Thread: Canal at Saltaire / Bingley

Default Canal at Saltaire / Bingley

Evening all.

Does anyone know of good launching spots near Saltaire / Bingley on the Canal?

Cheers
    Snozz

Quote Originally Posted by snozz View Post
    Does anyone know of good launching spots near Saltaire / Bingley on the Canal?
    Plenty of good options... including Dowley Gap and Hirst Lane. Dockfield Lane also offers easy access. If you want somewhere nearer Leeds try Calverly Bridge (Rodley). If you want somewhere further out try Priest Bank Road in Kildwick or Ings Lane in Low Bradley... which is great for going into Skipton.

If you want a truly great bit of the canal, head out to Greenberfield locks in Barnoldswick. From there you've got wonderful stretches in either direction: to Bank Newton (Gargrave direction) or to Foulridge.

Let me know how you get on as the survey I did was a couple of years ago.

Great - thanks for that. Hirst Lane looks very promising with a car park very close by. Will try Barnoldswick another time. It's where my grandparents used to live.

Have done Bradley and Kildwick before - both good launch points!

Snozz

Quote Originally Posted by snozz View Post
    Great - thanks for that. Hirst Lane looks very promising with a car park very close by
    The car park is just yards from the canal.... but beware the height barrier! As I recall, it was too low for my (rather large) trailer... let alone for the van.

IIRC, you can also park on the roadside on the lane... so no major issue.