Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SotP "Big Meet" @ Ripon - 19th-23rd August 2016

Default SotP "Big Meet" @ Ripon - 19th-23rd August 2016

Big Meet 2016 @ Ripon

19th - 23rd August - Banks of the River Ure - All Welcome!

Booking now open c/o Eventbrite

Since being founded in December 2005, Song-of-the-Paddle has become a wonderfully vibrant home to open canoeists from throughout the UK and beyond... and each year's "Big Meet" allows all associated (and anyone interested) to gather for a sociable weekend of camping and a bit of independent / peer-group boating.

Past meets have generated many wonderful memories, including Magikelly's My Big Meetup mini Blogg from last year at Loch Ken...

Searching around will throw up lots more blogs and photo collections including:

This year's gathering will be hosted by the Yorkshire Regional Development Team of British Canoeing on their land on the banks of the River Ure in Ripon (on the eastern edge of the Yorkshire Dales).

As ever, this meet will be informal. The Regional Development Team will provide:

• A camping field - with direct access to the water
    • Toilets (one disabled) - all c/o KC Conveniences
    • A water bowser - not labelled "drinking water" but filled from the mains!

All boating will be on an independent / peer-group basis but a coach familiar with the region will be available on Saturday 20th August to advise on boating options (adjacent to the site and further afield).

Those wishing to stay on site on Saturday 20th August are invited to our SoTP Playday...

Manufacturers and Retailers will be attending for the Playday which is also expected to include some mass-participation canoe polo. Throughout the Playday we hope to have the Sprint finals from Rio showing on a big screen: to be confirmed.

Note: we also anticipate an simple touring trip into Ripon - down the canal and back on the river. A shuttle vehicle and trailer will be available for the final (very short) portage.

Click here to see a Canal and River Trust map showing the Ripon Canal:

See also the SotP Blog A three river trip in Yorkshire and the Canal and River Trust's map of the River Ouse.
    Please note: the Wharf and Swale are also within easy striking distance for day trips!

On Sunday 21st August, everyone's invited to Washburn Boaterfest 2016

The Washburn is England's Premier Dam Release River​... and on Sunday 21st we'll be hosting Playboating, Boater-X, National Championship Racing, a BBQ and a Party. Everyone attending the "Big Meet" is invited... and Event Tickets cover participation in the Boater-X!

Note: many other options are available in the area, including year-round touring rivers and more sporting rivers which come into condition very quickly following rain. Options to suit all tastes will be promoted nearer the time.... but we could be looking here....

Equally, some may not have explored the loop into Ripon on the Saturday... and much else is available. We have local veterans to advise!

On Monday 22nd August, we're recommending a canoe-camp trip to Linton Lock Marina - a quiet campground near York

Ripon to Linton is a classic touring route. The majority of the descent is on navigable waterways. The campground at Linton is charming, and is expected to become very popular in the near future as the adjacent weir is being developed in 2017 to provide an all new canoe course. This may be a last chance to see what's being replaced!

This is Newby Hall on the Ure. Image c/o an SoTP Blog...

A shuttle will be available for anyone preferring to day trip and then return to Ripon, and again, other options will be discussed nearer the time.

On Tuesday 23rd August, we're recommending a canoe-camp trip through York - a half day from Linton

If you'd rather disappear off to the Dales or the North York Moors we'd understand. If the weather suits, we might even recommend a jaunt at Flamborough. If we've had rain, the Wharf and Swale are on the doorstep and the Tees is only just up the A1 - but if you want another gentle touring day, York is a good option!

As ever, what transpires will follow the interests of those attending.

From Wednesday 24th August...

We've plenty of time to make plans for later in the week, but Big Meet participants would be welcome to stay on at the campground for a small additional fee. Equally, if anyone's interested we can easily arrange a canoe camp on the Yorkshire Derwent, a trip through Leeds or perhaps a potter on the Pocklington Canal. Lots of options!

Beyond those options, we know of many other good campgrounds in the region - let us know what you seek!

Your hosts - British Canoeing in Yorkshire and Humberside

British Canoeing in Yorkshire and Humberside is volunteer-run and encompasses everyone from the independent boaters to the volunteers in clubs and uniform groups, and from manufacturers and distributors to retailers and coaches who work in the industry.

As hosts, the Regional Development Team is providing the venue (cleared land with toilets, etc.) and is making the arrangements outlined above. As ever, the rest is up to the Song-of-the-Paddle community. Expect an informal weekend of camping and boating with friends. See https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/regions/yorkshire/

Last edited by GregandGinaS; 22nd-July-2016 at 10:37 AM.

We've tried to keep booking as simple as possible... and in order to minimise the "cut" taken by Eventbrite we've favoured all-inclusive deals. We're pricing to include 1, 2-3 or 4-5 people for a whole weekend, or for longer.

We're hoping most folk can access the "Discounted" deals... because this saves all of us the "event fees" which are otherwise inescapable
    • As individual members of British Canoeing
    • As members of an affiliated club

OCA Membership would qualify and is 15 / year (adults) or 25 / year (families).

We can also offer temporary membership of Pennine Canoe and Rowing Club at 8 / adult or 5 / junior.

Some good news though: only one event fee is due for any event... and event includes Washburn Boaterfest 2016

Fundamentally, we're not aiming to make money from the event: we just need to cover costs like preparing the site and bringing in facilities. Any surplus from the weekend will be re-invested in canoeing in the Yorkshire and Humber region. SotP will be consulted about how!

Details are all on the Eventbrite system...

Quote Originally Posted by Eventbrite Booking System
    Source: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/edit?eid=26709433635

• Basic Family - Weekend Camping @ Ripon - Maximum 2 nights for 2 adults + 1 youngster - 40.00

Weekend only - Covers 2-3 family members camping @ Ripon for a maximum of 2 nights plus Event Ticket (insurance) and Boater-X Entry to Washburn Boaterfest 2016 (if you park at the Woodyard; shuttle available).

• Basic Family - Discounted (see description) - 30.00

Discounted Ticket for British Canoeing members and member of a formally-attending affiliated club (e.g. Open Canoe Association) - as your Membership saves US a total of 5 / head! Covers 2-3 family members camping @ Ripon for a maximum of 2 nights plus Event Ticket (insurance) and Boater-X Entry to Washburn Boaterfest 2016 (if you park at the Woodyard; shuttle available).

• Family Plus - up to 4 nights for up to 2 adults + 3 Youngsters - 55.00

Covers up to 2 adults and 3 youngster camping @ Ripon for up to 4 nights plus Event Ticket (insurance) and Boater-X Entry to Washburn Boaterfest 2016 (if you park at the Woodyard; shuttle available).

• Family Plus - Discounted (see description) - 45.00

Discounted "Plus" option for British Canoeing members and member of a formally-attending affiliated club (e.g. Open Canoe Association) - as your Membership saves US a total of 5 / head! Covers up to 2 adults and 3 youngster camping @ Ripon for up to 4 nights plus Event Ticket (insurance) and Boater-X Entry to Washburn Boaterfest 2016 (if you park at the Woodyard; shuttle available).

• Individual Adult - up to 4 Day Camping @ Ripon - Maximum 3 nights for 1 Adult - 25.00

Covers camping @ Ripon for up to 4 nights plus Event Ticket (insurance) and Boater-X Entry to Washburn Boaterfest 2016 (if you park at the Woodyard; shuttle available).

• Individual Adult - Discounted (see description) - 20.00

Discounted for British Canoeing members and member of a formally-attending affiliated club (e.g. Open Canoe Association) - as your Membership saves US a total of 5 / head! Covers camping @ Ripon for up to 4 nights plus Event Ticket (insurance) and Boater-X Entry to Washburn Boaterfest 2016 (if you park at the Woodyard; shuttle available).

• Flying visit - Max 1 person, 1 night - 12.50

For anyone wanting a very brief "Big Camp" - a basic contribution to the running costs of the event. Includes an Event Ticket (insurance) for the weekend and Boater-X Entry to Washburn Boaterfest 2016 (if you park at the Woodyard; shuttle available).

If you've specific requirements not met by any of the above please get in touch!
    Last edited by GregandGinaS; 22nd-July-2016 at 11:30 AM.

I'm sorry I'm going to be missing this. I hope you all have a super time.

Looks good. I've made the thread a sticky till after the event. As I said in the discussion thread due to Jo's Chemo we can't camp and she probably can't paddle but we are looking into dog friendly accommodation locally to see if we can attend for a couple of days. It'll be a shame if we can't make it as it looks like it has something for everyone.
    John

Wow, you have put a huge amount of planning into this, really hope enough people are still planning on going!

I don't want to be the awkward one to ask the first question but.....

I had planned not to go boating that weekend (want to dry and pack my gear for the grand canyon), but with so much planned for the Washburn on the Sunday my plan is changing, and to be honest it is the combining with the National WWR event that tipped the balance, so my question is, does the BoaterX/Boaterfest entry also cover WWR entry or will I pay that separately to the WWR people on the day? I will no doubt be sprinting in K1 and OC1, but have yet to choose my boat for the classic race (probably the K1).

Now to work out if I need the individual or the flying visit.... I probably should drive down Friday and have a relaxed Saturday in the Apache, if I ever get gunwales sorted.

How hard can it be?

Sounds really good, genuinely sorry I'm in Sweden at that time. Lots of differing opportunities from gentle paddles to whitewater on offer, and the cost for a whole/long weekend is good value when compared to the Bala campsites. Thanks for organising Greg.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Looks great. I doubt there are enough days to cover everything mentioned. I hope to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitenoise View Post
    Looks great. I doubt there are enough days to cover everything mentioned.
    The Song-of-the-Paddle community is pretty diverse, and most folk are pretty independent...

...so I suspect folk will be here, there and everywhere doing whatever takes their fancy!

A bit of this...

And of this...

And of this...

But potentially much else!

Yes, we'll have plenty going on "on site" at Ripon on the Saturday... and then at The Washburn on the Sunday... but I don't doubt subsequent blogs will have feedback from all over the place!!!

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。

Hi Greg,

Couple of questions.

- Do members of the SCA or CW get the discount too?

- There's a two night family ticket but not a two night individual ticket?

- The individual adult ticket description says 'maximum 3 nights' on one line, but 'up to 4 nights' on the next?

Thanks.

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

Good questions...

1. The discount is to anyone covered by the requisite insurance... and yes, that includes members of Canoe Wales, the Scottish Canoe Association or the Canoe Association of Northern Ireland....
    2. Tickets are very much "up to" a certain number of days. The cost of two nights wouldn't be much different from the cost of 3-4 nights so I kept things simple!
    3. The mention of three nights is a typo: will sort ASAP!

Keep the questions coming as I'm sure there's more I could clarify or need to sort!

Thanks for the explanations, Greg.

Crow Trip Log

Spotted the obvious typo in my "Playday" image. Now corrected...

Currently wondering if we can get some of the region's Canoe Polo goals set up and get some of our top Polo players spinning around in circles in Coverts, etc

Quote Originally Posted by GregandGinaS View Post
    Good questions...

1. The discount is to anyone covered by the requisite insurance... and yes, that includes members of Canoe Wales, the Scottish Canoe Association or the Canoe Association of Northern Ireland....
    2. Tickets are very much "up to" a certain number of days. The cost of two nights wouldn't be much different from the cost of 3-4 nights so I kept things simple!
    3. The mention of three nights is a typo: will sort ASAP!

Keep the questions coming as I'm sure there's more I could clarify or need to sort!
    "Tickets are very much "up to" a certain number of days. The cost of two nights wouldn't be much different from the cost of 3-4 nights so I kept things simple!" ... so drop number of days entirely? ... trying to figure costing for 2x BCU Affiliated club members for Fri night/Sat/Sun ... poss Mon.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Clarification - our costs don't escalate much for folk like you who are members of an affiliated club... but they go bananas with families who are not!

Eventbrite is a further complication. With hindsight, perhaps best avoided... as it doesn't work well with a pay-per-day approach

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Can I check this is the ticket I would be eligible for. I have individual BCU membership and individual membership of White Rose canoe club in Leeds but nobody else in the family has membership will be applying to come with 2 adults and 2 children age 5 and 3.

Thanks

Ewan

Alternatively if not camping could I drive up for the day to paddle?

so we need to be members of a club and the BCU to come to this?
    If in doubt, hit it with a hammer!!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyads View Post
    so we need to be members of a club and the BCU to come to this?
    Not at all!

As organiser, I save 5 per head for everyone who can show some sort of affiliation... but EVERYONE'S WELCOME!

Quote Originally Posted by E_McNeill View Post
    Can I check this is the ticket I would be eligible for. I have individual BCU membership and individual membership of White Rose canoe club in Leeds but nobody else in the family has membership will be applying to come with 2 adults and 2 children age 5 and 3.
    This is an issue I'd already identified and I've raised it with Head Office. Tick the discounted option: I'll deal with the haggling over how much I have to pass on to Nottingham!

Not at all!

As organiser, I save 5 per head for everyone who can show some sort of affiliation... but EVERYONE'S WELCOME!

This is an issue I'd already identified and I've raised it with Head Office. Tick the discounted option: I'll deal with the haggling over how much I have to pass on to Nottingham!
    So, just to clarify Greg, is the 5 per person (per night?) that you save what they will charge for insurance? (I take it insurance can't be opted out of?)

And from what you're saying - it's ok to be a member of an affiliated club, you don't need to be an individual BCU member.

Thanks.

Crow Trip Log

OK - no-one needs to be a member of anything to attend the "Big Meet" - and as with any year, we're kinda expecting most folk will just book a "camping" spot and do their own thing.

Costs, even at "full" rate are minimal - less than most Yorkshire campgrounds.

For starters, we've a 12.50 option. We anticipate 5 going to insurance, and are including access to the Boater-X in that fee!

More generally, we've gone with:

• 25 For one adult for up to four nights of camping, etc.
    • 40 for up to three in a family for up to two nights camping, etc.
    • 55 for up to five in a family for up to four nights camping, etc.

Now we're hoping many can save us costs... and we're passing on savings:

• 5 off for one adult
    • 10 off for two adults + a youngster (or adult and two youngsters)
    • 15 off for family of five

At the moment, the only options to get that are membership of British Canoeing (which has other advantages) or membership of an affiliated Club / Association (e.g. the OCA).

The aim is to make an inexpensive weekend even cheaper

Ps. It's possible that by the time of the event we will even have sorted an option to keep the funds in Yorkshire rather than losing them... but that's another story!

As I've always been a bit think when it comes to matters financial, I'm finding this all a bit difficult to get my head around!

So we don't have to be a member of anything, but have to pay 5 extra if we're not? That extra 5 is for insurance? What insurance is it? Why is it necessary/obligatory?

Now we're hoping many can save us costs... and we're passing on savings:
    Who are 'the many' and how can they save 'us' costs? Who is 'us'?

It's possible that by the time of the event we will even have sorted an option to keep the funds in Yorkshire rather than losing them
    What constitutes 'the funds'? Do the fees we pay to attend not go fully and directly to the owners of the campsite?
    Juvanile delinkwit, vaguely faffing around with a pair of pliers. Du skal ikke tro at du er bedre end mig!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhopper View Post
    Who are 'the many' and how can they save 'us' costs? Who is 'us'? [...] What constitutes 'the funds'? Do the fees we pay to attend not go fully and directly to the owners of the campsite?
    The "us" is a network of volunteers who work to promote canoeing in Yorkshire: representatives from different groups and clubs plus other enthusiasts who between them run everything from the canoeing that took place at the recent Leeds Waterfront Festival (where hundreds tried canoeing and assorted teams had a canoe polo tournament in the middle of Leeds DocK) through to the folk who are looking after youngsters in the alps and who'll be running a ten day training camp in Scotland almost as soon as they get back.

The "us" are the folk who manage "The Washburn" so that Yorkshire Water will release huge volumes of water down a tiny ditch to facilitate year-round canoeing. It's the folk who look after the land at Ripon so that canoeists have somewhere to launch / land and to wild camp, and so we have a voice in any discussions between local riparian owners - and it's the folk who are working with assorted partners to ensure what when the UKs largest Archimedean screw turbine and new fish pass are installed at Linton Lock, we also get a great venue for canoeists.

The insurance is because all of this volunteer effort would stop overnight if we believed volunteering our services could leave us exposed to losing our homes and everything else in the event of a screw-up and the way to keep the funds in Yorkshire (supporting this network of volunteers) is to set up an inexpensive "membership" association which means we get our insurance for rather less than is currently available.

Ps. We own the campsite, but our insurance (to host others) only covers us for folk who are themselves insured.

Many thanks for the attempt to explain it to me, Greg. I'm now resigned to the fact that I'll probably never understand what it's all about!
    Juvanile delinkwit, vaguely faffing around with a pair of pliers. Du skal ikke tro at du er bedre end mig!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhopper View Post
    Many thanks for the attempt to explain it to me, Greg. I'm now resigned to the fact that I'll probably never understand what it's all about!
    Bottom line - it doesn't really matter what's going on behind the scenes!

Key thing is we all turn up, enjoy each others company, do our own thing and go away reckoning it was a good meet!

I tried to contact the booking agents to ascertain whether a small caravan would be permissible on the field.

That was 3 days ago and no reply.

So... Is a caravan permitted in lieu of a tent?
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

I don't mind caravans but I will confirm the regulations...

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Me View Post
    My (financial) self-esteem has been restored somewhat by the fact that my wife, an accountant of many years experience, has just read through it all, and she doesn't understand it either!

Quote Originally Posted by David Perry View Post
    The good news is that as landowners we can allow camping (tents) for up to 28 days in a year. The less good news is that caravans appears to be a whole other ball game... and comes under the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960. Source: here.

Bottom line: unless we can get some sort of exemption, caravans would have to go to the nearby caravan site: Riverside Meadows.

Ps. If someone can come up with a way around this then let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by David Perry View Post
    I tried to contact the booking agents to ascertain whether a small caravan would be permissible on the field.

That was 3 days ago and no reply.

Do you want us to take a spare tent?

Following some discussions today, it's looking promising for everyone to be able to take the discounted option!

Not yet confirmed... but 99% sure

Quote Originally Posted by John P View Post
    Do you want us to take a spare tent?
    Thanks, but no thanks. I've tents enough. But I will have just finished leading a 17 day Coast to Coast walk nd I really don't fancy the idea of camping the day after I get back.
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

Is this a "Song Of The Paddle" "big meet" or a pre-existing club event to which sotp members are being "allowed" to attend? it's not just the pricing that's a bit confusing.

Now paddling Either a Gumotex Palava 400 Or a Gumotex Solar Pro 410c and LOVING IT!

100% Song of the Paddle "Big Meet"... and the discounted prices will apply to one and all for everything except boating at The Washburn

Just arrived in Mallaig for the Knoydart meet. Will update the Eventbrite page asap.

just booked for the big meet for Friday and Saturday night. first time at any SOTP social or meet up. really looking forward to meeting up with some of you.

Hi Greg - great to meet you and the clan in Knoydart.

Did mention about the Big Meet, but just found out I'm on petsitting duties that week. So - confirming my non-attendance.

Hope everything goes to plan.

Basic 2-persons (plus presumably optional kiddie) still showing as "for a maximum of 2 nights" on Eventbrite.
    Everything else shows as up to 4 nights.
    Is this an error ... will it be corrected ... if we get an up to 2 night permit can we stay 3 nights?

caravans appears to be a whole other ball game... and comes under the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960. Source: here.

Ps. If someone can come up with a way around this then let me know!
    An apology is sometimes easier than permission refused. I am guessing that if you park a caravan for a weekend, the local authority will complain at you whereupon you apologise and promise not to repeat. Just don't make a habit of it.

OK - I've updated the Eventbrite system to show that...

for the Ripon side of the weekend, discounted rates are open to absolutely everyone!

Other changes: "
    Basic" option now covers up to 3 nights... "Plus" option now covers up to 5 nights... "Flying Visit" can now be had for 7.50!

Quote Originally Posted by Booking System

Basic Family - Weekend Camping @ Ripon - Maximum 3 nights for 2 adults + 1 youngster - 40.00

Weekend only - Covers 2-3 family members camping @ Ripon for a maximum of 3 nights plus Event Ticket (insurance) and Boater-X Entry to Washburn Boaterfest 2016 (if you park at the Woodyard; shuttle available).[/COLOR]

Basic Family - 2/3 nights - Discounted (see description) - 30.00

Discounted Ticket Covers ANY GROUP OF 2-3 FAMILY MEMBERS camping @ Ripon for a maximum of 3 nights.

Ticket ALSO covers Boater-X entry for those who have insurance through British Canoeing membership / membership of a formally-attending affiliated club (e.g. Open Canoe Association).

Family Plus - up to 5 nights for up to 2 adults + 3 Youngsters - 55.00
    up to 4 Days
    Covers up to 2 adults and 3 youngsters camping @ Ripon for up to 5 nights plus Event Ticket (insurance) and Boater-X Entry to Washburn Boaterfest 2016 (if you park at the Woodyard; shuttle available).

Family Plus - up to 5 nights - Discounted (see description) - 45.00

Discounted "Plus" option - covers up to 2 adults and 3 youngsters camping @ Ripon for up to 5 nights.

Ticket ALSO covers Boater-X entry for those who have insurance through British Canoeing membership / membership of a formally-attending affiliated club (e.g. Open Canoe Association).

Individual Adult - up to 4 Days of Camping @ Ripon - 25.00

Covers camping @ Ripon for up to 5 nights plus Event Ticket (insurance) and Boater-X Entry to Washburn Boaterfest 2016 (if you park at the Woodyard; shuttle available).

Individual Adult - up to 4 Days - Discounted (see description) - 20.00

Discounted - covers ANY individual camping @ Ripon for up to 5 nights.

Ticket ALSO covers Boater-X entry for those who have insurance through British Canoeing membership / membership of a formally-attending affiliated club (e.g. Open Canoe Association.

Flying visit - Max 1 person, 1 night - 12.50

For anyone wanting a very brief "Big Camp" - a basic contribution to the running costs of the event. Includes an Event Ticket (insurance) for the weekend and Boater-X Entry to Washburn Boaterfest 2016 (if you park at the Woodyard; shuttle available).

Discounted Flying visit - Max 1 person, 1 night - 7.50

For anyone wanting a very brief "Big Camp" - a basic contribution to the running costs of the event.

Ticket ALSO covers Boater-X entry for those who have insurance through British Canoeing membership / membership of a formally-attending affiliated club (e.g. Open Canoe Association.
    I could put up yet more options covering every possible permutation for every possible attendee... but hopefully that gives a range of options which allows everyone to contribute fairly to the costs we're incurring in hosting everyone

I'm booked in ... a note for the (likewise) terminally befuddled ... the Eventbright booking system requires credit/debit card info, not PayPal, it also gives you only 8 minutes to in tap your details before ejecting you from the booking system to allow younger and more computer savvy paddlers to nip in quick and pinch your spot.
    Having started the timer by pressing "Checkout" or whatever, I then had to go in search of my wallet, it's in the car, no it wasn't , found it . Quickly tapping in my details, my address, billing address (why can't I just click as above, it's the same ... no I have to tap it in again ) Credit card details, security number ... nearly there ... press the button to confirm my order ... I've missed a required field ... a couple of clicks and I'll be done and you've guessed it, it timed me out ... Eventbright
    Having everything now to hand the second attempt was a doddle.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Hi,
    We are hoping to come to this and meet up with fellow SOTP paddlers, but are only free from Friday lunchtime till Saturday afternoon....what time can we arrive on Friday please, and is there a programme of things happening on the Friday? We have to depart by about 2pm on the Saturday, so am also wondering if we would not really be able to participate in the Sat activities unless there's stuff happening in the morning? Would we need more than a "flying visit" ticket each? All advice gratefully received.
    Nick&Nicola

Quote Originally Posted by Nick&Nicola View Post
    We are [...] only free from Friday lunchtime till Saturday afternoon....what time can we arrive on Friday please
    The "Big Meet" is basically folk getting together for a great weekend with one another... but the site at Ripon is there all year round. Folk can arrive this weekend if they like... though water and toilets will not be arriving until next week!

We're likely to be on site from Thursday evening. The "programme" is generally what folk make up as they go along... but if we've got people on site you can guarantee something will be happening!

On the Friday, I could do a shuttle if folk wanted it, and if the rivers are up that could perhaps be on the Wharf / Swale. Let's see who's interested in doing what!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick&Nicola View Post
    We have to depart by about 2pm on the Saturday [..] Would we need more than a "flying visit" ticket each?
    All I'm looking for is a bit of a contribution from all concerned to cover our costs in setting up the site: grass cutting, toilets and so on. For what you want, a "Flying Visit" ticket would appear a fair contribution. If you end up feeling you should have contributed more, I'm sure we'll have someone taking contributions on site!

Wow, I can see a lot of people are really confused. I can't explain the price structure but maybe some of the rest?

The big meet in Ripon will be a typical SOTP event, but instead of using a commercial campsite, it will be on a piece of land owned by BC Yorkshire region.

Greg who is organising things, is part of OCA and BC Yorkshire region, hence having the knowledge to get the site, but it means he wears many hats which is going to confuse people!

In order to have people camping on BC land, they need to be covered by the BC insurance - this insurance has multiple angles which people don't always realise. There is a third party element which means if the individual causes an accident and gets sued they are covered, but it also includes and element where the people organising stuff on behalf of BC (and this is on their behalf because it is their land) are also covered in case a participant suffers some kind of injury that could be inferred the responsibility of the organising team, something like perhaps slipping on a patch of mud and breaking an ankle - something quite feasible on any campsite in a typical British summer.

The normal way to get BC insurance is to be a member of BC (Or is it Canoe England?), SCA, WCA or CANI. There is also a clause written into BC's main policy for event cover (which is what is needed for camping) which covers them for a member of an affiliated club, so if you have joined a club which is affiliated to BC,SCA, WCA or CANI, you don't need to be a full member of any of the associations in order for the organisers to be covered. Whether you have personal 3rd party liability cover I am unsure, but the organisers have it for their liability to you. If you are not in either an affiliated club or direct member of a national association, you can buy a BC day membership to provide the necessary insurance cover, this is what the 5 is/was for.

Presumably Greg has now managed to get something negotiated with the BC insurers to allow people who aren't members of clubs or associations also covered by the BC insurance so they can camp on the field without having to buy day memberships, or perhaps he has found additionally funds to pay the day memberships without charging you - either way its a great result.

If you don't want white water, there is no need to read any further - your weekend is all covered above.
    If you do want to paddle some whitewater you might want to try to get your head around the rest....

BC Yorkshire organise the Washburn releases and Greg chose the weekend such that SOTPers could also use the Washburn if they want to. The weekend was already down for the WWR National Championship, but the WWR community are really friendly and somehow Greg has negotiated to share the release with them and it seems a Washburn Boaterfest has spun off as a by-product, including a BoaterX race - your SOTP weekend booking includes entry to the Washburn boaterfest and BoaterX race if you want to have a go, BUT because that part is actually a paddling event organised directly by Yorkshire Region you will need to be a member of either an affiliated club, or national association to be able to take part - for this, a 5 day membership for just that day can be used.

The Boaterfest includes time to just mess about on the top half of the river during the morning, plus a boaterX race in the afternoon for anyone who is interested - I know a lot of the SOTP fringe of OC1 paddlers are heading over especially for the BoaterX, it should be a good laugh watching us tripping each other up down the course, and we are hoping to get to laugh at some of the trad boaters doing the same. There should be quite a good gathering of OC1s and I'm sure all the guys will be happy to let people try them out. Robin Hood Watersports will also have some demos (canoes, kayaks and SOTs I think) available at the dam.

The WWR national championship obviously needs to run to the normal WWR rules (full national association membership probably needed, I'll try to check) and the WWR committee need fees to cover prizes etc. so I think that would be at extra cost on the day. WWR is a time trial format unlike BoaterX which is head to head racing, many WWR paddlers have started taking an interest in BoaterX so it is expected there will be some cross-pollination with WWRers entering the BoaterX and Canoeists entering one or both of the WWR events (In the sprint event you get 2 timed runs over about 200m or river and your best time counts, in the Classic event you are timed over a full decent from the dam to the reservoir). Although you may be envisaging odd shaped WWR kayaks or C1s, absolutely any boat is welcome to enter WWR events, I have entered in the past in open canoe and an old general purpose kayak, although I do now have a WWR kayak which I will be using. The registration form lists lots of different types of boats, as long as a few boats enter the same class, they will be classified together and maybe even get some prizes - I would think if 5 trad boats entered as open canoes, the top 3 would get prizes or trophies and they would not be compared with the much faster WWR C1's. OC1s and trad boats might get classified together.
    As long as there is enough time, I will probably try to enter the Sprint in both WWR K1 and OC1, and the Classic in WWR K1 only, in addition to having some fun in OC1 and doing the BoaterX in it....

BUT, if you are not into WW, you can go to the Big Meet and not have anything at all to do with the Washburn day and not have to be a member of a national association of an affiliated club - I expect most people will be taking this option?

Greg - I apologise for not booking anything yet, as I mentioned on Friday I am still swithering about whether to slalom race at Fairnilee on the Tweed on Saturday and then on to camp at Ripon for Washburn Sunday, or just to go to Ripon Friday evening and chill out in my trad boat on the Saturday. As soon as I finish repairing the gunwales on my trad boat (snapped in another place getting ready to oil them before re-fitting - short term cut out the rot and plan to replace in future isn't going so well) I will experiment with what combinations of boats I can load up .

How hard can it be?

What is the situation with licenses to paddle on English waters?
    I'm Scottish, and a member of an SCA Affiliated club, but not a member of anything else and have not bought any kind of license for English waters. Do I need to do anything to be able to paddle?

Hi. A couple of us just want to come over for the day, not camping. Do we need to book?

Quote Originally Posted by firedfromthecircus View Post
    What is the situation with licenses to paddle on English waters?
    I'm Scottish, and a member of an SCA Affiliated club, but not a member of anything else and have not bought any kind of license for English waters. Do I need to do anything to be able to paddle?
    Excellent question - which I passed on to higher authorities earlier today! I will sort something out by the time you get here... but not sure what!

Quote Originally Posted by zendog68 View Post
    Hi. A couple of us just want to come over for the day, not camping. Do we need to book?
    Booking would be good as I can get a sense of numbers and (if necessary) order in additional facilities and water! A couple of "Flying Visit" tickets would give us a small contribution to our costs.

If you turn up on the day we'll doubtless have someone taking a minor visitor's fee... but life's a lot easier with all the admin stuff done online!

Many thanks Greg. I'll work out how many coming and do the "Flying Visit Tickets"
    cheers
    PB

Currently planning to come up to join you for a day paddle on either Saturday Sunday or Monday.

what flat water options are there likely to be for an open boat with kids on those days?

Thanks

Ewan

As much as we would really like to come to this I just can't see it working out. It is just too soon after Jo's next chemo session for her to be up to traveling that far so it is better to say we can't make it now rather than saying last minute.
    John

The "Big Meet" is basically folk getting together for a great weekend with one another... but the site at Ripon is there all year round. Folk can arrive this weekend if they like... though water and toilets will not be arriving until next week!

We're likely to be on site from Thursday evening. The "programme" is generally what folk make up as they go along... but if we've got people on site you can guarantee something will be happening!

On the Friday, I could do a shuttle if folk wanted it, and if the rivers are up that could perhaps be on the Wharf / Swale. Let's see who's interested in doing what!

All I'm looking for is a bit of a contribution from all concerned to cover our costs in setting up the site: grass cutting, toilets and so on. For what you want, a "Flying Visit" ticket would appear a fair contribution. If you end up feeling you should have contributed more, I'm sure we'll have someone taking contributions on site!
    Thanks very much!

On typical SOTP terms, shouldn't we start a who's going list? Does not feel a true meet otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyads View Post
    On typical SOTP terms, shouldn't we start a who's going list? Does not feel a true meet otherwise!
    Good plan and you are right a big plus of the SOTP meets is the "Who's going" list ... and then the "who's actually booked with the campsite to go" list ...
    So who's booked to go? Here's a starter ...

Potty +1
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Default Who's going?

Quote Originally Posted by Potty Paddler View Post

Potty +1
    Al - Saturday and Sunday

Potty +1
    Al - Saturday and Sunday
    Cankay (Fri eve-Sun pm) - booked
    Jewels666 (Fri eve-Sun pm) - booked

Though I kinda have to confess I'm still not 100% sure what we're booked on for - i.e. is there a nice big group paddle down flatish water on the Sat? Is a group ground fire permitted - or off the group fire pits

Quote Originally Posted by cankay.org.uk View Post
    is there a nice big group paddle down flatish water on the Sat? Is a group ground fire permitted - or off the group fire pits
    Options about for paddling on flatish water on ANY day, and several canoeists who know the area like the back of their hand have been giving me details of recommended options. Better still, most of them will be attending... and we should have 2-3 trailers on site to use with shuttles... so no matter who wants to do what (or what the water levels) options should be plentiful.

One recommendation for the Saturday would be a trip down the river and back up the canal. This would finish just down the road... and with a trailer and my 8 seater on hand we should be able to get everyone back in a matter of minutes.

Start would be this bit:

Quote Originally Posted by Draft SotP "Big Meet" Guide - River Ure
    Launch: Ripon BC site SE177 719

Access here is between a simple bridge rapid and a shingle rapid leading below the A61 road bridge. Downstream leads to a simple riffle on the Bell Banks bend (1km downstream of A61) that is great for practicing moving water skills including poling, tracking and lining.

Further flat/G1 water leads to Hewick Bridge that is best shot close to middle but can be shallow in low water and may damage fragile boats (wading and lining in entirely feasible).

A nice fast shoot on the river right after Hewick bridge leads to a gradual slowing of the river and its transformation from a natural river into a managed Navigation. Options for egress are Westwick Lock or a return trip up the Ripon Canal.
    Turning right at the confluence would put folk on the Canal:

Quote Originally Posted by Draft SotP "Big Meet" Guide - Ripon Canal
    Access / Egress: numerous places in Ripon. Best either at the Lock Basin in Ripon (follow road signs for Canal Trips) or at the car park near Ripon Racecourse/Ripon Marina. Free parking at both.

The canal gives around 4km of water ranging from Urban to picturesque and quiet. Two locks on the canal and a third where it joins the River Ure must be portaged rather than ‘locked’ due to the low water feed to the canal from the River Skel.

Continuing past Oxclose Lock puts the paddler on to the River Ure with around 2 km of flat water to explore upstream before riffles impede progress and around 3km of flat water downstream to the cutting that leads to Westwick lock.

Of course, at the confluence, a choice is offered downstream:

Quote Originally Posted by Draft SotP "Big Meet" Guide - River Ure - Westwick to Boroughbridge

Access: Westwick lock SE355 667 - Drive down the track/bridleway off the Boroughbridge road approx 3km east of Bishopmonkton. Limited parking (6 cars) and make sure to keep on hard stand if the ground is wet.

5km of flat water lead to Boroughbridge Roundabout SE 395 671 - Ample parking for 12+ vehicles that allow access on to the water via the Milby Cut.

I've started adding this detail to a card on Bing Maps. See http://binged.it/2aVfuTe

Ps. Fireboxes will not be a problem. We may even clear a patch for a fire on the ground. Maybe something for the early arrivals on Friday to sort

Is there any water for beginner WW paddlers to try? I've do a couple of grade 2 riffles but it would be nice to get a bit more under my belt especially with the experience of some of the paddlers attending.

Being a gardener im sure i can stick a spade in the van to dig out a pit for a fire.
    Im still yet to confirm yet as work is hectic at the minute, it will be a late decision looking at my diary.

Quote Originally Posted by cankay.org.uk View Post
    Potty +1
    Al - Saturday and Sunday

Though I kinda have to confess I'm still not 100% sure what we're booked on for - i.e. is there a nice big group paddle down flatish water on the Sat? Is a group ground fire permitted - or off the group fire pits
    John P and Mrs P (Friday eve to Sun pm) booked

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the quick response - looks good - great that is now so soon too :-)

Cheers
    Jon

Potty +1
    Al - Saturday and Sunday

Potty +1 (Fri eve - Mon am) booked
    Al - Saturday and Sunday
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

I would like to add to the list, don't know how. can whoever add on:-
    Ricogee + 1(fri eve to sun pm) booked

Quote Originally Posted by ricogee View Post
    I would like to add to the list, don't know how. can whoever add on:-
    Hi Ricogee, it's easy ... just copy the list on the previous post on the thread, paste it to your post and tag yourself on ... it's important that folks realise that tagging onto this list doesn't mean you are booked in, that has to be done via Eventbright as detailed above, but it does let our SOTP community know that you'll be there ... see you shortly ... Mike.

Potty +1 (Fri eve - Mon am) booked

Al - Saturday and Sunday

DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

I'm interested in going - was already going to the BoaterX day at the Washburn.

But I have confused myself with the prices. If I choose a "Flying visit" this works out as 12.50 and gives me camping Sat Night and the Boater X Event.

But if I choose "Individual Adult" it costs 25.00. Am I being stupid here - what does the extra 12.50 give me - access to Sat Day Stuff?

I am not challenging prices, just wanted to see what options are available before I book.

Thanks in advance,

James.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast