Thread: Wanigan

Default Wanigan

I would really like to build a small/medium sized wanigan for canoe trips and camping trips. The only problem is my DIY projects always end up being a huge disappointment. Has anyone seen a Wanigan kit? If all the parts were pre-cut etc I think I could manage it!

Save your sorrows and get a waterproof toolbox.
    All the best,
    Richard
    Retired bushcrafter now happy camper

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    Save your sorrows and get a waterproof toolbox.
    Now that would be far too easy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgive my ignorance but what is a wanigan ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ripvanwinkle View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but what is a wanigan ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It's a wooden box which you load into your canoe with all of your cooking stuff in it for canoe camping trips. It's basically a mobile camping kitchen

I'm hoping to make one too (once I have completed work on my wooden canoe that is). I think the question is... do you want a square or rounded bottom? Not seen any kits, but I'm sure you could find some plans on t'internet for a nice square bottomed wanigan. Maybe by the time you've finished yours, you'll be in a position to make the "wanigan kit"! I think that i'll go for the more curvaceous shape - to fit the canoe better.

Quote Originally Posted by mw-fox View Post
    I'm hoping to make one too (once I have completed work on my wooden canoe that is). I think the question is... do you want a square or rounded bottom? Not seen any kits, but I'm sure you could find some plans on t'internet for a nice square bottomed wanigan. Maybe by the time you've finished yours, you'll be in a position to make the "wanigan kit"! I think that i'll go for the more curvaceous shape - to fit the canoe better.
    Yes I'm just hoping to make a flat bottomed one. I think it might have to be my winter project in the shed.

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

My wanigan is made of plastic. I got it from CPC.
    Like this, but without the foam.

Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

Quote Originally Posted by euroben View Post
    I would really like to build a small/medium sized wanigan for canoe trips and camping trips. The only problem is my DIY projects always end up being a huge disappointment. Has anyone seen a Wanigan kit? If all the parts were pre-cut etc I think I could manage it!
    Try this
    http://nwwoodsman.com/Articles/Wannigan.html
    "Access all areas, Under the radar"

Hi fran what size is your case from cpc

Wanigans aren't even that well known over here in North America. There are two main places where they are still being used - Temagami in Central Ontario, Canada and Maine in the U.S.

I too was looking for a kit a one point but couldn't find one even though I live relatively close to Temagami. In the end, built mine with some precut birch panels from an art supplies store and some pine shelving that was cut for me at a lumber store. Not that difficult once you have the desired dimensions. I've included links to other instructions for wanigan building found on the net if you go to my post below...
    http://paddlemaking.blogspot.ca/2014...gan-build.html

Recently found out that Don Merchant of Pole and Paddle in Maine makes a wannigan kits for a customer in Japan. Pics are from this page here...http://ameblo.jp/countrybreeze/entry-11668684911.html

Perhaps you can get in touch with Don directly to see if he can ship a kit to you. It's a bit of different design. No idea about the cost.

Good luck
    Paddlemaking & Other Canoe Stuff - paddlemaking.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Murat V View Post
    Wanigans aren't even that well known over here in North America. There are two main places where they are still being used - Temagami in Central Ontario, Canada and Maine in the U.S.

I too was looking for a kit a one point but couldn't find one even though I live relatively close to Temagami. In the end, built mine with some precut birch panels from an art supplies store and some pine shelving that was cut for me at a lumber store. Not that difficult once you have the desired dimensions. I've included links to other instructions for wanigan building found on the net if you go to my post below...
    http://paddlemaking.blogspot.ca/2014...gan-build.html

Recently found out that Don Merchant of Pole and Paddle in Maine makes a wannigan kits for a customer in Japan. Pics are from this page here...http://ameblo.jp/countrybreeze/entry-11668684911.html

Perhaps you can get in touch with Don directly to see if he can ship a kit to you. It's a bit of different design. No idea about the cost.

Good luck
    That is exactly what I have been looking for. I will drop him an email and see what he says. If he shipped one to Japan, chances are he will ship to U.K.

In what way is that different form a wooden box with lid?

I would prefer something like this

Tim Gent http://www.timgentoutdoors.com/canoe-camp-cooking/ (wineigan sic. third pic down) uses a couple of old wooden wine crates which I think look rather nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    Tim Gent http://www.timgentoutdoors.com/canoe-camp-cooking/ (wineigan sic. third pic down) uses a couple of old wooden wine crates which I think look rather nice.
    They do look quite good

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

Quote Originally Posted by digger driver View Post
    Hi fran what size is your case from cpc
    Small suitcase size - 569x425x215mm
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

Thanks fran

Many different options went through my mind, this would work in any size I guess, I am no chippy but a 10 inch table saw and belt sander are my best friends, hardware from screwfix and toolstation (other DIY stores available!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Albert View Post

Many different options went through my mind, this would work in any size I guess, I am no chippy but a 10 inch table saw and belt sander are my best friends, hardware from screwfix and toolstation (other DIY stores available!!)
    What a great job you have done! I really need to just give this a try and see how it turns out I think

Hi Euroben

Just for info, I made the boxes out of 12mm ordinary wbp ply, you could use marine ply but it is mega expensive, I glued and screwed using drywall screws, as they are pretty weather proof and very thin so you can screw directly into the edge of 12mm ply with a pilot drill, and good old fashioned pva glue. The finish is yacht / marine varnish. Inside and out as spillages will stain untreated wood and cause odours..

Let us see what you end up with, plastic boxes are ok, but you cannot tailor them to what you want, and not as enjoyable as making something yourself

Good luck whatever you do

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Albert View Post
    Hi Euroben

Just for info, I made the boxes out of 12mm ordinary wbp ply, you could use marine ply but it is mega expensive, I glued and screwed using drywall screws, as they are pretty weather proof and very thin so you can screw directly into the edge of 12mm ply with a pilot drill, and good old fashioned pva glue. The finish is yacht / marine varnish. Inside and out as spillages will stain untreated wood and cause odours..

Let us see what you end up with, plastic boxes are ok, but you cannot tailor them to what you want, and not as enjoyable as making something yourself

Good luck whatever you do

Dave
    Thanks Dave that is really helpful