Thread: Bassenthwaite lake permit

Thumbs up Bassenthwaite lake permit

Hoping to have a day on Bassenthwaite lake sometime this summer, and understand that a one of permit is required. Does anyone know where I can obtain one,how much does it cost and how much notice is required. Many thanks for any forth coming advice.

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

Info on permits here:

http://www.canoe-england.org.uk/medi...%20Version.pdf

Though I must say I've never been bothered there by anyone asking for permits, but maybe I've just been lucky.

Now I wish to God I'd joined those men when they were set ashore, but I chose a wild and a reckless life serving under Captain Moore.

Crow Trip Log

Have a look here.

Also an email to LDNPA might be worthwhile as they may issue permits through a number of local outlets.

The pheasant inn I believe. It's not one I've bothered paddling as I've seen reviews saying it's not worth it. I do like Derwent water.

many thanks for advice, I think I might see if I'm as lucky as crow.

Aye, there are nicer lakes.

I want to do it sometime but as part of a descent of the Derwent system.

I reckon it would be good for sailing.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

You can get a permit from the Theatre by the Lake, Keswick I'm quite sure that the tourist info at Moot Hall, Keswick should have them too.

I would NOT consider just doing the Bassenthwaite Lake but include Derwent Water and the River Derwent (grade 1).

Doug
    When there's trouble on shore, there's peace on the wave,
    Afloat in the White Canoe.
    Alan Sullivan

Bass Lake (local term ) is nice but as others have said, is a bit 'boring' for a paddle on its own so I would combine with Derwent for a longer paddle or just do Derwentwater itself for a regular paddle. There are several car parks around Derwentwater (free for NT members) and a few free spots where you can park & launch with a 15m carry / drag to the water.

But if you do do want to paddle, easiest place to get a permit is the Pheasent Inn - if paddling from end to end (being aware of the SSSI at the South end), you could probably sort out the permit after you get out at Castle How.....
    Death is natures way of telling you to slow down.

Quick up-date The Pheasant Inn no longer sells permits, either for canoeing or fishing on Bassenthwaite lake. Shame as it is adjacent to a very good put-in/get-out at Peel Wyke Harbour.

Neither can permits be had at Nichol End Marine, the canoeing place on Derwent Water.

The Tourist info centre in Keswick Moot Hall is now the closest place to Bassenthwaite Lake where permits can be purchased.

You can get them from The Castle Inn not the Pheasant Inn, the Pheasant stopped doing them.
    If in doubt, hit it with a hammer!!

Nice one! Far better not to have to make the journey into the middle of Keswick, especially at this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by vintagephil59 View Post
    Nice one! Far better not to have to make the journey into the middle of Keswick, especially at this time of year.
    I would still ring beforehand and ask though

Journal Entries

Coming from Scotland, I find it bizarre that anyone should need a permit to paddle on a lake. Not sure how they can enforce it either.

I raised this point once before, but no-one was interested in obtaining access rights for lakes in England, they were only interested in rivers.

Strange.

Now I wish to God I'd joined those men when they were set ashore, but I chose a wild and a reckless life serving under Captain Moore.

Crow Trip Log

I always wondered that myself but never found out, LDNP own other waters some need permits some do not. Cant understand how they do this.

Think its due to prorected nature reserve area, having to limit numbers becoming an excuse to demand a permit. Doesn't really wash...
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

I did wonder about that mal

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Coming from Scotland, I find it bizarre that anyone should need a permit to paddle on a lake. Not sure how they can enforce it either.

I raised this point once before, but no-one was interested in obtaining access rights for lakes in England, they were only interested in rivers.

Strange.
    I agree - it is bonkers.

I was also told that I couldn't paddle on Esthwaite Water as it is "privately owned"... perhaps I am a cranky old leftie but I don't think that you can ever really own a lake (or mountain). Makes me feel all "Kinder Scout"!

Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    I agree - it is bonkers.

I was also told that I couldn't paddle on Esthwaite Water as it is "privately owned"... perhaps I am a cranky old leftie but I don't think that you can ever really own a lake (or mountain). Makes me feel all "Kinder Scout"!
    The problem with a few of the smaller Waters is that there is limited public access to them, so technically they can refuse permission to cross their land to launch a boat. Frustrating. I'd quite likely push my luck by using the public right of way footpath down to the northern shore, but its probably a pain to get a canoe down!
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    I agree - it is bonkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    The problem with a few of the smaller Waters is that there is limited public access to them, so technically they can refuse permission to cross their land to launch a boat. Frustrating. I'd quite likely push my luck by using the public right of way footpath down to the northern shore, but its probably a pain to get a canoe down!
    Shouldn't really be a problem either.

The Land Reform Act up here is a good model, and would allow people responsible access over private land to reach the water.

Crow Trip Log

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post

Strange.
    The 'Waters of Wales - WoW' campaign is trying to achieve land reform legislation for Wales, similar to the Scottish legislation. Success for Wales will make it easier for England to follow! Please sign and share the PETITION (paper version available on request).

https://www.assembly.wales/en/gethom...PetitionID=906

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Yes I had thought of that more out of a sense of rebellion rather than any particular desire to paddle there. I suspect in this particular case it is a fishing interest rather than any particular rule set down by the landlord but I may be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyads View Post
    I always wondered that myself but never found out, LDNP own other waters some need permits some do not. Cant understand how they do this.
    I think Bassenthwaite is unique as (a) it's the only 'Lake' in the Lake District and (b) it is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI), a Natural Nature Reserve (NNR) and a Special Area of Conversation (SAC). Probably the combination of those necessitates trying to limit / control the amount of boating craft using the Lake.
    Death is natures way of telling you to slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiP View Post
    I think Bassenthwaite is unique as (a) it's the only 'Lake' in the Lake District
    This is a bit of a nonsense which is often quoted. It is the only lake which is called a lake, the others have different names but are still lakes.

The thing about controlling boating is a bit daft since there is a sailing club on the west bank. The southern end is a nature reserve and there are markers which indicate a 'no go' zone albeit this is relaxed for those travelling through. If the tickets were to control numbers, it would only work if there was a single source for the tickets which there is not or if they were counted centrally which they are not.

Notwithstanding al of that, when we have visited, there were very few canoes and no-one was checking the tickets.