Thread: Taplow Riverside - Thames & Jubilee River

Default Taplow Riverside - Thames & Jubilee River

I saw this week that redevelopment has started on the Taplow Riverside on the Thames below Boulters Lock at Maidenhead.

This includes the site of Taplow paper mill which has the potential to provide an excellent portage between the Thames and the Jubilee River.

Does anyone know what the public access will be like?

It doesn't look far. I've looked on Google maps. It never looks far! Look like 90% public access, I suppose it's just down to that little section. Let's hope they are feeling generous to canoeists. All around our area is so much good canoeing especially with the green way development that it would seem rude not to allow access! On a side note, it also surprises me that there is no 'maidenhead canoe club'. It really is a prime location.
    I know nothing

It would be great if some sort of access were possible, as there is no easy way to transfer from the Thames to the Jubilee River at the top end, but I don't hold my hopes out.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

I have emailed Berkley homes with a map and a polite explanation of the importance of a path here. With prices from circa 1.2m up, we may not be hopeful
    I know nothing

Move in Canoe England to represent us?????????????

Probably not as we don't win medals and produce money. We do produce substantial subs though.

Rob I suggest, as you are local, a meeting with the planners and you local Councillor.

It's a pity we didn't get in at the planning stage, but it's got to be worth having a conversation...

I got a response, they got the wrong end of the stick.

I wrote (map was included)
    Dear sir/madam
    I am a canoeist and part of an online community of other canoeists, we would like to know whether any public access will be allowed across the two points on the map provided. Maidenhead and it's surrounding areas are some of the best river canoeing sites in England. Especially with the Maidenhead waterways project realising. All is needed is a footpath/alley between the points shown on the map to connect the beautiful waterways together for those who can portage (carry) their craft over this short stretch of land. There is no other way around that first weir. This really is a big question in the world of the canoe.

They replied,
    Hi Rob,
    >
    >
    >
    > Unfortunately we are not putting a bridge in the location shown as it is a protected ecology area however we are installing a new bridge by Boulters lock as per the attached.
    Kindest regards, Rob Thompson.

I have now replied

Dear Caroline, I know this may seem silly. But please do read this.

Thank you Caroline for your reply. Although it is not a bridge we are enquiring about, it is about a short "right of way" over your island between the main river Thames and Mill lane. With an access here an open Canadian style canoe could be pulled out of the Thames water, walked a short way to the jubilee water and a circuit could be completed around the whole lot. I've seen your proposed bridge on your site, it looks to be a wonderfully exiting addition to Maidenhead, but it is nowhere near the point I am asking about. I am looking to the area on mill lane where the road bends steeply outside the main entrance to the old paper mill. A public slipway here onto the Thames would benefit your home buyers too, although an ecologicaly sound footpath would be fine. The area in question is only 25 yards between the river and Mill lane. It would also allow people to cross the narrowest point of land between the Thames and the jubilee and all important, bypass the impassable first weir on the jubilee river using mill lane and the jubilee path. I would be more than happy to meet with you and your team there to point out my proposal. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest regards, Rob Thompson

Holding your breath on this is gonna be fatal!!!
    I know nothing

This was raised a few years ago when an earlier planningapplication was made. Canoe England’sAccess and Environment department were involved and our current chairman wasalso consulted being a Maidenhead resident. The proposal was, at that stage, shelved.

Anyone worked out the access to the planning drawings. I am struggling with the RBWM planning portal

Confused me for a while too, until I discovered it's in South Bucks not RBMW. I haven't sifted through them all yet, but the docs are here:
    http://www.southbucks.gov.uk/milllane2015a

There's a viewing platform shown which would give easy access to Mill Lane. It looks like plot 42 would obstruct access to the north bank of the Jubilee River, but there may be options on the other side?

http://www.southbucks.gov.uk/CHttpHa...hx?id=6978&p=0