Thread: Loch Etive

Default Loch Etive

Does anyone have a copy of the tidetables for the Oban/ Falls of Lora area? I'm think of a paddling trip there at the end of May and I'm trying to work out what the tides will be doing. All the tide websites only give info for a few days in advance so are not much help.

Also, I read that there were a lot of fish farms in the lower loch now. Are they as bad as they sound or should we not let them put us off? Any alternatives without going too far North that people would like to recommend?

Chris
    "All right" said Eeyore "We're going. Only don't blame me"

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Default Mr Tides

For the Mac there's a free programme called MrTides which does the job for anywhere around Britain - I think the one for the PC is called X-tides

Alastair
    Last edited by Alastair Seagroatt; 23rd-March-2006 at 09:28 PM.

If you search the internet there are one or two that are 'academic' predictions that will give you anywhere, any time.

As a side note the fall of lora are always big in mid after noon, 'cos that is when the sun/moon coincidence is. (the peak tide)

Philip

Quote Originally Posted by philipoakley
    As a side note the fall of lora are always big in mid after noon, 'cos that is when the sun/moon coincidence is. (the peak tide)

Philip
    I don't think this is quite right. The peak flow will get later by about an hour each day due to the Earth spinning under the moons orbit and the moon moving on slightly within its orbit. The sun and moons alignment varies over roughly a four week period (lunar month) and results in two spring (tides with a greater range therefore greater peak flow) and two neap tides (tides with a smaller range and less peak flow).

To complicate things further the Earth and moon together move around the sun (once a year) and the distance from the sun and angle of the Earth to it produce bigger and smaller springs and neaps too.

Tide tables are a good idea!

I sort of knew that the comment may confuse. When all the kayakers & playboaters want to run the falls it is at the maximum of the tide cycle. It is that maximum which always ends up at the same place.

The time of the tide varies each day according to the position of the moon (as rightly stated).
    [The time of day varies with the position of the sun, obviously]
    Highest tides are when sun & moon are in phase.
    So the highest tides occur when the moon comes back round to being in sync with the sun, hence the same time of day.
    Happily (for the play boaters) the falls of lora are nicely during the day time hours.
    Does that clarify?

Philip
    [It's one of those "A moments thought will show that ..." problems!]
    Last edited by philipoakley; 24th-March-2006 at 06:13 PM.

Default Tide Tables

well I managed to download a copy of WXtide32 (mail me and I will pass on the zip file if you want a copy) so that should help and I found a website called www.fallsoflora.info which has info for playboaters with times of tides etc.

But no one came back to me about the fish farms...

Chris
    "All right" said Eeyore "We're going. Only don't blame me"

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Randall
    well I managed to download a copy of WXtide32 (mail me and I will pass on the zip file if you want a copy) so that should help and I found a website called www.fallsoflora.info which has info for playboaters with times of tides etc.

But no one came back to me about the fish farms...

Chris
    may take a look up Etive in end of april Chris (well were mainlanding for 2 weeks and its an option) - if so will let you know

Default Fish Farms

Hi Chris,

Was on Loch Etive last October, got in at Bon Awe so can't speak for the west end of the Loch, but there are two fish farms east of there, at Craig and Caderlie then it's as unspoilt as it gets. An occasional house or ruin then just hills and water until you get to the old peer at the top end. Think it's popular with sea yakers

It's a beautiful, peaceful place (apart from the tornadoes the day I paddled back), spent five days chilling out and exploring, only spoke to three people. There is a cruiser that runs up the loch from Airds Bay area, which will probably be running but it's not enough to spoil it. Sea eagles, seals, plenty of evidence of otters (not that I saw them in the flesh/fur) and free fishing....ahh fresh caught sea trout by Loch Etive : ) ....Damn, gotta go to work : ( .

Sorry for the late info, I'm new here. Figure late info is better than no info.