Thread: Leeboard size

Default Leeboard size

Hi all,

Recently got set up with a Mirror Dinghy Jib sail, had it out for it's maiden voyage at the weekend.
    Despite the traffic (found myself in the midst of a dozen or so 30' yachts, jet skiiers, speedboats etc.) the sailing rig seemed to perform quite well.

Given my level of experience, I'm never too sure if it's my technique or my equipment.
    Which brings me to my question................

Solway Dory leeboard dimensions (they do a few but this is the one I was looking at) says 8" wide and 4'4" long.
    The flop over leeboard I have made is nowhere near that big and am now thinking my leeboard is too small.
    Don't have exact dims but it would be the same width, but only about 3' long.

I'm guessing - not enough board to combat the jib sail?
    Mirror Dinghy jib sail is about 20 sq'

If you are using just the jib at 20sqft then your leeboard size doesn't sound far off what you need. it's a fairly small rig to be fair - what canoe is it on?

if you reckon the performance is not what you want, then other things may come into it, such as location of rig and leeboard - both in the boat and relative to each other, shape and angle of the board in use etc etc. any pictures would be helpful to assist diagnosis.

The flip over leeboard doesnt need to be as large as a fixed leeboard. When we made them they were around 39inches long and worked ok with the smaller rigs that we sold. The fixed leeboard is longer as it needs to be able to work on the upwind side which comes out of the water somewhat as the boat heels with the pressure of the wind. The fixed leeboards that we make are 8inch wide and 4ft 4inches long. but that includes a 10inch handle.

Leeboard is lashed to the centre thwart, with the mast fitted to the bow seat.
    It's a 15' Wenonah Prospector.

If the leeboard is adequate, it must be me then that's causing the issues.
    I'll just have to go out and practice more.......darn