Thread: Tay Descent - 22/10/16

Default Tay Descent - 22/10/16

So,

In a moment of madness last night, I decided I'd sign up for the Tay Descent this year. Solo open, untimed - touring, the full 24 miles.

Anyone from here going and wouldn't mind showing a tag-a-long the way down? (I'm particuarly interested in where all the chicken shoots are. )

Or does anyone fancy it?

http://canoescotland.org/events/high...y-descent-2016

22.50 with BCU membership, including shuttle bus back from Perth, soup and sandwich and a T-Shirt!

For me its a once in a life time event, and I've done it in high water, but I'll happily discuss the dificult sections. First you should watch all the utubes, and then we can sing from the same sheet.
    and no, I've not tired of the new boat which I haven't even collected yet.

Peter

Impcanoe

Quote Originally Posted by Impcanoe View Post
    For me its a once in a life time event, and I've done it in high water, but I'll happily discuss the dificult sections. First you should watch all the utubes, and then we can sing from the same sheet.
    and no, I've not tired of the new boat which I haven't even collected yet.

Peter

Impcanoe
    Cheers Peter. I'll get my research done and be sure to pick your brains over the next couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by Per View Post
    Anyone from here going and wouldn't mind showing a tag-a-long the way down?
    I suspect a fair few SoTP folk will be operating as "sweepers"... which basically means accompanying folk down.

Fundamentally, most of it is straightforward... and the bits that are even a little more challenging (mostly near the end) over overseen by safety teams.

Ps. Last year's race was won in a K2 sprint / marathon boat!

My recollection was that from the last "exciting" bit to the end, against a strong head wind, seemed a bl**dy long way! and I found the exciting bits very exciting. The water conditions at Hell Hole were more difficult than any I have encountered before or since. What seemed like random depth charge explosions filled the boat and I had to land and empty
    Also, in no way in the nature of a complaint, a marshal told us one chicken shoot was closed, only for the various videos to show it wasn't. People were helpful and encouraging, supportive and great rescuers,

The Tay has just enough water year round, I would suggest trying to get a trip up there before hand and run the interesting bit (Campsie Linn to Thistlebrig, paddle/pole/portage upstream from the put in to get to Campsie Linn) a couple of times to get an idea of what it all looks like.

If it is low, land and look at the chutes on Stanley weir - you want the middle one and always have, so learning where it is and how to identify it is key both to a fast line, and currently to safe line since last winter's floods have exposed some more spikes around other chutes. These are apparantly not re-bar as we always thought, there is only a thin skim of concrete over pinned rocks - these are actually the pins that are starting to get exposed and some of them look pretty sharp! Check out the updates on UKRGB and SCA website for an idea. The recent ones have been ground off already but more may be exposed at any time, and I suspect thhey will be the main safety headache for the organising team now!

http://canoescotland.org/news/stanley-weir-spike-update
    http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/f...p?f=27&t=91768

How hard can it be?

I'll be tagging along somewhere making sure everyone is happy.

A smooth steady paddling pace will see you down the course in fine time.

Make sure you can paddle straight, and choose a suitable line (on the less windy side usually).

If you can have a map (waterproofed), and a (rough) time plan, then you'll be able to check of your progress and won't feel despondent on the long legs. The tortoise wins!

Philip

I may do it again this year. I've done it every year except the first. However, since the canoe show isn't on the attraction of the whole affair is downgraded for me. I usually do full course solo. Though last year I went with my daughter took too many breaks and interruptions and ran up my slowest time - and capsized after all the obstacles. The major factor is the height of water, when its high it's scary, when its low its rocky and scary. The Tay Descent is 90% pretty ordinary paddling with 10% white knuckle ride. My heart rate goes up when I think of fishermans bend.... a place I have seen fear and been round in and out of a boat. BTW, you will be timed, unless you arrive after 4pm.

Have another look at the shuttle arrangements. Not as user friendly as when I did it, and its a before shuttle, not an after.

Impcanoe

Cheers for the advice and tips so far guys.

Peter: I've booked the shuttle, but not sure I fancy such an early start. My auntie and uncle live in Dundee, so I may rope them in for shuttle driving services.