Thread: Loch Awe, etc

Default Loch Awe, etc

Hi All,

I would like to explore Loch Awe, probably start on the Loch above, paddle down the River Ford, along Loch Awe (maybe sailing ?), explore all around & then maybe descend the River Awe to the sea.

Like to try to fit in some time this year.

Anybody interested in coming along ?

Chas

potentially.

what time of year you planning. The wAy work is going at the moment then I might be able to escape in October or November.

al

I may be interested, but it depends on time of year and how much work I have on.
    If in doubt, hit it with a hammer!!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyads View Post
    I may be interested, but it depends on time of year and how much work I have on.

Hi Al & Jimmy,

Thanks for your response. Ideally I would go in May, but I'm self employed & it already looks rather busy, so may struggle to find a slot.

I think November may be pretty wild & woolly up there, Oct might not be too bad, but if possible I would like to get it done before the height of summer & the midge season. Having said that it is quite close to the coast so hopefully some gentle South Westerleys will keep them at bay & ease us up the Loch (famous last words .....).

Let's keep in touch & I'll post here as soon as I can firm up some dates. Alternatively happy to exchange email addresses / phone numbers & do it that way if it's easier. I'm thinking in terms of a week max duration (quite possibly a short week - including drive in & out). (But I want to allow a contingency for really bad weather.)

Will probably stay in a B&B near Loch Ederline the night I drive up. Then launch from there into Loch Ederline, down the River Ford (haven't seen it, so water levels permitting).

Weather permitting sail up Loch Awe (we could raft up if you don't have the kit), explore Loch Awe as we go (potential access / egress points for future reference), camp somewhere en-route if we find a nice spot, fire, food & chill. Carry on next day up to the mouth of the Orchy & Kilchurn Castle. Maybe camp again ? Then back towards the West & the entrance to River Awe & if we fancy it paddle down to the sea.

Obviously all this depends on weather, water conditions, etc. so may well be turned upside down. Main priorities for me are an enjoyable trip & a good recce of Loch Awe, but a bit of white water on the River would be a bonus.

Any thoughts ?

Chas

In case you haven't seen it, some info on the river:

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/r...ands/river-awe

I haven't tried the portage round the barrage but from what I remember the bank is quite steep so you may have trouble finding egress/access points close together - so a trolley would be useful for the road.

Thanks Chris - good plan, appreciate the info & link.

Chas

Matt & John did a blog on an Awe to Etive trip, which gives you a great idea of the River Awe descent. Looks fun, but definitely hard work and with plenty of rapids that need care/inspection/portage.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Thanks Mal, I'll have to try & find it.

Chas

Quote Originally Posted by ChasDWarren View Post
    Thanks Mal, I'll have to try & find it.

Chas
    Sorry, thought I'd linked it: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...-to-Loch-Etive
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Thanks Mal,

That's a great read - perfect.

Chas

Hi All,

I have now been able to tie a few things down & am planning to drive up to Loch Awe on Friday 3rd June, with a view to setting off on Sat 4th June.

Anybody interested in joining me on those dates ?

Hoping to do Loch Ederline, River Ford, explore Loch Awe & then hopefully River Awe, depending on water states, etc.

Chas

Hi All,

I have now been able to tie a few things down & am planning to drive up to Loch Awe on Friday 3rd June, with a view to setting off on Sat 4th June.

Anybody interested in joining me on those dates ?

Hoping to do Loch Ederline, River Ford, explore Loch Awe & then hopefully River Awe, depending on water states, etc.

Chas

Now set to go North on Fri 3rd June & start on Sat 4th, water permitting on Loch Ederline, then River Ford, Loch Awe, River Awe.

Anyone free ?

Hi All,

Slight revision - now travelling up Wed 1st June, set off Thur 2nd. Explore Loch Awe, wild camp. food cooked on wood, etc.

Anyone else free ?