Thread: Tipi Fans

Default Tipi Fans

Had to go to Penrith for work yesterday so followed the usual routine with lunch fro Cranstons (get there at the right time and you don't need to spend any cash just fill up on all the delicious free samples on offer!) followed by a stroll around Go Outdoors.

As I strolled round the outdoor tent display (enjoying the pre-May Day rain, sleet and snow) i came across the Robens Fairbanks - 4 person tipi with inner, looked very nice _ 400!
    Andy,
    (Cumbria)

Just spotted a Robens Klondyke on eBay yesterday. A 4m poly-cotton bell tent with peak venting and factory stove flue hole. Look like a good compromise between a Tipi and a Bell.
    They do some other nice things too.
    http://www.robens.de/en/Products/Tents

Gotta love Cranstons.

I used to hold meetings in the cafe in a previous job, and they sell 5 litre kegs of Loweswater Gold.
    Cheers, Michael.

Brute Force and Ignorance is Vastly Underrated.

"There is magic in the feel of a paddle and the movement of a canoe, a magic compounded of distance, adventure, solitude, and peace."
    -Sigurd Olson

I think I might start taking 5L kegs of loweswater to meetings from now on. Back in Penrith today popped into Cranstons for late lunch about 14:30 - NO FREEBIES- for want of a better expression, “not a sausage!”
    Andy,
    (Cumbria)

Quote Originally Posted by firedfromthecircus View Post
    Just spotted a Robens Klondyke on eBay yesterday. A 4m poly-cotton bell tent with peak venting and factory stove flue hole. Look like a good compromise between a Tipi and a Bell.
    They do some other nice things too.
    http://www.robens.de/en/Products/Tents
    Difficult to get much info on Robens tents (and others such as BCT), as their own websites have a dearth of imagery and specs. Robens do have a video, but it doesn't really show the tent as far as the Fairbanks is concerned, which as a design intrigues me. Are these single skin tents now impervious to the "don't touch the inside when raining" philosophy...is that now a myth?

Mind you at that price, it looks like I'll have to stay in the GC Standard with extended fly..................

"GC Standard with extended fly".......yummy, I've only got the GC Major, cracking tent.

Robens make high quality tents, I've got a Double Dreamer and is as solid as a rock when pitched tight and at 5000mm keeps the water out. Also got a Golite Hex 3 and Vango Juno 800 which are single skin but well ventilated so condensation is no great problem.
    All the best,
    Richard
    Retired bushcrafter now happy camper

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3 View Post
    "GC Standard with extended fly".......yummy, I've only got the GC Major, cracking tent.

Robens make high quality tents, I've got a Double Dreamer and is as solid as a rock when pitched tight and at 5000mm keeps the water out. Also got a Golite Hex 3 and Vango Juno 800 which are single skin but well ventilated so condensation is no great problem.
    Only??Wanna down size the Major?..........I've 3 Standards, but would SERIOUSLY love a good Major.....(that reads just a little weird)

Quote Originally Posted by laurence milton View Post
    Difficult to get much info on Robens tents (and others such as BCT), as their own websites have a dearth of imagery and specs. Robens do have a video, but it doesn't really show the tent as far as the Fairbanks is concerned, which as a design intrigues me. Are these single skin tents now impervious to the "don't touch the inside when raining" philosophy...is that now a myth?

Mind you at that price, it looks like I'll have to stay in the GC Standard with extended fly..................
    Robens have quite a lot of videos about their tents on utube and the testing things they do. Some companies (such as BCT) do seem to undersell themselves!

The Robens vidos (I've found 2 o the Fairbanks), although better than many, in at least they've dome something, don't really show the tent or tell you that much. Seeing them in the flesh (like BCT) is also difficult, although I did see one in a GoOutdoors store once

Seeing a BCT Task Force in the flesh is like hunting dragons!!

Seeing a BCT Task Force in the flesh is like hunting dragons!!
    Suddenly three come along at once?!

Only??Wanna down size the Major?..........I've 3 Standards, but would SERIOUSLY love a good Major.....(that reads just a little weird)
    Having owned them in the past I picked up the Major two years ago. I can't camp as often as I did but when I do I'm into orange cotton tents lol The Major or more recently a Force Ten Mk5 are tent of choice I may get rid of my Hex 3 and full nest inner, I need to check it out first as its not been used since 2012
    All the best,
    Richard

Re: BCT TF Tents, I've never owned one but a mate has and the tent is extremely well made, build quality I'd say is on a par with the old Blacks Mountain Tent/GC et al
    All the best,
    Richard