Thread: Maps.

Default Maps.

I've been putting together some sort of itinery for my canoe 'expedition' to the Oban area sometime this year, and I was looking at getting the requisite maps. Of course the bit where they all join up is smack bang in the middle of where I intend going, which will mean buying a couple of 50000 Landranger at least, or even more of the prefered 25000 explorer.

Then I came across a service on the OS website. They will print up a specific map centred on where you want. OK it's around £16, but when 2 25,000 maps cost that anyway it looks like a good deal

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswe...hop/index.html

click on OS Select Maps.

Anybody else tried this, and what did you think of it.

edited to add: maybe not....... I think that you still will require several maps
    Last edited by Obscured by Clouds; 23rd-March-2006 at 01:17 PM.
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com

Default Maps

I have a theory that a long time ago the OS spent a great deal of money working out where the most inconvenient palces to put joins in maps might be. This also meant they could make a lot of money selling the maps to mugs like us!

Firstly, I have some 1:25 000 OS maps of the area that you are welcome to borrow, - over the summer if you want -, I can't remember exactly which sheets. Could check and bring them to the Inchcailloch meet if you want.

Secondly, might be worth checking if Harveys do suitable sheets - they come in 1:40 000 but don't cover everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    Firstly, I have some 1:25 000 OS maps of the area that you are welcome to borrow, - over the summer if you want -, I can't remember exactly which sheets. Could check and bring them to the Inchcailloch meet if you want.

Secondly, might be worth checking if Harveys do suitable sheets - they come in 1:40 000 but don't cover everywhere.
    Hey Thanks, if you could I'd be grateful...... Loking at the areas between Loch Nevis in the north and Loch Fyne in the south.

Harveys?? I see if there's a www someplace. 1:40000 sounds an odd scale to me, I grew up with 1" 25k and 50K and use 2500 every day so I get a good idea just by looking, I think 40K would throw me somewhat.
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

Default most of the map is near the edge...

Quote Originally Posted by Woodlander
    I have a theory that a long time ago the OS spent a great deal of money working out where the most inconvenient palces to put joins in maps might be. This also meant they could make a lot of money selling the maps to mugs like us!
    If you divide a map into thirds both horizontally and vertically, then only 11% is in the middle , 44% near the edges, 44% in the corners [and the lost 1% will be the folds].

It is not as bad if you use quarters, with only 12/16ths being at the edges and corners. I think they must employ too many mathematicians. Why can't they distort the maps likes the kings of old did?
    Philip

Default Print your own maps & waterproof them

An alternative is to get an electronic map (e.g. Anquet) and then only print the relevant sections at a scale to suit you.
    Then you cover them with clear sticky plastic. These are very good for river running etc.
    The trick to the sticky back plastic is that you stick it 'the wrong way round'

You lay the plastic out flat, sticky side up, use selotape to hold the corners out taut. Then apply the paper to the plastic.
    same for both sides, and then trim to leave a small excess 6mm (1/4").

They stay quite waterproof. The ink is stuck to the plastic so even if the paper goes musshy the ink is still ok.
    It works quite well in black and white (laser printers).

Shrink the OS 1:50,000 to half size to be 1:100,000 for general topo map. etc.

The electronic map is quite good if you get too attached to a computer/web site

Philip

If you're going offshore you should check out the admiralty charts too .
    http://www.nls.uk/digitallibrary/map...rts_index.html

The NLS also has a good inland loch library.
    http://www.nls.uk/digitallibrary/map...ric/index.html
    Picture yourself in a boat on a river,

Default Anquet

We use Anquet maps at work. It's expensive, but pays for itself in versatility plus once you've done about 15 maps you're quids in. It also runs on my PDA type phone, so I've navigated off that a couple of times (in a waterproof case). Also 'flying' along routes you've done is fun.

Alastair

Don, I had a look in my map drawer and the only relevant two I have are:

Explorer 377 Loch Etive and Glen Orchy (covers most of Loch Etive, plus northern Loch Awe)

Explorer 413 Knoydart Loch Hourn. (a bit further north than you mentioned).

If either or both are any good for you I can bring 'em to the meet.

Quote Originally Posted by philipoakley
    Then you cover them with clear sticky plastic. These are very good for river running etc.

Philip
    Memory Map now sell a completely waterproof ink-jet paper. Works very well and is much tougher than normal paper. www.memory-map.co.uk for info

Chris
    "All right" said Eeyore "We're going. Only don't blame me"

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Default tracklogs

Hi all,

Tracklogs (competitor for Anquet and Memorymap) is worth a look too.

For years I've used OS maps but I will soon be switching to GPS and electronic maps for canoe trips. That way I can publish the routes on websites too.

I still like OS maps - there's nothing like poring over the map checking the terrain for hiking / camping / canoeing. You don't get the same experience with an electronic map.

Cheers!

Default Water Proof Ink

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Randall
    Memory Map now sell a completely waterproof ink-jet paper. Works very well and is much tougher than normal paper. www.memory-map.co.uk for info

Chris
    If you are shelling out vast sums of mony on special paper, its a good idea to make sure that your printer has waterproof ink! Most domestic ink jet ink is not waterproof. Try buying some cheep and cheerfull A4 plastic sleaves. Then print on normal paper put 2 sheets back to back in the sleeve and seal with sticky tape. You can even build it into a book for those multi day river descents.

Default Maps

Hi,

I use memory map all the time. The whole of the uk is on my hard drive at 1:50k for planning and 1:250k for finding places. It has more than paid for itself, and I have a large map store at work.

MM have been selling version 4 for around 100 complete uk which was about trade + vat before the new V5.

I also have a laminator which makes messing with sticky back plastic a joke. I have done the River Ba (west of the main road) to Perth all on A4 sheets and laminated this week ready for May. Use a OHP pen (permanent) on the maps for adding notes times etc. You can place text boxes on the map if you already have the info.

I have a file at work that has the rivers we use all over the uk. They are laminated with initial notes and post trip notes, so that we all have the benefit of hindsight.

PB

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Booker
    Hi,

I use memory map all the time. The whole of the uk is on my hard drive at 1:50k for planning and 1:250k for finding places. It has more than paid for itself, and I have a large map store at work.

MM have been selling version 4 for around 100 complete uk which was about trade + vat before the new V5.

I also have a laminator which makes messing with sticky back plastic a joke. I have done the River Ba (west of the main road) to Perth all on A4 sheets and laminated this week ready for May. Use a OHP pen (permanent) on the maps for adding notes times etc. You can place text boxes on the map if you already have the info.

I have a file at work that has the rivers we use all over the uk. They are laminated with initial notes and post trip notes, so that we all have the benefit of hindsight.

PB
    This is basically what I want to do. It looks a great approach. We've got a laminator too. Combined with a GPS you can mark interesting places accurately on the maps for later use - camp spots, lunch spots, danger areas, put-ins/outs, etc. I really like the idea of compiling a library of trips / info for future use. Plus you could publish on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    Don, I had a look in my map drawer and the only relevant two I have are:

Explorer 377 Loch Etive and Glen Orchy (covers most of Loch Etive, plus northern Loch Awe)

Explorer 413 Knoydart Loch Hourn. (a bit further north than you mentioned).

If either or both are any good for you I can bring 'em to the meet.
    yes by all means bring em along. I'm sure they will help in the planning or the fireside discussions if nothing else
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

Default Maps

Hi,

Forgot to say that you can get each individual Canadian province on disc that is compatible with Memory Map, so even your dreams can get closer to reality.

The fly through on some of the canyons on the Nahanni begin to bring it alive but not as impressive as the real thing. Do bear in mind that some areas have not got round to creating colour maps as yet.

if you can get ariel cartography as well this can give you extra info, although i do not think it is available for the whole of Alba yet.