Thread: Warning! River Nene between Elton Lock and Nassington Weir Cut Through

Default Warning! River Nene between Elton Lock and Nassington Weir Cut Through

Hello All,

Have just joined the site to get recommendations for new routes, after a great weekends paddling, putting in at Islip, paddling through to Fotheringhay, Overnight Camp, onto Nassington the following day.

20/07/16

Just wanted to warn anyone planning on doing this route that in between Elton Lock and Nassington, there is a weir on the right hand side and cut through that brings you out downstream of Yarwell Lock, thus cutting out Nassington all together. We were originally going to carry on through to Wansford and after discussion, thought that the cut through might be interesting so we got out at the weir and proceeded.

Starts out okay, but then narrows and due to the amount of reed enclosure creates some very tight and dangerous turns, that are made more hairy, by the route being little more than a boats width in places and some dangerous bramble overhangs on the tight corners, that will have you capsize if you are not careful, plus the water is running faster through these turns due to the narrowing of the river - still pulling thorns out of my hands two days later!

About a third of the way into this, there is a tree that has fell into the water totally blocking the route, the amount and depth of the reed to the sides of this stretch make a portage very difficult, so we had to make our way back to the lock and carry on, on the main part of the river, where due to the sheer amount of energy used to get through the obstacles of the cut through we decided to cut short and have a pint at the Queens Head in Nassington.

I would imagine that this cut through would be good in winter or early spring when there is less reed, but until then please avoid this cut through - it is dangerous!

Thanks

Newby Question Sorry.

Just started canoeing and I have been spending a bit of time on the water upstream from Peterborough and I have found a few little cuts that look fine on google earth but in reality are almost blocked My question is, Would it be reasonable to carry a pruning saw and cut a way through. Is it like a public footpath on land? I tried to get up Black Dike this morning with a view of avoiding the the lock. I managed to force my way past a fallen tree and lots of trapped rubbish to find it was too shallow in places so I gave up and turned back. It would have been no hardship to prune off a couple of small dead branches and release some of the trapped junk. Making it a lot easier for the next person to try.

Richard

Lots of people paddling moving water already carry some type of saw to help out if an entrapment happens.

I have been known to take my Duluth saw if I think that there might be blockage problems on some of the smaller streams to make mine and future passages easier.

I take the view that trimming a few branches to allow passage is fine, but that I shouldn't significantly alter the character of that bit of river.

Many thanks for such a quick reply Sutchy. I will add a saw to the rapidly increasing pile of "Stuff" to take with me on future paddles.

Richard

Hi Mal,

I take your point. My idea was to make the nearly possible a little bit easier and maybe safer . I have no intention of digging trees out of the bank or anything like that.

Richard

I have paddled this route today and the tree is still there.

Make no mistake, this is a potential killer and even in summer flows the reed banks constrict the flow and will speed you into danger.

I have emailed the EA today with a recommendation they close the canoe route until the tree is removed.

We got through river right but this option will disappear with the reeds as summer arrives.
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

I have not seen this tree but would it be possible for a couple of us with bow saws make an impact on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard2 View Post
    I have not seen this tree but would it be possible for a couple of us with bow saws make an impact on it.
    I doubt it.

The tree is end-on rather than across the river. The scene that presents is the bottom of the root ball about 10' - 12' diameter sitting in the middle of a narrow channel with large roots sticking out towards the left hand bank which I presume it fell from.

It will need a crane or large excavating gear in my opinion.
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

I have been told that the EA have now put up a warning notice at the top end of this backwater.

Dick, to help folk know where this is, can you confirm its this backwater?

http://www.paddlepoints.net?PP=5768

(Just to avoid confusion with the small slow water backwater close to Nassington village)

Cheers

The long backwater to the east of the main channel where it says Weir in centre of screenshot - not the little backwater to the west near Nassington which leads to the Queens Head Inn (not that you'd be interested in that Mal!)

Moi?

Yes, thought so, the one where I had to deploy an interesting quick release painter system last time I did it, when getting in alone right by the weir.

The backwater remains closed but the EA are aware that we have done some work to clear safe passages either side of the main tree.

See http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...529#post652529

However, be aware that in summer the reeds narrow the channels into speedy little runs so it won't necessarily look like it does now.

There are a couple of minor blockages either side of the weir but neither should present problems to competent paddlers.

We await the EA's decision to open the portage platform or not.

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...035#post658035

Backwater paddled successfully despite EA still showing a closure notice at the upstream portage.

It's reeded up in places but there's still a clear channel river left at the fallen tree.

Of the two minor blockages reported above, the one above the weir has gone and the one below was paddled over.

Just be aware that the reeds channel the flow into very speedy runs that can put you broadside on to a bush but nothing to worry a reasonably competent and careful paddler.

I'll get on to the EA to see if they just forgot to take the sign down.