of the Calvert Trust Exmoor to the North on both Google maps and this one. (you will likely need to change the zoom level to see the old map instead of the later ones - the fullscreen mode (button with four arrows on it) helps a good deal too)

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/264...1700/12/100604

But unless aliens transported a church and village into the area between 1909 and 1956 when the reservoir was finished, then this is going into the conspiracy theory cupboard with all the others

I suppose it could have been an underground church and village... that would account for the ease of flooding too
    -------------------------
    You! Off my planet!

Hi Ounce ... I can't flipping open the link but I've seen regards the railway line. Yes looking like a red herring then. The instructor Al must of been strung along then , as he really wasn't the kind of chap to tell ott stories to trusting folk some with learning disabilties.

Thanks ...

I found this online, not under the water but very close to it, maybe it has been like chinese wispers over many years and the story has changed.

Deserted medieval village of North Thorne.

The village, comprising a small group of houses, gardens, yards, streets, paddocks, often with a green, a manor and a church, and with a community devoted primarily to agriculture, was a significant component of the rural landscape in most areas of medieval England, much as it is today.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listi...-entry/1002579

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyads View Post
    I found this online, not under the water but very close to it, maybe it has been like chinese wispers over many years and the story has changed.

Deserted medieval village of North Thorne.

The village, comprising a small group of houses, gardens, yards, streets, paddocks, often with a green, a manor and a church, and with a community devoted primarily to agriculture, was a significant component of the rural landscape in most areas of medieval England, much as it is today.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listi...-entry/1002579
    Did the vicar drown in his bath...?

Im not sure there is a copy of the berevements page from the news paper printed then

So it's a myth then guys... I'm happy to leave it there then...

.........did anyone hear a church bell ringing just then???