Thread: Mast Float

Default Mast Float

I filmed a capsize test of the boat with my new mast on to see what happens.

It's an unusually long mast and I was concerned it could get me into trouble if the boat capsized. To mitigate this, I've put half a foam pool noodle over the top mast section.

This turns out to be incredibly effective. The boat simply will not fully invert even with most of my substantial weight pushing down on it. It takes almost no force at all to roll it back upright again (although emptying it may take a little longer).

Here's the video.

https://youtu.be/7m82y1RR9zM
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

The canoe going upside down is not neccessarly a problem as they are reasonably easy to right again. They dont have the wide beam that can make righting a turtled dinghy a challenge. The poole noodles will cause a lot of wind drag when you are trying to sail upwind though so i dont think they would be anything other than a pain when you are sailing. Side buoyancy in your canoe would make a huge difference to the ammount of water that you scoop up as you right the canoe though, and it will also make it much more stable to re-enter.

I was more concerned about the mast hitting the bottom.

Point taken. Most of the lakes where you sail are very deep, and if you do capsize in shallower water and it sticks, the canoe is small enough to pull off the mast. With an open canoe i usually pull the mast out before i right the boat. It reduces the amount of water that you scoop up as you right the boat and you dont have a flogging sail trying to re-capsize you when you get back in. Also the canoe on its side in waves with the rig up, can pull the mast out of the mast foot. When you right the canoe the rig can then break the thwart. If you do remove the rig you need to be sure that it is retained with the sheet. With your riig which is set up like a jib? this might not be an issue as the rig wont come out of the foot and you may not have the option of removing it in the water. My comments are probably aimed at people who have a more standard type of rig.

Maybe fill the pole with expanding foam ,it will float but you loose the drag of the pool noodle just a thought

Aye, it's set up as a jib but it's attached using a quick-release snap shackle with a ball-toggle on either end if I need to remove it.

It's not a bad idea. After all, Hobby themselves attach a float to the top of the masts of their little craft:

Another thought you could put backer rod in the mast comes in lots of different diameters http://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=l&ai...-rod-15mm.html

The mast poles do float without the noodle, just not enough to hold the boat up.

Super high-tec. I put wine corks in each end of the aluminium tube.