Thread: River Bond glue failure

Default River Bond glue failure

Hi all,

Trying to attach my ash mast foot to a royalex canoe.
    Bought River Bond and followed the instructions.

After the recommended period of time (24hrs), the glue was nowhere near going off. It was like latex and peeled off quite easily. Thought it could be something that I had done, so tried again.

Second time - same thing. A glue didn't harden at all and remained tacky and like latex.

Are there anyone out there whom is experienced in using River Bond?
    Does this sound like a dodgy batch?
    Was advised that River Bond was best to use with royalex, but now not convinced.

Any pointers or recommendations re. which glue to use, are greatly appreciated.

VM

Obviously canoeing the wrong river. Oops. Sorry I've never heard of river bond.

Many years ago I stuck a wooden mast foot into my royalex canoe with Araldite standard. It is still attached after much abuse in strong winds, the occasional kick for passengers and heavy gear barrels crashing into it.

Roughed the royalex surface probably used 60 grade, cleaned with acetone used sparingly, glue mixed and applied generously (just enough to ooze), held in place with sticky tape and a brick.

Better luck with your next application.

Doug
    When there's trouble on shore, there's peace on the wave,
    Afloat in the White Canoe.
    Alan Sullivan

I've used it to stick a couple of d rings in and they seem bomb proof. Also used it for the odd repair on neoprene stuff and again can't complain

River bond is the glue supplied by Endless river.

Oh dear, that sounds bad.
    I've used it for a mast foot on my Sp3 and it stayed stuck longer than required. By that I mean I'm having trouble getting it off after the mast foot expired.
    Maybe it is a dodgy batch. Time will tell if it is.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

River bond appears to me to be much the same as Evo Stik contact adhesive. Coat both surfaces, waiti until dry and then bring together. If the adhesive does not dry within about 10 minutes I think there is probably something wrong with the adhesive.

How is the mast foot finished?

Could the adhesive be reacting with that finish. I'd imagine it would have trouble sticking to oiled wood, for example.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

The foot was oiled after the first glue but the surface being glued didn't get any.
    River Bond tube instructions say to wait four full hours before putting both surfaces together, although the mixture was dry(ish) soon after.

Even coming out it the tube it was tacky like gum rather than resinous.
    I'm not familiar with what it's supposed to be like but it doesn't feel right - if that makes sense.

was worried about using an off the shelf type adhesive like araldite because some can react poorly with the royalex.

I have the old tube with some still in it and a new tube that I've yet to open. If you want to meet me I'll let you compare them with yours to see if there is a problem.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Thanks Al for the offer,

I'm half tempted to try again, but this time only wait for the glue to dry , rather than waiting the four hours recommended.
    I should know tomorrow/Wednesday if it's worked

Contact Dave at Endless River he will point you in the right direction, he is a top bloke and won't sell Endless River branded gear if not high standard. Hence you won't find new E R air bags as no one can make them to his spec.

I am currently using River Bond to glue D rings into my inflatable.....waiting now for it to "set".
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

After another failed attempt during the week I've given up on River Bond.

Bought a tube of Sikaflex from a marine supplies store on Lough Neagh and it's set well.
    Thanks to all for your advice and comments - bring on the sailing!!

Have used River Bond for my D-ring patches and noted that in very warm weather, the patches creep when under stress. Will need to remember to deflate the air bags....just so rare to have good weather up here!
    I may have left the Navy, but the Navy has never left me!

Yes my D-rings have started coming off, I noticed they were creeping in hot weather during the summer, Im hoping I will be able to salvage them as they arent cheap. I did the ones in my new canoe with G-flex and are completely solid. I will use G-flex from now on.
    If in doubt, hit it with a hammer!!

I've just had the same trouble, but have used Riverbond several times before. I'll look into it.

Impcanoe

I had the same problem with my d rings . And i now use evostik wet grab for my prefered adhesive. And never had any issues with them since

Quite unhappy with the River Bond supplied with my mast foot too. Very peelable and snotty to apply.

Plus one fr wet grab

I made the mistake of using No more nails, unfortunately I used the indoors version. Which is water based. The stuff worked ok when dry, but dissolved when it got wet.

I thought one had fallen off and one had stuck, but the second one has just fallen off en route to the Tyne Tour. First one replaced with "Sticks like sXXXXX" Still have to diswcuss with Dave Endless River who has given me immense good advice and stuff in the past.

I think your problem might be because you are trying to stick wood to plastic. River bond certainly works well with PVC, ABS and rubber or any combination of those. Sikaflex 292i is what I've used in the past to stick all sorts of bits in boats.

www.pkpaddlesport.co.uk
    Coaching, leading and supporting Paddlesport.
    Plastic welding and repairs.

I have used bostic inflatable boat adhesive with no problems.

Default Pants Bond !

I look after a fleet of open boats and was asked to upgrade the fleet with air bags and mast feet, the various kits all came with river bond funds or tubs.
    Yes it's a contact adhesive (suspect it's Evo Stick in another tub).
    The first time I opened a tube I thought 'this will never work', how right I was. I fitted the first set and a week later they failed, all the strap pads for the air bags and mast foot came off.

Now I'm also a marine engineer with many years experience so I thought it's not even worth trying again so I pulled out a tube of automotive P.U. Sealant and stuck them on again having spent hours cleaning the River Bond traces off.
    The P.U. Is used to stick body kits on cars, windscreen and Windows in campers, keels on yachts, it's 100% waterproof and flexable, can also be painted over.

The marine grade is known as Sikaflex... Made in Switzerland! If you want to save 8 a tube, just buy the automotive version from ebay... P.U. Sealant of Tigreseal.

Anyway, behind my back someone else in work tried to help and finished the other boats in the fleet using River Bond and every pad and foot also came off, I'm currently in the process of correcting the mistake and using P.U. On every boat.

Don't waste your time with River Bond, don't put it near anything on your boats. The River Bond had come in hand for sticking a carpet down at home, sticking some signs up at work, some insulation back on a door but it's defiantly the worst thing to put near a kayak.

Quote Originally Posted by velvetmonkey View Post
    Hi all,

Trying to attach my ash mast foot to a royalex canoe.
    Bought River Bond and followed the instructions.

After the recommended period of time (24hrs), the glue was nowhere near going off. It was like latex and peeled off quite easily. Thought it could be something that I had done, so tried again.

Second time - same thing. A glue didn't harden at all and remained tacky and like latex.

Are there anyone out there whom is experienced in using River Bond?
    Does this sound like a dodgy batch?
    Was advised that River Bond was best to use with royalex, but now not convinced.

Any pointers or recommendations re. which glue to use, are greatly appreciated.

VM

Thank you Brenden - couldn't agree more. Silkaflex is great stuff - I'm using it to build a camper van. Thanks for the gen re Tigerseal too.

I'm a great advocate for urethane sealant/adhesives such as Tigerseal and the various Sikaflex products. Note that Sika is the brand and there are a fair number of different, but seemingly very similar, versions of their products. They also do a builders version called EBT, which is cheaper than the marine ones (7) and more easily available, such as from B&Q. For our purposes, where the stuff is only sporadically under water, I think that any of their products will probably do the job fine.

I used River Bond to attach my Endless River sailing mast rubber foot/boot and two D-rings on vinyl(?) ~4" diameter discs to the bottom of my Mobile Adventure Minuet (note PE not Rx), all attached at the same time and in the same way. The sailing foot attachment seems bombproof but both of the D-rings fell off. The D-rings were subsequently re-attached with Bondit HT30 High Temperature Silicon Sealant as I'd just bought some to re-attach the mountings of our glass oven door and I had it to hand. They've not moved since and I'm hoping my D-rings are now proof against global warming.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read