Thread: Sweden (+ Finland or Norway) solo trip

Default Sweden (+ Finland or Norway) solo trip

Hi,

This is my first post, so apologies if this has been posted before (if so, shame me & I will do a more thorough search of the archives!).

I'm looking at undertaking a solo canoe trip in Sweden next year (actually, I'm also open to Finland and/or Norway) but have come across problems due to wishing to paddle solo.

I'm an experienced paddler and outdoorsman and am looking for any advice on outfitters who would be comfortable supporting a solo trip (only for about 5 nights). Many seem to need two adults as a minimum or otherwise they pair you with a stranger. Whereas I am looking for a totally solo experience.

Any advice/thoughts much appreciated!

BW,
    P

Have a look at http://www.nordmarkencanoeuk.co.uk/

The website does quote a price for a solo paddler, and I know the owner, Preben Mortensen, has done solo paddles himself so will understand.
    The remaining problem will be that the only boats I've ever seen for hire in Sweden are aluminium and hard work solo.

I have paddled some nice composite boats in Finland from http://www.tavinsulka.com - the website doesn't price for solo but I would expect the owner, Béla Pavelka, would be open to being convinced.

Hello and Welcome!

Its quite a difficult one, and is one of the reasons why I bought an Ally folding canoe earlier this year - I can paddle (and portage) that solo no problem.

The other factor is that many of the hire canoes in Scandinavia are the big metal Linders, which are set up in such a way as to be difficult to paddle solo, and weigh and absolute tonne. I found that one of the companies in Rogen had better canoes (think it was Ventures), but they only hire out in multiples of two.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
    Have a look at http://www.nordmarkencanoeuk.co.uk/

The website does quote a price for a solo paddler, and I know the owner, Preben Mortensen, has done solo paddles himself so will understand.
    The remaining problem will be that the only boats I've ever seen for hire in Sweden are aluminium and hard work solo.

I have paddled some nice composite boats in Finland from http://www.tavinsulka.com - the website doesn't price for solo but I would expect the owner, Béla Pavelka, would be open to being convinced.
    Interesting, hadn't spotted those. And if I hadn't parked my post for so long answering a text, I'd have read it before posting!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

You could try Femund Canoe Camp and ask for Bengt. If you convince him you have enough experience he'll probably have a solo canoe for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddlejoe View Post
    You could try Femund Canoe Camp and ask for Bengt. If you convince him you have enough experience he'll probably have a solo canoe for you.
    yes he will, he did it for me on Lake Isteren this summer, I found soloing the Linders easier than expected and Isteren is well, paradise......

A bit late but may help others. www.kayakbohuslan.com do solo rentals but it's sea kayaking not really wilderness. It's more expensive than groups though, maybe insurance related?