Thread: Property with Unique Access to River Tamar

Default Property with Unique Access to River Tamar

This is not an advert, but a plea to any canoeing philanthropists out there. At the head of the tidal estuary of the River Tamar on the Devon/Cornwall border, a property is up for auction on 15th September 2016.

The property is a 19th Century detached cottage on an island with 4 acres of land. The stunning location is idyllic in summer, but floods most winters (see I am not trying to flog it). What is not put in the sales description is that a Fishing syndicate has access to the island with fishing rights for part of the river bank. But the owner does have exclusive rights to the bank at the southern part of the island. The property is Grade 2 listed (also not mentioned in the details) and in need of some TLC.

My concern is that the fishing syndicate or some other wealthy fisherman buys the property and excludes the whole of the river bank to any other use than for fishing. They already have control of most of the upper tidal reaches. These people are very hostile to other river users. They have lots of money, and bought a neighbouring property some years ago, just to retain control of the river bank. They then sold the property without access to the river.
    If I had the money, I would buy the property and invite any canoe groups/clubs to make a trip up the Tamar and use it as a landing stage, possibly turn the house into a bunkhouse for overnight stays. Wouldn’t that be awesome? This would also be a thorn in the side to the Fishing syndicate! Oh, and there is a small ramp weir by the property which, at certain river and tide levels, generates a sweet little play wave!
    So anyone out there who has a few hundred thousand to spare, and would love to own their own island on the banks of a beautiful river. Look it up, and get bidding!
    Details can be found on Clive Emson auctioneers website, Lot 113
    Last edited by Pete Thompson; 30th-August-2016 at 06:58 AM.
    Ryb An Avon.....

A few hundred thousand? surely you mean a couple of million?

Now paddling Either a Gumotex Palava 400 Or a Gumotex Solar Pro 410c and LOVING IT!

Quote Originally Posted by rancid badger View Post
    guide price 250-300k:

http://www.cliveemson.co.uk/index.ph...rties/188/113/

I can but dream...

Quote Originally Posted by rancid badger View Post
    Like I said, it is not without issues. A very different place in winter. The house needs a fair bit of work. The auctioneers only mention of flood risk is that 'flood mitigation measures advised' which is a huge understatement. It also implies the house would make a good family home. All the electrical sockets on the ground floor are set high, and the floors are flag stones, so pretty flood resistant, just needs a scrub out after the flooding season. So you have to be pretty hardy and maybe happy to live in very basic conditions. I personally would get a house boat to live in and moor it in the adjacent canal so it goes up and down with the tides and flood waters.

Having said that how often do you get the opportunity to buy your own island with river access in this country, for under half a million? It is a very quiet spot, on the edge of the village. Otters often pass through, and you don't get that much river traffic due to its inaccessibility.
    Last edited by Pete Thompson; 30th-August-2016 at 12:06 PM.
    Ryb An Avon.....

It's on Right Move also, in the plan it has a kitchen, lounge and parlour. I now realise I don't actually know what a parlour is! I thought it was a Victorian name for a sitting room?
    '...you can led a horse to water but a pencil must be lead...' Stan Laurel