Thread: Stoke on Trent Heritage Canoe Trail

Smile Stoke on Trent Heritage Canoe Trail

Yesterday marked the official launch of the Stoke on Trent Heritage Canoe Trail, a joint venture funded by British Canoeing and the City of Stoke on Trent. The Lord Mayor Anthony Munday took to the water at Etruria Industrial Museum with Cllr Terry Follows and after pausing shortly for a photo shoot they set off at speed in the direction of Westport Lake. Hopefully there are no pirates on the Trent & Mersey as the Mayor was wearing his chains of office over his BA.

The story from Sentinel Newspaper ... http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/8203-...ail/story.html

The trail/guide has been released as a free download from Stoke on Trent Council and can accessed from this web page ... http://www.stoke.gov.uk/ccm/content/...trail-guide.en
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Sadly it was not well promoted before the event.
    some last minute mentions in the local paper

Sean
    AKA Jammy

Staffordshire councils are keen to open up this section of canal to all users, the towpath from Stoke to Cheadleton has also been upgraded to a cycle track, it links into the Derbyshire cycle tracks as part of a 3m project. Credit to them for their good work.
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.

What a brilliant resource, thank you for the link.

The Black Lion to Froghall stretch is one of my all-time favourite paddles even though we've never done it without an 'incident' - the shuttle run for support drivers can take almost as long as a leisurely paddle between the two points, especially when said shuttle car gets a flat tyre in the middle of nowhere and phone reception is non-existent! The lure of trains, fab scenery, pub and TUNNEL (yes I suspect I was a miner or cave-dweller in a previous existence) is just irresistible.

But I do have a question for those who know the area better than me - is the canalside pottery ever open?

The Canalside pottery is open but you do have to telephone them first.
    Next time follow the river section up to the next lock and excellent place to stop for lunch or an overnight.
    Many of use this as a chill out meet.
    Let me know when you are next on that section

Sean
    AKA Jammy

Quote Originally Posted by Denise View Post
    But I do have a question for those who know the area better than me - is the canalside pottery ever open?
    I was cycling past a couple of months ago and stopped for a chat, the guy used to work in the potteries and as a teacher at the S-O-T college, he said his son was in the process of producing a website for him so it may be worth doing a search on line.

This site is interesting to identify the potteries next to the canal. http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw058278

Having taken part in this recreational reccy, in partnership with Potteries Paddlers I can say that it was a fantastic way to enjoy the sights of sunny Stoke-on-Trent from the waters edge, starting with the industrial pottery landscapes to meandering through tranquil countryside, with plenty of places to stop and explore along the way (lots of pubs too for light refreshments).

Lets hope that people come to the city to paddle their chosen craft along the Trent and Mersey and Cauldon Canal.

Maybe the Council will consider the Trent and Mersey branch from Eturia through to Stone/Stafford, linking up with Stafford Council to enable such schemes to become accessible to even more of this wonderful waterway.
    Last edited by tonym; 13th-September-2016 at 06:28 PM.
    "I am easily satisfied with the very best" Sir Winston Churchill, He once owned an Apache too!

Fantastic news to hear of any new canoe trail, and the combination of waterways and heritage sounds good.

They might not be that well publicised, but momentum is growing, and slowly more and more regions are turning to their waterways as a resource for leisure users.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

I read the post a day or so ago together with the supporting linked details and, while not directly much use to me here, I was really pleased to see it had been established. As Mal says, despite access issues in the UK, it seems trails are becoming more numerous.

Now I hope somebody actually uses it and provides feedback to keep them coming.

All the best
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Canoe outfitting packages in the Massif Central

The publicity/advertising seemed to work as both heritage tours were fully booked

DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

The Black Lion to Froghall stretch is one of my all-time favourite paddles even though we've never done it without an 'incident' - the shuttle run for support drivers can take almost as long as a leisurely paddle between the two points, especially when said shuttle car gets a flat tyre in the middle of nowhere and phone reception is non-existent! The lure of trains, fab scenery, pub and TUNNEL (yes I suspect I was a miner or cave-dweller in a previous existence) is just irresistible ....
    Mine too, Potteries Paddlers have this as the New Years Day paddle, setting off from Froghall Wharf to the Black Lion and then return, saves any shuttle problems. Sometimes the ice has been that thick that we've had to walk both ways, one year my dog decided to walk on the canal ... panic, panic ... dog then on lead for the rest of that years non-paddle.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Does anyone know if there is accommodation around halfway along, b&b or camping?

Would love to do the whole trail leisurely and stay overnight - any help that would be great!

Jay

Hi Jay,

Camping is possible by pre-arrangement at Northwood Stadium (approx 1/3 along), the Hollybush at Denford (approx 2/3 along) and the Black Lion at Consall Forge (nearish to the end)

DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Pete and me had a night at the lock side Jamatrad mentioned.

A very nice spot indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by ictoaun View Post
    Pete and me had a night at the lock side Jamatrad mentioned.

A very nice spot indeed.
    Agreed it's a nice spot, even better is to get closer to the Black Lion Pub for evening refreshments, it's a great little pub.

Just by chance I found the website address for this pottery, it is WWW.4ateapot.co.uk. Tel 01538 266625. Contact Nick Williams.

If you phone, they will open for you.

Sean
    AKA Jammy

Quote Originally Posted by cloudman View Post
    Agreed it's a nice spot, even better is to get closer to the Black Lion Pub for evening refreshments, it's a great little pub.
    Thistly Cross Whisky Barrel Cider ... ... can camp at the Black Lion too ... ... just ask nicely beforehand.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Quote Originally Posted by tonym View Post
    ... Maybe the Council will consider the Trent and Mersey branch from Eturia through to Stone/Stafford, linking up with Stafford Council to enable such schemes to become accessible to even more of this wonderful waterway.
    Tony ... I think we can confidently expect both the Leek Branch and Etruria to Stone to be appended to the SoT Heritage Canoe Trail shortly
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Council link down at the moment ... to download the complete Stoke on Trent Heritage Canoe Guide try here.
    The Short guides can still be found here

A recent video from a British Canoeing WMRDT Regional Paddle on part of the Trail ...

DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read