Thread: Last minute.com - Pimm's Paddles & Pith Helmets!

Post Last minute.com - Pimm's Paddles & Pith Helmets!

Henley Festival - Night Paddle - Saturday 9th July 2016 - Yes, this Saturday!
    Fireworks & Fizz!

It makes for good evening!

If you're interested, then meet at Aston slipway. Which can be found some 900m north of Remenham Hill off of the A4130, 1 km to the East of Henley On Thames. Signposted for Aston and the Flowerpot Pub. Drive on down past the pub until your ashtrays are full of river water, and then you're there!

Get there early, and be ready to paddle off by 5pm. Leaving vehicles at our own risk at the slipway and heading upstream through Hambledon lock to the festival area/ floating stage/ Angel on the Bridge public house for re-sustenance purposes! Prior then to taking in a evenings entertainment afloat performed by the classical trio Blake, with special guest Dame Shirley Bassey and the BBC Concert Orchestra 'knockin' it out' from the floating stage. Along with all manner of other visual entertainment and intrigue that can only be had by/ accessed by canoe...whilst of course dodging the usual gin palaces and other classic Thames craft that evening- Best to bring a camera!

Apres fireworks, there's an option then of an overnight stop 'under the stars' nearby utilising individual tarps, swags or small tents (unfortunately no trees for hammocks) If planning to stop overnight be sure to have 7 -10 ready to pay the man in the morning. If not planning to stop over that night and return to the slipway, the lock is open until midnight that night. But best to confirm this during the paddle upstream to avoid any tears!

If planning to stop overnight you will need all your creature comforts, along with your fireboxes/ a means by which to crucify decent food and large amounts of Black Pudding and Bacon, as 'tis the custom in these here parts!

Naturally, I'll be overloading my boat with all manner of applicable festival paraphernalia once again, along with applicable fare for such an event . You may wish to do the same, but it's not obligatory...

Whereas headdress is!

It's Pith Helmets!
    If you haven't got one (yet!) then knotted hankies will be accepted this year...

My apologies for such short notice - as chaos these days is just the norm!

MB
    It's too late to reply by postcard!

Fran and I did this trip in 2014 and it was a great night out, and it was just as badly planned as this one!

Hey. I reckon I can juggle stuff about and make this. Would be interested in an overnighter. The pith helmet still hasn't had a run out...
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

OK, juggling done, definitely up for this. Will bring small tarp for encampment and sleep under that.

I'll polish my Pith helmet tonight

See you at Aston!

3 hours more notice and I could have joined you, the Pith helmet can stay in it's box well until next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirus View Post
    3 hours more notice and I could have joined you, the Pith helmet can stay in it's box well until next time.
    Your Country Needs You!

Shame you can't make it, but I'm sure there will be other future assaults where we take the Pith...

Helmet acquired, see you there.

Robin
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Sorry mate - bit too late notice for me too... other plans made on my behalf

Have fun....
    If I could only paddle like a doggie oughta paddle

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

I shall attempt to join the foray, possibly late. Tomorrow I am joining a select bunch paddling a 'cruise' to mark the re-opening of the waterways around the Olympic Park in East London.

We should be off the water around 2 p.m, but I'm not sure how long it will take me to get to Aston, so don't wait around for me - I'm sure I'll be able to find you all
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

"Message fresh in from the front Sir! "

Apparently, the Pimm's is now packed, along with the roast beef in preparation for the baps, and something there along the lines of 'Champagne ain't Champagne unless it's accompanied by Pork Crackling!'

Seems to be a bit of problem picking up the sliced Dill Pickles at the mo, but nothing that we haven't overcome before.
    May have to parachute in a jar or two if push comes to shove.

As far as I can see, I think our man on the ground has it all under control, and the mission is now a go situation!

Bon Chance Mes Amis!
    Keep yer paddles wet, and powder dry....

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。

Henley's a bit scary for me, Mark, and besides I had an appointment with the bowels of Bass Rock yesterday.

One of these years...

But I've seen the advance pics of this one, and you all look great!

Looking forward to the blog.

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

Many thanks to Mark for organising this and letting me go with them at the last moment despite being incorrectly attired - must have a word with the stores wallah (or ebay) and do better next time.
    Loved the roast beef freshly carved at the riverside.
    Not sure whether we got any photos of climbing the fence to get to the pub.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jeff-d View Post
    Many thanks to Mark for organising this and letting me go with them at the last moment despite being incorrectly attired - must have a word with the stores wallah (or ebay) and do better next time.
    Loved the roast beef freshly carved at the riverside.
    Not sure whether we got any photos of climbing the fence to get to the pub.

Jeff
    Good to meet you Jeff. You got out before it got messy....

Going over the wall is something any British trooper should be ready to attempt.

Photos eventually...

Up and at 'em boys (and girls!)

I can feel a Safari themed week-end coming on now....

The Egret has landed...
    Keep yer paddles wet, and powder dry....

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Superb!