Thread: Thirlmere 17th Sept

Default Thirlmere 17th Sept

If the weather is on our side we are popping up for a few hours of paddling on Thirlmere. It has been on our list of to-do's for a while and with having an empty diary I have decided to try and visit.

We will be arriving at the Armboth car-park at 11am for a bimble around the lake.

Anyone is welcome to join us, If you can let me know beforehand if you plan on coming that would be great but typical SOTP standards we will put in slightly later just in case

I will check the weather again nearer the time mainly for wind speed (not bothered about getting wet just need to get out paddling)
    If in doubt, hit it with a hammer!!

Love to join you but diary's already full for the weekend. However, early weather looks good with light winds forecast - http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/thirlmere
    Death is natures way of telling you to slow down.

Would have loved to but unfortunately we are away this weekend.

If you fancy an evening paddle sometime my chum and I were thinking of putting in at Halton and doing a bit of the Lune one evening. Not very exciting but nice just to get out. We thought of portaging up to the aqueduct and going north on the canal for a bit of variety.

I was also thinking of trying to plan in a "Lune Loop" one Sat/Sun - put in at the Quay and paddle down to Glasson then back on the canal... just have to find a free weekend where weather and tide is right!

Deffo up for an evening paddle sometime, I am still in the process of finding farmers to ask about wild camping for the loop, we had planned to put in at Halton.

Might give this a go providing the car park is open, so may see you on the water at some point.
    Steve
    "Access all areas, Under the radar"

Quote Originally Posted by Toptec View Post
    Might give this a go providing the car park is open, so may see you on the water at some point.
    Steve
    All carparks are now open according to United Utilities website

I'm afraid I'm busy babysitting grandkids so I can't make it (I've never paddled Thirlmere either. Damn!)
    There's a Bluebird in my heart

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Pirate View Post
    All carparks are now open according to United Utilities website

I'm afraid I'm busy babysitting grandkids so I can't make it (I've never paddled Thirlmere either. Damn!)
    Thank's NP

Oh good no long portage to the water, cheers for that. We will be brewing up and having a bacon butty before hitting the water so will probably be about between 11-11.45am if anyone is later we will be paddling around the islands.

hi,
    shame i hadn't already booked to camp at Low Wray. Paddling on Windermere Saturday, unless its too windy to paddle on, may drive over to Thirlmere. But have a good weekend.

Tentative yes from Mrs stinkwheel and I. (as in she's not back from work yet so I haven't asked her).

Forecast looks sublime.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

Quote Originally Posted by stinkwheel View Post
    Tentative yes from Mrs stinkwheel and I. (as in she's not back from work yet so I haven't asked her).

Forecast looks sublime.
    I love your idea of a 'tentative yes'
    Death is natures way of telling you to slow down.

Upgrading to a firm yes on the promise of needing more sunscreen than jumpers.

I might be a little late, need to replace the spacers on Mrs stinkwheels canoe seat with temporary longer ones before we set off. Should be a straightforward job but you know how things like that go. I'm not 100% certain the slices of blue alkathene water pipe I've cut will do the job.

Oh, and I was down there a few weeks ago and Armboth carpark was definately open.

Sadly, the pay and display machine was in a severe state of disrepair...
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

Canoes loaded, sun block packed and butties made, do my flask in the morning and hit the road. See who ever turns up at the car park or on the water.

Have a good trip guys.
    Wish I could join you!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyads View Post
    Deffo up for an evening paddle sometime, I am still in the process of finding farmers to ask about wild camping for the loop, we had planned to put in at Halton.
    Hello

I hope the Thirlmere paddle was enjoyable. Do you have any evenings free in the next couple of weeks for a Lune Paddle? I was thinking around about 6:00 on a weekday evening which would give a couple of hours on the water.

Anyone else is more than welcome as well.

Yeah, I can do any evening other than this coming Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyads View Post
    Canoes loaded, sun block packed and butties made, do my flask in the morning and hit the road. See who ever turns up at the car park or on the water.
    It was a really good day for a jaunt, sorry we missed you guys. We were on the water at 9.00a.m but had to be back for "Child minding duties" at 5p.m
    I think we caught site of 3 canoes heading down toward the water works at around 2p.m, we were heading back from the bottom end on the opposite side.
    Maybe next time we'll catch each other
    Steve

Yes that was us, I have more time on my hands now so will be organising a few paddles for us northern SOTP members. Everyone's welcome though there are plenty of campsites up here.