Thread: Piper at The Gates of Dawn

Default Piper at The Gates of Dawn

For insomniacs and early risers. Peter R and me are planning to take advantage of mid summer and settled weather for an early morning trip down the Trent from Stone on Wednesday 8th, returning along the Trent and Mersey Canal. We're putting in at 05.00 (NOT WAITING FOR LATE COMERS) at Stone Canoe club immediately below the old bridge on the A520 Stafford Street. Just on the north side of the new bridge which has been built next to the old one you can turn right onto the old road which leads to the old bridge and the canoe club. We follow the river down to Burston to transfer to the canal then back along the canal and about a mile from the end is Aston Marina, their restaurant opens for breakfast at 09.00! Trolleys an advantage for the portage. This trip will depend on a weather and levels check the day before. I'll post details, all welcome.
    Mike

Just in case any early risers are thinking of joining us. The weather looks set fair with sun and very light winds. The levels at Meaford above Stone are a tad low at 0.69, I reckon about 0.70 is getting marginal so we might scrape at the odd place but it still looks like it could be a beautiful morning. If we're lucky the levels might go up a bit if we get a decent thunder storm this afternoon on the Staffordshire Moorlands. Anyone thinking of coming along we'll be on the water at 05.00 sharp! Probably be finished by mid to late morning.
    Mike

Have a good one Mike.

If I wasn't working, I'd have to come up with another excuse to avoid getting up at 4am.

Way toooo early for me Mike,but enjoy.

It was lovely! Lots of cygnets, goslings and chicks about, plus a very impressive slalom kayak paddler in training when we got back. And to top it off, a fine slimming breakfast including Staffordshire oatcakes!