Thread: Waterproof boots

Default Waterproof boots

Hi all, A bit of a newbie to all this so bear with me. I have only been canoeing twice in Sweden and I now have a camping/canoeing holiday in Sweden planned for May next year. The weather is not going to be that warm at that time of year and as it will have been the colder months beforehand, then I am after a pair of waterproof boots. I can then wear some warm socks underneath them (if thats the done thing?). They cant be too bulky or heavy as I will need to pack them for the flight over.
    Does anyone have any recommendations?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
    A bad day Camping is better than a good day working!

Some wellies.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

For this I'd be wearing my Gore-Tex lined fabric boots, with 1 or 2 layers of socks depending on weather, and wearing them on the plane, plus lighter footwear for the paddling bit as I kneel. Mine are Salomon something or others.

If not a kneeler, many folk here rate Muck boots highly as all round in-and-out-the-water footwear.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Hopefully Aldi will be doing their neoprene insulated wellies again in the future so look out for them........at 20 they are a steal I have a pair after they were recommended on here and I don't take them off my feet in the winter, dog walking/canoeing very comfy with lots of flexibility
    "I am easily satisfied with the very best" Sir Winston Churchill, He once owned an Apache too!

Recently I have been using conventional, non-waterproof boots combined with waterproof socks on my motorcycle and it works very well indeed. Waterproof socks have come on a long way in recent years.

The real advantage is if you accidentally get water in your waterproof boots, you're stuck with wet boots, sometimes for days. If the same happens with your socks, you can change them and the wet pair are much faster to dry out. Non-waterproof boots are also quicker to dry.

I'm using sealskinz merino lined socks, they are calf high so are as effective as wellingtons and are warm, comfortable and wick well.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

I'm a 'Muck Boot' fan. lovely and warm and I only use thin socks with them. Maybe a little bulky for baggage though.
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks. The neoprene wellies or muck boots look ideal if I can pack them. If not then the sealskin socks it will be.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

I have a pair of wellies.similar to muck boots and can vouch for them whilst paddling in cold.weather. As.for the bulk on the plane you could always wear them when boarding ....
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

Aldi have waterproof socks for 13 next Thursday

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

i like the maine hunting shoe from ll bean's. they have different models now, i use the normal non-insulated one because it gives me more options for adding insulation with the type of socks i use, and if it does get wet it dries more quickly. these are waterproof, and come in different shaft lengths (i think i have tallest ones, one not sure?). they are waterproof, you don't sweat too much in them, and they're slim and flexible which makes them great for kneeling in the canoe.

tried muck boots but they're terribly bulky, run very hot and if they get wet, they never dry again, at least not during a trip however long it is. the whole rubber boot family pretty much has the same disadvantages. but they're not bad, i wear my muck boots every day for dog walks! just not in the canoe.

waterpoof socks may be a good idea. i've played with the thought quite a few years ago but they were pretty crappy then still. by now, they could be a good option.

Not sure I fancy wearing wellies onto a plane!
    Think I will look into some sort of lightweight welly and waterproof socks. That way I can tryout both methods.

If packed size and weight is an issue. Mrs stinkwheel had some hunter folding wellies she took to music fetivals with her. They eventually split along the fold but lasted a reasonable time.

Thanks I will look into them. They only have to last for 9 days, so could be ideal.

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

Not cheap at nearly 75, but Palm's nova boot which are neoprene with a breathable fabric top are good and pack fairly small. I wear them in my sea kayak, as not enough room for my Muckboots

Or you could try Lomo's offering, which is neoprene all the way to the knee and more economical at just under 50
    Fran

Slight resurrection. I like the concept of waterproof socks since you can then use suitable summer footwear. I have a couple of questions though:
    1. Do you find the inner layer separates or crinkles? The older sealskin stuff was awful for doing that (including my 'waterproof' gloves that apparently don't keep rain out but prevent water from draining out if it enters via the cuff).
    2. How tight is the upper cuff (I appreciate leg diameters vary considerably) - would it allow water to pour in from above whilst kneeling?

I haven't yet tried this combination, but for my trip to Sweden next June I'm planning to wear these on the plane (with normal socks):

http://www.canoeandkayakstore.co.uk/...amp_buggy.aspx

Then with these to paddle in if it's cold

https://dexshell.co.uk/wading-sock

and since the boots will be wet once I've paddled in them, a shorter pair of waterproof socks when I'm ashore (just to keep the wet boot off my feet)

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

'Nother vote for Muckboots.

I've worn them on a plane before.

But I also like the look of Fran's fancy boots. Worth a look maybe...

Now I wish to God I'd joined those men when they were set ashore, but I chose a wild and a reckless life serving under Captain Moore.

Crow Trip Log

I've previously found running trainers to be quite good for draining, fell running trainers usually have good grip as well (depending on how old they are - muddy banks and worn out soles don't work so well)

Quote Originally Posted by tmcox View Post
    1. Do you find the inner layer separates or crinkles? The older sealskin stuff was awful for doing that (including my 'waterproof' gloves that apparently don't keep rain out but prevent water from draining out if it enters via the cuff).
    2. How tight is the upper cuff (I appreciate leg diameters vary considerably) - would it allow water to pour in from above whilst kneeling?
    1) The ones I have seem to be effectively one pice, the merino wicking part in the foot is attached firmly to the outer sock.

2) They stay up well. The ones I have come up over my calf and have a reasonably tight fitting cuff. If you were to go over the top of them, you'd land up with wet feet. I'd say they'd be more resistant to trickle-down when kneeling than wellies but it's not a seal like you get on a drysuit cuff.

Well I have decided on waterproof socks with Crocs. These are the socks I have gone for.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

combat socks! are they bullet and shrapnel proof?

An other cheap alternative is to buy a cheap pair of wellingtons, (10 ones). They are just as waterproof as the muckboot type stuff and if you wear them with a pair of decent socks they've going to be perfectly warm - but probably not too hot. And if needs must you can always leave them when you return.

I took my muckboots to the Thelon in Canada. Perfectly toasty for wading in water only a tad above freezing. But far too warm for walking up and down hills when we looked around (Its warm in summer there!) I guessed that might the case and took an old 2nd hand pair of army boots too.

On reflection:-

I'd probably have been better off just taking/using wellies as I often wear wellingtons summer and winter and they work for both.

(Edit) The ex army boots, I left stood to attention on a street in Ft. Smith. They might have a new home now with a Cree Hunter.
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

I have a pair of Teva Event boots. Very comfy and warm. A bit light for hiking but good for forest trails and canoeing. They are quite soft, the soles flex more than usual so are good when in the confines of a canoe.