Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dangerous barrier erected by Dee Valley Fishing Syndicate

Thumbs down Dangerous barrier erected by Dee Valley Fishing Syndicate

Just in case you hadn't heard. Someone's put a barrier across the Dee

Apparently just upriver of the Mile End Mill
    Last edited by Chainsaw; 24th-May-2016 at 12:21 PM.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by mayobren View Post
    Just in case you hadn't heard. Someone's put a barrier across the Dee

Beat me to it, it's on the WOW (Waters of Wales) Face book page,

Sue Austin has posted "hello I work for the Shropshire Star and am doing a story on the barrier that has just gone up on the River Dee. am looking for people willing to comment please."

Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

The latest...
    " Police have told me the fence has been voluntary taken down for now by the land owner and evidence taken by the police. They are concerned it will be put up again in the near future though. I am concerned they are not aware of the severity of the land owners actions to risk of life. I am sure the more complaints to police re public safety and NRW re flood risk the better. The non emergency police incident line is 101 but if the fence is back up is an emergency on 999."
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

West Country UK (and Quebec Province sometimes)

G

'Adventure is relative. My adventure is another's commonplace.'

Police spokesman "we are currently unclear of the legal situation" Wonder which way this will go

Default Dangerous barrier erected by Dee Valley Fishing Syndicate

The Dee Valley Fishing Syndicate namely Gary and Dave have erected a barrier across the River Dee below Serpent's Tail. The barrier was intended to cause harm or death.

Their notice of the erection is.

Are Gary and Dave behind the car wrecking against canoeists?

They are now showing intent to cause harm or death.

If you are wondering who Gary and Dave are?

Gary Fletcher Owner of Dee Valley Fishing Syndicates : 07845496795

Dave is the director of White Waters Country Hotel, Llangollen.

The police have reported that the barrier has been temporarily removed.

I have reported the matter to North Wales Police as a Hate Crime with intent to cause harm or death.

It seems to me that the thugs within the fishing industry will go to extreme ends to get us off the rivers.
    When there's trouble on shore, there's peace on the wave,
    Afloat in the White Canoe.
    Alan Sullivan

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
    If there is no agreement to paddle it. It follows that there is no agreement not to paddle it.
    nature is m X-box

lucky they're not suggesting anyone is committing Aggravated Tresspass

Quote Originally Posted by aannddyyhh View Post
    lucky they're not suggesting anyone is committing Aggravated Tresspass
    They're Welsh or pretend to be! Clearly can't cope with the English Language.

UPDATE.

Email from the police, re Hate Crime. (Apparently not hate crime)

Police: thank you for your comments, however this will not be recorded as a hate crime since you haven’t been discriminated against because of your race, sexuality, religion, disability or

gender. However, your complaint has been passed to the officer who’s being dealing with the issues you’ve reported. All parties have been spoken to and the matter is in hand.

Me: David Hoole,

Please pass this email on to the officer concerned.

I do hope that the serious nature and threat to life caused by the culprits is not to be dismissed as a none incident. Their actions could easily result in the drowning of a water user and to my mind is intent to commit murder.

If their barrier was to cause death after being reported and declared by Gary and Dave as “could result in serious injury”, then the police would be liable for prosecution in addition to the criminals.

If you have not seen their declared notice then please view it here:

26475832503_9f9955b9da_b.jpg

and here:

26475831433_b3fb904585_b.jpg

Please report back to me the result of your enquiry.

Thank you

Police: we are well aware of the threat posed and officers have been dealing with the matter today and all parties involved. The matter is not being dismissed and all parties are being

spoken to, to resolve the situation.

Me: Thank you.

Alan Sullivan

Things are getting serious. This is very sad indeed.

Whilst we're correcting their letter... The last sentence in the first paragraph spelt "opposite" incorrectly and used an unofficial abbreviation of "approximately". I'm not sure that needed abbreviating either; there seemed ample space for the full word. Maybe they forgot how to spell it?

Just an aside but can anyone tell me if these gentlemen have any connection with the Welsh Dee Partnership which claims (falsly) to control the river and paddling along this length?

Quote Originally Posted by 25272527 View Post
    Just an aside but can anyone tell me if these gentlemen have any connection with the Welsh Dee Partnership which claims (falsly) to control the river and paddling along this length?
    On one of the Facebook posts, it was said that Dee Valley Fishing Syndicate did not have anything to do with the Welsh Dee Partnership.

The bandit style of the 2 persons of DVFS suggests they are rogues with little concern for the lives of others.
    Alan Sullivan

these are obviously highly intelligent, educated, and philanthropic individuals: "Aggrivated (sic) Tresspass (sic)"

Whilst we're correcting their letter... The last sentence in the first paragraph spelt "opposite" incorrectly and used an unofficial abbreviation of "approximately". I'm not sure that needed abbreviating either; there seemed ample space for the full word. Maybe they forgot how to spell it? [/QUOTE]
    That's a raging certainty!

knowlage
    any guesses?

(Not really wanting to make light of this - as does seem kinda criminal. Interested to see what the final official police action is, and would set a very dubious and dangerous precedent.)

As Riparian Landowners, aren't they required to keep the waterway unobstructed - sure I read that in an EA doc a while ago.?

Interesting, the environment agency leaflet is quiet on the issue of obstructing navigation, it's more interested in the obstruction / diversion of the watercourse (weirs, dams, culverts etc). This clearly has the potential to become an obstruction as it catches branches flowing downstream.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...2/LIT_7114.pdf

• You have a legal obligation to notify the Environment Agency and the relevant risk management authority if you would like to build or alter a structure that acts as an obstruction to a watercourse. Under the Eel Regulations in some cases it may bean offence if you do not notify the Environment Agency...

also:

- Your local planning authority may require you to provide an Environmental Statement if your proposed works on a water course or lake could have a significant environmental impact. Contact your local planning authority for more information.

I suspect the issue is going to be more to do with the potential danger caused - kind of like when idiots string wire across public footpaths to decapitate motocross bikers - with the obvious difference being that canoeing is perfectly legal.
    Last edited by Fiddlesticks; 18th-May-2016 at 01:18 PM.

I'm am so pleased not to be in the UK sometimes. The rest of the world doesn't seem to get this stuff despite having anglers throughout. I'm sort of confused by their logic really.

It seems to be akin to saying "I own a house on either side of the road and people using the road could potentially come into my garden from it so im going to block the road" ... eh ?

anyway, I have not a clue what to do about the whole thing but it does strike me that there is potentially a dangerous precedent here if they get away with it.
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Canoe outfitting packages in the Massif Central

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    I'm am so pleased not to be in the UK sometimes. The rest of the world doesn't seem to get this stuff despite having anglers throughout.
    You mean England & Wales, mon ami. We don't get this stuff either.

It seems to be akin to saying "I own a house on either side of the road and people using the road could potentially come into my garden from it so im going to block the road" ... eh ?
    Ha ha. These folk are certainly an odd bunch.

anyway, I have not a clue what to do about the whole thing
    Bolt cutters?

Now I wish to God I'd joined those men when they were set ashore, but I chose a wild and a reckless life serving under Captain Moore.

Crow Trip Log

I sometimes make spelling mistakes and I'd hate to think that they invalidated anything I was saying. Its much more constructive to play the ball rather than the man! The issue is that the action of these guys is contrary to the evidence of public navigation rights, provocatively dangerous and in contravention of the 1984 Occupiers Liability Act and illustrates clearly that the route that the Welsh Government has advocated in the past (agreements) is incapable of delivering their objectives.

Stay calm, don't be gratuitously rude to anyone and make sure that the bad behaviour of "Dee Valley Fishing Syndicate" is not matched by bad behaviour by any canoeists.
    Last edited by KeithD; 18th-May-2016 at 02:39 PM.
    Keith

There are two different arguments being affected by this situation, one the act of navigating the river as part of a longer journey and the other is using the river as a play ground for commercial purposes. We should make it quite clear in our complaints that we are complaining about the obstruction of Public Navigation rights. Blocking the river is obviously not the answer to either but it seems that it is the commercial use that has brought this to a head. The Whitewater Hotel of course offer free fishing to hotel guests, so it looks like just plain greed in that they want it just for themselves at the expense of other local companies. They are also perversely promoting white water rafting on their website!

They are putting themselves into a vulnerable position as most Hotels rely on the review sites for a lot of their business, it does not pay to upset too many people or else it could backfire via the review sites, lots of bad reviews can have a devastating effect on any business.

http://www.whitewatershotel.co.uk/

There are a wide range of places to visit, activities or just take time to explore the local area.

A few suggestions all within easy reach of the hotel.

• FREE Fishing for all residents
    • Llangollen Steam Railway link
    • Aqueduct Cruises & Horse drawn Canal Boat Trips link
    • White Water Rafting link
    • Gorge Walking link
    • Golfing Henlle link
    • Golfing VLGC link
    • Plas Newydd House link
    • Chirk castle link
    • Erddig Hall link
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.

I am not a commercial organization I am just a single paddler So i guess this does not apply ?
    In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Duct tape fixes everything

My essential canoeing gear now includes "Bolt Cutters" in a handy quick draw holster. I will be the one canoeing but looking like a Ninja Warrior.

Canoeing is beginning to feel like WAR!

Is the next step by the fishy folk to plant anti boat mines? It can only make slalom more interesting!

I have contacted, by email, as many Llangollen businesses as I can find online.

The email,

The director of the White Water Hotel, Dave and the owner of the Dee Valley Fishing Syndicate, Gary, have by their actions declared war on water users that do not fish.

Their actions, placing a barrier across the River Dee with the intent to cause harm or even death, offer a very negative window into the town of Llangollen.

Although the police seem to have had the barrier removed, it seems to be temporary matter and may be replaced at any time.

I do hope that the police will deal with Dave and Gary as the criminals they clearly are.

In the mean time businesses like yours may suffer through negative feedback from those people, like myself, who are offended by their illegal attempt to control a public navigation on an ancient waterway.

In the past canoeists have suffered abuse, both verbal and physical. Our property mostly cars, have been vandalised by the fishing fraternity. This latest threat to life is an escalation that is very worrying, to me and many others.

If water users are forced to withdraw from using the River Dee around Llangollen, the economic issues for the town could be very serious. A few fishing folk that believe they have a right to exclusive use of the river, will not support the town’s economy.

Please help through your business and position to control these criminal, greedy individuals before they destroy Llangollen, as the pleasant tourist town it is.

Llangollen businesses include: Langollen Chamber of Trade and Tourism; Llangollen Tourist Information; Llangollen Town Council; Dee Side Bistro; Whitewater Active; Horse drawn boats; Llangollen Railway; Henlli Golf; National Trust; Llangollen-Malthouse; Simon Baynes MP; Corn Mill; CADW Welsh government; Buttered Crust; Gales of Llangollen; Manor Haus.

Doug
    Alan Sullivan

"Bolt cutters?"

Quote Originally Posted by nic a char View Post
    "Bolt cutters?"
    Let us hope they don't have EXOCET missiles

Doug
    Alan Sullivan

"You mean England & Wales, mon ami. We don't get this stuff either. "

"I sometimes make spelling mistakes and I'd hate to think that they invalidated anything I was saying."
    ok but in this case we have people:
    - behaving badly
    - clearly ill-educated throughout, by word and deed
    - selfish
    - don't care

"You mean England & Wales, mon ami. We don't get this stuff either. "
    Yep, you are correct .... but "UK" was easier to type for lazy people like me and its all "abroad" to me from here.
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Canoe outfitting packages in the Massif Central

IF they erect the chain again a good response would be to use our own chain, connected to ourselves or canoes across the entrances to the White Waters Hotel. We would of course need to inform the potential patrons of the hotel of this peaceful protest via the various forms of social media, "Trip advisor, Newspapers, Facebook, Etc." so they could make an informed choice as to whether they wish to book their weekend or wedding reception knowing it may be disrupted.

I think more members of the public would support our cause rather than the Hotel's need to try and close the river so that more of it's patrons can get their enjoyment from killing and injuring the local wildlife (fish) just for fun.

According to the Company Check web site Mrs Alison Mellor is the hotels MD.

Yep, you are correct .... but "UK" was easier to type for lazy people like me and its all "abroad" to me from here.
    I'd love to see right to roam & community buyouts in england & wales too mark - yes isn't it odd how we see across ANY border as "abroad"
    Last edited by nic a char; 20th-May-2016 at 11:42 AM. Reason: addition

Item as covered by the Beeb, fibnishes with ...

Sgt Rob Taylor, from North Wales Police rural crime unit, said: "We are aware of this issue. We are currently unclear what the legal situation is."
    Nice to think this becomes the time the legal situation is clarified, but wont be holding my breath.

First answer from my email to Llangollen, from the Llangollen Town Clerk.

Dear Mr M....
    Thank you for your recent email regarding the obstruction of the River Dee. The Town Council has no direct responsibility over riparian rights on the Dee. However, your correspondence will be brought to the attention of the Members of the Town Council at their next meeting which is to be held on 24 May 2016.
    Regards,
    Gareth Thomas.

Doug
    Alan Sullivan

Quote Originally Posted by dougoutcanoe View Post

Dear Mr M....
    Thank you for your recent email regarding the obstruction of the River Dee. The Town Council has no direct responsibility over riparian rights on the Dee. However, your correspondence will be brought to the attention of the Members of the Town Council at their next meeting which is to be held on 24 May 2016.
    Regards,
    Gareth Thomas.

Doug
    It's not about riparian rights - It's about public rights!
    Keith

Journal Entries

Havent read all this, but....

Erecting man traps is illegal under criminal law.

If they have built this thing knowing persons may be killed or injured, they are liable to prosecution by the police.

Actually admitting in writing that they have deliberately built such a thing is very funny as its clear evidence of intent.

Land owners used to hide bear type traps on footpaths to maim poachers.

These traps occasionally caught children too.

Due to public outcry, law was passed banning this practice.

This law was used when some children were using the drag lines erected to pulll slag up the hills in wales from the mines.

The kids hung from the wire and got pulled to the top, then let go and slid all the way back down the heap.

This was sort of ok, until a kid froze and went round the pulley at the top, losing his fingers.

The judges decided that as the mine owners knew the kids were doing this, they were liable.

Later, some nursery kids climbed through a broken fence and wandered onto a railway line.

The railway tried to rely on signs saying no trespassing, but were still found liable by the courts as they had not taken adequate steps to ensure safety.

This is the same legislation that is being ridiculed for protecting burglars.

As I said....The police can prosecute if they have now erected this barrier.

"Actually admitting in writing that they have deliberately built such a thing is very funny as its clear evidence of intent"
    - and self-righteous stupidity

any pics of thins barrier?

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tagnut69 View Post
    any pics of thins barrier?
    Yes. Here:

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...-canoe-barrier

Now I wish to God I'd joined those men when they were set ashore, but I chose a wild and a reckless life serving under Captain Moore.

Crow Trip Log

I understand that on police advice/ instruction the barrier has been removed. Does anyone have any feedback from the police?

Also could the mods possibly put this string together with the similar one on this subject in the access section to avoid having to keep abreat of both?
    Mike

Journal Entries

Also could the mods possibly put this string together with the similar one on this subject in the access section to avoid having to keep abreat of both?
    Mike
    done
    Cheers,

Alan

39. Default

I understand that on police advice/ instruction the barrier has been removed. Does anyone have any feedback from the police?
    Mike
    Canoe Wales attended a meeting of the Welsh Dee Partnership last Friday to put the canoeist's views on the river across. There was representation from both the Police and the council there - both of who claim to have no power to remove the barrier if it goes back up. They say that as public access rights to the river are ambiguous there is no law they can call upon to remove the barrier. This doesn't mean there are no public rights, nor that if there was an incident they wouldn't then be able to do something in response to the incident - just that they can't, they believe, do something preemptively if it goes back up.

National Resources Wales may have a say on it, as they have powers to refuse development along main rivers due to flood and other considerations. So this angle is also being pursued.

Chris, W&E Manager, Central - chris.page@britishcanoeing.org.uk

Has this been put on the access map? I have had a quick look but could not see it. I could do this, but it would be better if one of those involved did it, also I am about to go to Scotland for a couple of weeks paddling & wild camping (Scotland's rules are much better than England & Wales) so will not have internet access.
    Ken

41. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dougoutcanoe View Post

Dear Mr M....
    Regards,
    Gareth Thomas.

Doug
    Most of the land adjoining the Dee in Llangollen town centre belongs to the council, ie public land. That's why we swimmers told Welsh Dee Partnership to "do one" over their infamous "Rule 16: No Wild Swimming". WDP have no powers over public land.

Quote Originally Posted by BC Waterways&Environment View Post
    Canoe Wales attended a meeting of the Welsh Dee Partnership last Friday to put the canoeist's views on the river across. There was representation from both the Police and the council there - both of who claim to have no power to remove the barrier if it goes back up. They say that as public access rights to the river are ambiguous there is no law they can call upon to remove the barrier. This doesn't mean there are no public rights, nor that if there was an incident they wouldn't then be able to do something in response to the incident - just that they can't, they .

Chris, W&E Manager, Central - chris.page@britishcanoeing.org.uk
    Did no one challenge them on this? There must at least be a health and safety issue, the erecting of a dangerous construction, a public nuisance, maybe a public order offence, obstruction of a navigation, conspiracy to commit harm, attempted grevious bodily harm to persons yet to be identified. Maybe these are tricky in law but they are all good grounds which would warrant some positive action against the perpetrators

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Cooper View Post
    Did no one challenge them on this? There must at least be a health and safety issue, the erecting of a dangerous construction, a public nuisance, maybe a public order offence, obstruction of a navigation, conspiracy to commit harm, attempted grevious bodily harm to persons yet to be identified. Maybe these are tricky in law but they are all good grounds which would warrant some positive action against the perpetrators
    I don't have any legal background but perhaps the "Offences Against the Person Act 1861"
    In particular section 31.

Whosoever shall set or place, or cause to be set or placed, any spring gun, man trap, or other engine calculated to destroy human life or inflict grievous bodily harm, with the intent that the same or whereby the same may destroy or inflict grievous bodily harm upon a trespasser or other person coming in contact therewith, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor,
    I would consider preventing passage on a legal waterway in this way constitutes a 'Man trap'.

If you were to capsize at the obstruction you could even argue that section 17 applies too.

Whosoever shall unlawfully and maliciously prevent or impede any person, being on board of or having quitted any ship or vessel which shall be in distress, or wrecked, stranded, or cast on shore, in his endeavour to save his life, or shall unlawfully and maliciously prevent or impede any person in his endeavour to save the life of any such person as in this section first aforesaid, shall be guilty of felony,
    Bootstrap
    There's no such thing as inclement weather - you're just incorrectly dressed

We need to establish exactly who are the responsible parties in this case, the notice is signed on behalf of the "Dee Valley Fishing Syndicate" by Dave & Gary, yet they describe themselves in the notice as "The Riparian & Land Owners". My understanding is that the land and therefore the Riparian rights belong to the White Waters Hotel and that the Fishing Syndicate only lease the fishing rights, if this is correct then the legal responsibility for what is being done lies with the White Waters Hotel. Blocking the river goes far beyond what would be included in a fishing lease, so either the Hotel are directing the operation and hiding behind the Syndicate's name or the syndicate are exceeding their rights as lease holders.

If the above is correct then it is pointless negotiating with the DVFS as they are just the fall guys, they have nothing to lose whereas the White Waters Hotel does, they have their reputation to lose and this is a valuable asset. If a paddler was to be injured they would be claiming against the Hotel for damages not Dave & Gary, what would that do to their reputation?

Line back up now, across half the river from the left bank according to a post on FB

If we are looking at the same post Adrian, I think that is new line is above horseshoe and looks like it has been placed there to stop livestock from wading round the current field fence.

Had another look at the pictures and it's not easy to see exactly where this is.

Just drawing a parallel to the fact that civil engineering contractors seem to be liable for accidents even caused to Trespassers, may be its in the realm of the Health and Safety Executive??

Impcanoe

What I cannot quite get my head round is exactly what the problem is with canoes going past anglers. I have been a keen angler since the age of 8. All the encounters that I have had with canoeists when fishing have been fine. We usually have a bit of a chat as they glide gently past. Canoeists are very unlikely to affect what an angler is doing - he/she is likely to be fishing in at least 4 feet of water and last time I looked paddles do not go anyway near that deep. I have had youngsters from Kingsmead on the Stour in Canterbury splash about in 'my' swim whilst they learnt control. It has never been a problem, indeed, on some slow days a canoe or 2 stirring things up a bit has resulted in a better day. I can only surmise that these are folk of moderate angling ability and confidence who see canoeists as an excuse for their own angling shortcomings. Apart from the fact that they appear downright rude.

Quote Originally Posted by N1mr0d View Post
    What I cannot quite get my head round is exactly what the problem is with canoes going past anglers. I have been a keen angler since the age of 8. All the encounters that I have had with canoeists when fishing have been fine. We usually have a bit of a chat as they glide gently past. Canoeists are very unlikely to affect what an angler is doing - he/she is likely to be fishing in at least 4 feet of water and last time I looked paddles do not go anyway near that deep. I have had youngsters from Kingsmead on the Stour in Canterbury splash about in 'my' swim whilst they learnt control. It has never been a problem, indeed, on some slow days a canoe or 2 stirring things up a bit has resulted in a better day. I can only surmise that these are folk of moderate angling ability and confidence who see canoeists as an excuse for their own angling shortcomings. Apart from the fact that they appear downright rude.
    My 2p is;

The fishermen that have a problem with canoes are just miserable, awkward buggers.

If they were ramblers, they'd be kicking off about mountain bikers.

Quote Originally Posted by N1mr0d View Post
    There is no problem with canoeing/kayaking and angling - except that the rich/snobbish want to keep the river to themselves.
    In Scotland on rivers like the Tweed trout anglers must "give way" to salmon anglers = money talks.
    And on rivers like the Tay many salmon anglers harl (a lazy, skill-less form of trolling where the ghillie does all the physical and brain work) - involving hanging a large row-boat (often nowadays with an engine) in the current above known salmon lies for good spells at a time - while bank anglers must just wait...

And on rivers like the Tay many salmon anglers harl (a lazy, skill-less form of trolling where the ghillie does all the physical and brain work) - involving hanging a large row-boat (often nowadays with an engine) in the current above known salmon lies for good spells at a time - while bank anglers must just wait...
    Lets face it Anglers are a group of people who spend their time trying to outwit an animal with a brain the size of a pea, and 99% of the time they fail. What more is there to say.

"Anglers are a group of people who spend their time trying to outwit an animal with a brain the size of a pea, and 99% of the time they fail."
    People who generalise about groups of people are generally as bright as Bader

Touché.

nice answer cloudman have to agree - there are angling dix - paddling dix 2...

You bunch of big girls blouses

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo11 View Post
    big girls blouses
    A source of great adventure.

Just for clarification, when he says we are 'big girls (sic) blouses', is he accusing us of being big blouses for girls, or blouses for big girls? I need to know!
    Juvanile delinkwit, vaguely faffing around with a pair of pliers. Du skal ikke tro at du er bedre end mig!

My comment at #52 was made in jest, maybe he feels the need to prove me right?

It wouldn't stop me if I was allowed to paddle there and as someone has already said, it is soon remedied with some croppers. It does raise an interesting question though. Why haven't more barriers been erected over rivers without a PRN? If this person really wanted to keep people off, why didn't he just drop a couple of trees across the river? The riparian owner is responsible for removing timber from the river now, so no one else would remove them if some trees were felled.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast